• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Stuck in New Granada mainland

I'm still getting stuck in the New Granada mainland and I can't sail out! Is this a bug or something because this is really annoying!

Load your last save before that happened. Do that any time you have a problem like that. It's not that hard.

Just point your bow North and sail for a couple of days. That way you don't lose all of your progress from the last save.

I feel like this question has been asked and explained more than once this week.

Don't think this is a bug but just a glitch which happens sometimes. If I'm wrong please correct me and provide log files and a savegame.

This is something that will probably take a modeler to fix as it is a difference between the direct sail map and the world map. If you sail away from Cartagena and follow the coastline like you want to direct sail to Aruba you will find that you just can not seem to get there, so go to the world map. There you find that you are well inland and can not get back to the sea as the border between the land and sea will block you.

The work around is to go back to direct sail and sail North for 2 days or so and then you will be clear of South America and can direct sail again.

As Hylie describes it, this does sound like an engine glitch relating to the very large landmass present in DirectSail. Obviously, the DirectSail system was never designed to deal with a continental coastline, so in a way I'm not surprised there are issues.

I'm not sure if this could be fixed properly, either. Perhaps having multiple different locations dotted along the coastline would improve things, but each location would require a separate model of the coastline with a shifted point of origin. Getting the origin to match up with the World Map location 'zones' would be extremely difficult (and a discrepancy here is probably what's causing the issue), let alone the amount of work needed to re-export the coastline model several times over.

So instead, do you think we should disable DirectSail when the continent is loaded, or perhaps leave it enabled but provide an on-screen message advising users not to sail in a certain direction?

I think a course-dependent log message should be quite possible. Would have to go somewhere in CCCdirectsail.c .

Back