• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Suggestions and a few bugs

Can you upload that ENGINE.EXE so I can put it in the next update?

Err, it is in post #35 of this thread.

I also got into a situation where the stuttering happened again, but it took a large battle fleet to do it. Maybe adding more memory would help more and I will be looking at it later. In Winmerge only one line has been changed but I do not remember how to do that stuff anymore.

Err, it is in post #35 of this thread.
Woops! I saw that post on my phone instead of on my computer and didn't notice there was actually a link there. :facepalm

In Winmerge only one line has been changed but I do not remember how to do that stuff anymore.
How to do what stuff? I know how to use WinMerge, but don't know how to mess around with EXE files.

There was a time many years ago when I did hex editing, but I was never very good at it and have now forgotten almost everything. Mostly it is just tedious. TOOL is an auto hex editor as when you change something in TOOL it automatically hex edits it.

Right now I am looking at the EXE in XVI32 and have found the changes and now just need to relearn how to do it meself.

HEX editing GM files to change the textures they refer to is easy. Changing anything else...? Not so much.... :wp

Well, it was fun while it lasted but the stuttering is back with a vengeance. It is hard to watch the screen and I just check it on the hour to adjust for the wind. :rumgone

Frame rates have dropped dramatically as well.

There is just absolutely NO consistency with that problem, is there?

I have to say I have been tinkering with ram settings trying to get more stability, an effort that did not work out, and the ram timings are back where they were before. It is pretty smooth again but fps is still low.

So now it looks like the problem is memory oriented. I have 16 gb but POTC does not want to use it.

I'm going to tempt fate and say that so far, the new "ENGINE.exe" has made a very big difference. Since installing it, I have not had one crash after boarding a ship and looting chests, whereas before I'd have had at least one such crash and usually more during every play session. Of course, now I've said that, it's probably going to crash during the next boarding. xD But if not, this bug, which for me has always been the most annoying "feature" of Build 14, appears to be squashed. :onya

Update: after some heavy-duty playing during the weekend, including several boardings which would almost certainly have involved a few crashes before, this bug does indeed appear to be an ex-bug.

Last edited:
Lads, the link at the post (http://www.filedropper.com/engine) at this moment points to an engine.zip this time, which contains .ini files for another game I think, not an exe.
I think that dropfile was overwritten with this one. Im sure at least two of you have the modified exe :D can you upload it to Piratesahoy! So it won't be lost again?
Im sure its included in the Build mod, but I would like to take a peek to the exe itself- and maybe someone only needs the updated POTC exe, not any other mods

Also, it's not the 4gb memory patch I was talking about- I'ts changed the heap memory to 8mb.

The thing Im talking about is how mutch ram can and will an exe allocate for itself. Old games usually speed up with a 4gb patch, IF the user have 4 or more gigs of ram.

Lads, the link at the post (http://www.filedropper.com/engine) at this moment points to an engine.zip this time, which contains .ini files for another game I think, not an exe.
I think that dropfile was overwritten with this one. Im sure at least two of you have the modified exe :D can you upload it to Piratesahoy! So it won't be lost again?
Im sure its included in the Build mod, but I would like to take a peek to the exe itself- and maybe someone only needs the updated POTC exe, not any other mods
I think I put it already in here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/attachments/b14_b3-5_wip27may2014-zip.21115/
Though that file will be removed next time I post another proper update EXE.

So the 4gb patch does a different thing than this memory fix.

I would upload the 4gb patcher I use, a very old one :D (good for old games...) but I actually found the website: the guy is still updating it, and it seems he didn't changed the 4gb patcher at all since 2007 as its good as is.
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Read it trough if you want. if you want to try it out, make a backup copy of your engine.exe.

It should give you the chance that the exe uses 4gb of ram instead of maximum 2.

Edit1:

Engine.zip link

Yaaaay, thank you!!!!! :D

I just patched my POTC.EXE and will see if it helps. Actually I doubt if it will as POTC uses almost no ram to begin with.

I just compared my POTC.EXE with the 8mb patch to a new POTC.EXE that I thought had been successfully patched with this 4 gb gizmo in Winmerge, but they are identical. o_O

What does the 4gb patch actually patch?

4gb patch modifies a flag I think, what lets POTC use 4gb max instead of 2.

But the author might have some blog or forum posts about the mechanism, or on the issue if some exe is not modified

There are also other similar pacthes, I just had this in my hands at the moment :)

This is the one I was used for Star Wars The Old republic MMO, to actually -remove- the flag XD but it can set it also.
I think it does not touches the exe? just modifies OP system flags for it. Im not a windows programmer. Wait... I am, but just junior XD

With this one you can actually also check if an exe have that flag enabled, and enable if it isn't.

Edit1:

Of course, the 4gb flag is only useful when bazillion of ships fight a great battle, or by any means the dated exe start to eat ram, and maybe reaches the ceiling. One of the claims against POTC storm engine was that it uses too mutch resources when it comes to show more than 4 ships at once, as I remember those days. I think it's best to be tried together with the 8mb exe patch

Attachments

• Large Address Aware.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Back