• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Supported texture maps?

taro8

HoO Team Member
2D Artist
Provisional
Hi, I would like what kind of texture maps the game will support.

There are few kinds and it would be best if all of them could be used:

diffuse - this is just the standard colorful texture we know and love
normal map - simulates bumps and texture
specular map - simulates the way texture reflects light
displacement map - basically normal map on steroids. This one Im really interested with, as having support for it would allow for even better looking models without additional modelling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_mapping

@taro8, the game will support most of the (now) current gen graphics technology, including Parallax Occlusion Mapping, PBR, multilayer materials, AO. We are looking into visual fidelity, comparable to any contemporary title, the power of engine and third party tools we are using can be seen in Captain Murphy's videos, even if the assets themselves are not quite polished.
We are also writing custom shaders, which allows us to use many specific textures for neat visual effects, like heightmaps for POM or directional maps for hair shading.
We have also acquired Allegorithmic's Substance Designer, and are looking into making textures procedurally, that will certainly help to fit our huge ambitions to a downloadable size.
That said, we are always looking for learning-hungry texture artists, to help us realize this great potential!

For texture I would suggest you looking at Filter Forge program, it allows creating texture generating filters and using HUGE database of already generated filters. The great thing of filter forge is that it allows to change settings of particular filters. If you get Filter Forge on sale you can get it for like 200$ (standard price 399$), but you gain access to whole user filter database along with ability to create your own filters.

BTW: Where can I apply for the texture work? Im handy with PS and did quite some 3D modeling as well (mainly for Medieval Total War 2 and some for Skyrim).

EDIT: At this very moment (21.01.2015) there is a sale for filter forge (79$): https://www.filterforge.com/buy/

Last edited:
As far as I know, Filter Forge does mostly the same thing as Substance Designer, except it being done procedurally on run-time. So it's not that useful really, for photoreferenced work most people are completely competent to make their own filters in PS, and if one is content with aesthetics of procedural texture, mostly because it's a 50KB substance that's generated on runtime. As you have noticed, we really love Substance work :)

We would be very glad to have some help with textures, @Armada or @Captain Murphy should add you to the team, and suggest an assignement.

Were we doing just static textures then I could see a use for Filter Forge, but as far as I have read in the FF documentation Substance Designer and Painter seem to do the same thing with the added benefit as @Ashinokami said of doing it at runtime.

We can always use a hand with textures. Plus, you can bug Ashinokami and work on how the substances interact with the shaders. I have a bunch of example substance files from my purchase of SD and SP so there are lots of variations to look at.

Back