• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Suggestion: Training your crew and Jury rigging

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
Throughout my CoAS experience, I have been plagued by sadly inexperienced crews and their lack of fighting ability. I have almost no experience modding the game, and some of these suggestions might be impossible, but just in case:

Exercising the great guns: In the novels, an at least weekly activity for Jack Aubry's crew. I think it might be possible to create a new kind of ship with very high hit points, but nearly nonexistent speed and maneuverability, and no crew walking around on deck, made to look like an empty floating cask or barrel with a flag attached.
With an expenditure of planks, timbers, or the like, the player can have one appear some short distance from his ship, and fire on it just as he would fire upon any other hostile vessel. This should be more expensive than just spewing broadsides into the horizon, and work much more quickly on the crew's gunnery skill. However, this would only be useful to those of us who enjoy role playing and authenticity, since you could just as easily go and attack some small enemy merchantman.

Exercising the small arms: Soldier/ crew's combat skill increases,but with some penalty: the reduction of morale, for example, due to the tedious practice. It could also be accompanied by an expense, to pay for the expended powder and bullets.

This next one is probably impossible, or at least impractical:

Jury rigging destroyed masts W/ extra planks and sailcloth. Whenever a mast went by the board, carpenters would have to replace it with improvised rigging, such as an extra spar and some sailcloth. This would add some authenticity to the game, but again is probably highly impractical.

complaint: new version cmod some weapons don't match names and descriptions, many are looking more like fantasy weapons (like the pole axe, it used to look like an authentic boarding axe) also period book names would be nice.

I'd also like to request that Stephen Maturin be added as a recruitable officer, or even playable character, since he was an intelligence agent in the books, highly skilled with the pistol and blade. It just doesn't seem right that when I'm playing as Jack Aubrey that I don't have him as my surgeon.

I'm not sure about your first two suggestions but the third one is something I would like to see too. Ideally, you would acquire him after completing a quest, problem is....I'm not sure anyone who mods CoAS knows how to make a working quest yet.

Although the Blood quest comes to mind in this regard because after you finish his first mission, the game assigns you some officers. I've always wondered if that function could be applied to other missions.

Since the game distinguishes Blood from every one else, we would have to do something similar for the other officers, for example when you play as Aubrey, he gets Maturin or Pullings and playing as Sparrow can get Gibbs. If that is too complicated to implement at first, the next best thing could be to make it so any character can do a certain mission and the end reward would be the officer.

Hear him! hear him!

I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels and am on Mauritus Command right now. I think it would not be to hard to make Stephen Maturin a recruitable officer and I would love to add Tom Pullings as a hero so I will pass this on top the teem.

As for the other suggestions, there was a capability of laying mines with the expenditure of some materials so I think "Exercising the Great Guns" would work if we had a coder to help of which we are short at the moment. I dont know how we could do Jury rigging. But it would be nice. Maybe someone from the PoTC Build teem could pull it off when they are not so bussy with the Build mod.

Have you two seen the Hornblower TV series or read the Bounty tillage?

Hear him! hear him!

I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels and am on Mauritus Command right now. I think it would not be to hard to make Stephen Maturin a recruitable officer and I would love to add Tom Pullings as a hero so I will pass this on top the teem.

As for the other suggestions, there was a capability of laying mines with the expenditure of some materials so I think "Exercising the Great Guns" would work if we had a coder to help of which we are short at the moment. I dont know how we could do Jury rigging. But it would be nice. Maybe someone from the PoTC Build teem could pull it off when they are not so bussy with the Build mod.

Have you two seen the Hornblower TV series or read the Bounty tillage?

I'm glad to hear that the the cannons might almost-kindof-possibly work. The only major changes I've made were to Mount and Blade, so I'm not really familiar with the game's limitations.
As to the Hornblower series, I've been wanting to watch some of it, but right now I'm spending all my time finishing Aubrey/Maturin.

Edit: since were on the topic, ideally, you'd also have to add Bonden and Killick. I'm half way through Aubry/Maturin, and so far, they've followed Jack everywhere, acting as servants in his manor when he is between commissions. (another one of my favorite quotes is on pg 114 of my version of The Surgeon's Mate It's the one about the pony.) He even gets into a heated verbal argument with one of his superiors about his right to retain them in his crew after leaving the Leopard.

Done the roster already from the start in RPGUtilite.c.
Maturin is already ingame as the apothecary from PotC called "maturin.gm". From Patrick O´Brians descriptions and seeing the movie, there is a resemblance to Thomas Pullings in the Peter Blood model - scar and ponytail. He does not describe Bonden, but the movie makes me suggest Pitt.gm as him, and Mr Allen the sailmaster/navigator as captain_4.gm. Mr Lamb is in my imagination the large Alexander, civilian clothes and strong craftman hands. I am in doubt with Mr. White, the master-gunner and Mr. Hollar, the boatswain, I use random models for them. These characters I defined in Character_init.c, as it does not work to define them elsewhere.

...Although it would be preferable to make a short quest of assembling them from taverns and locations, maybe even pressing them from ships around the archipelago with some kind of quest/special item letter of trust from the King (read "The Letter of Marque").

I would´nt have a clue about the targets for practicing, but it would be of use to any captain/player. I guess a locator is needed on both sides of the ship to spawn the "boat" made of barrels? And the frequency of this feature would be limited to the number of days it takes for a ship to consume/empty the barrels for practice use, which alternatively would be thrown overboard. Just my 5 cents.

Well this is good news because it means that it is all possible and some of it is already done and just needs to be ported into CoAS!
danse1.gif

Back