• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Stuck after boarding certain quest ships that trigger a reload

Unless it's the Sirena, in which case the ship may sink and so will your game - see the above screenshot, that's what I'm guessing happened there. ;) It doesn't matter if you assign an officer or not, boarding the Sirena (or the third ship if you're defending Bridgetown) will hang the game; you have to sink the ship by cannon fire. This was already known. But if @vince villodres did sink the Sirena by shooting it to bits and the game got stuck anyway, we have a new problem. Hence my question. ;)

Sounds like there is a consistent bug with boarding quest ships that are supposed to trigger a reload to shore afterwards.
That deserves a proper Bug Tracker report.

Does anyone know since when that happens? And I understand there are two examples of this:
1. Ship "Sirena" containing Silehard's jewelry collection
2. Bridgetown invading squadron during Standard storyline
3. Animist ships that attack the "Montanez" during the Strange Things sidequest (therefore currently unboardable)

Last edited:
Sirena is the ship which has Silehard's jewellery collection during the main quest of the Standard storyline.

In addition, the Animist ships which attack the Montanez as part of the "Strange things happening in the archipelago" side quest used to have the same problem until someone "fixed" it by making them unboardable.

As far as I know, the Sirena and the battleships at Bridgetown have always been a problem in Build 14; they were certainly never a problem in Build 13. The Animist ships in "Strange Things Happening" are also nothing new in Build 14 and were fine in Build 13; the "fix" to make them unboardable dates way back in Build 14's history.

Sounds like there is a consistent bug with boarding quest ships that are supposed to trigger a reload to shore afterwards.
That deserves a proper Bug Tracker report.

Does anyone know since when that happens? And I understand there are two examples of this:
1. Ship "Sirena" containing Silehard's jewelry collection
2. Bridgetown invading squadron during Standard storyline
3. Animist ships that attack the "Montanez" during the Strange Things sidequest (therefore currently unboardable)

They have been like this since build 14 beta 1 in January 2010.

Been looking at the problem of not being able to board the last/third ship in the siege. The problem is that the reload/teleport to the next scene occurs during bordage so that the return from bordage screws up the game leaving you looking at ocean with most keys locked.

Tried a few things but in fact it turns out there is an existing condition check (SeaEnter) someone has added to quest.checks since the stock game which effectively does the requisite hold on the teleport to next case until after bordage is complete (perhaps this was why/how it worked inbuild 13 as referred to by @Grey Roger). It works consistently when in place on my Build 14 3.4 saved game. So it seems changing the 4th win.condition to SeaEnter allows you to board all three ships if you want and continue as normal. I suspect (but haven't tested) that this could solve the problem with the Animist ships too (which have been made unboardable) and possibly other breaks in quest occuring by boarding target vessels.

For the siege the required code in quests.reaction.c is

Pchar.quest.Story_RepelEnglishAssaultOnGreenford.win_condition.l4 = "SeaEnter";

placed in case "to_suadron": (although this is currently linked with the preceding case).

Very nice! :woot

Indeed I remember @konradk added that check which was certainly a very useful one.
I seem to remember using it for replacing the Black Pearl with the uncursed one at the end of the Standard Storyline.

Ideally at some point I'll be wanting to play through the various quests to see what happens and what needs tweaking.
If only I could find the time and opportunity. :facepalm

For the Silena quests.reaction.c needs

pchar.quest.return_idol_from_frigate.win_condition.l2 = "SeaEnter";

pchar.quest.return_idol_from_frigate1.win_condition.l2 = "SeaEnter";

adding in the right place in case "Greenford_commander_fight_exit":

For Animists

comment out the two lines making the ships unboardable

//Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_04"), false);
//Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_05"), false);

in case "prepare_for_barkue":

and add

pchar.quest.animists_drown.win_condition.l3 = "SeaEnter";

in case "to_greenford_for_montanez_complete":

I'll do that once I have the latest download and zip installed. Then it will just need testing in play.

if it works let us know and we will include it in the next update.

For the Silena quests.reaction.c needs

pchar.quest.return_idol_from_frigate.win_condition.l2 = "SeaEnter";

pchar.quest.return_idol_from_frigate1.win_condition.l2 = "SeaEnter";

adding in the right place in case "Greenford_commander_fight_exit":

For Animists

comment out the two lines making the ships unboardable

//Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_04"), false);
//Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_05"), false);

in case "prepare_for_barkue":

and add

pchar.quest.animists_drown.win_condition.l3 = "SeaEnter";

in case "to_greenford_for_montanez_complete":

I'll do that once I have the latest download and zip installed. Then it will just need testing in play.
Thanks! If you don't have time to merge this with the latest update, you're also welcome to upload your own copy of the file.
I can merge it too; there haven't been too many changes to the relevant files anyway. :no

Here are the relevant two files for the latest version.

I have changed

Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_04"), false); + similarly (and Man_05)

to

Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Mystery_Man_04"), true); + (and Man_05)
in quests.side rather than just comment them out because my first attempt in build 14 3.4 apparently still wouldn't allow boarding, to test that the quest would continue -- I don't know if this is enough to open boarding on the animists ship - maybe a new game is required but I don't see why it would be. There is an attribute ch.nosurrender = 2; in TempQuest for both characters (04 and 05) for which I don't what the effect is?

I will continue to try and test this from my saved games in 3.4 (I have saves just before each to test).

Attachments

• quests_side.7z
    36.9 KB · Views: 152
  • quests_reaction.7z
    41.2 KB · Views: 146
There is an attribute ch.nosurrender = 2; in TempQuest for both characters (04 and 05) for which I don't what the effect is?
Means their crew will fight to the death. No surrender and no survivors.

Which quests_reactions is this?
For the standard storyline?

Which quests_reactions is this?
For the standard storyline?

Yes it's the standard storyline.

The two instances of boarding crash this may solve are three ships siege (Tested OK in 3.4) and the frigate carrying the idol away after you talk to Blacklock in prison about getting the idol. It doesn't address the Governor's Native Art collection at Bonaire (ship is the Silena) which doesn't use win.condition coding but does employ "reload" jumps - that requires a bit more scrutiny ( I haven't actually played that way through to see how boarding breaks the quest).

The quests.side deals with the animist ships near Barbados in Strange things - but may still not be boardable

Last edited:
Back