• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Storyline

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
I can make a storyline. Or could in POTC. Don't know if this knowledge can be useful in this new UDK thing.

When storylines were discussed the the brainstorming thread it seemed that there would not be too much trouble doing them. I suspect Hammie would know the most about that.
I would like to see some of the POTC storylines adapted to UDK. Perhaps it would only take new locators on the as yet unmade maps and new models to replace the old ones.

Your work will be invaluable Jack! We will definitely need some storyline's once we get the basics figured out, that may take a little while though. Ideas are the main thing at the moment, we will need some good pirate story's to offset all the Naval stuff. We are planning on having many nationality's, but even characters with nationalities we are not focusing on would really help flesh out the game a bit in my opinion.

Creating storylines should be much easier. No complicated scripting will be required. You can basically do it inside the editor and use Kismet for scripting.

Some examples:
  • You can drop locators inside the editor where needed
  • Visual scripting with lovely colors instead of strange looking lines of code :)
  • You can move the camera for more cinematic cutscenes
  • Add facial animations that match dialog
  • Have npc's engage in 1v1 combat rather than just setting them to aggressive. Allow for more organized battles.
And you can get immediate feedback on any off the above...

But we would need content to create stories for first. You could however familiarize yourself with Kismet if you wanted.

For the moment I can't help at all. I'll check out Kismet and will be in a 'stand-by' mode
for later activation. Also busy with a new storyline for POTC.

I would like to see some of the POTC storylines adapted to UDK.
I don't think it's realistic to export WoodesRogers to completely new environments (if someone wants to).
The story is so deeply dependent on it's locations.

Making new storylines will require a LOT of work, I'm certain. In fact, I'd be surprised if ANYTHING could be straight-out copied. :facepalm

Back