• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Surprise, Surprise! ENGINE.EXE Trouble!! Please help!

robdeledge

Landlubber
EDIT: Sorry about thread name i'm not blaming anyone for this problem it was really just to catch your attention!

ALSO: Find below in one of my posts my log files where you can hopefully find my error!

So I downloaded the build 13 final mod and was setting up the game, picked my character and it was loading the new game when it crashed. I got the infamous ENGINE.EXE has stopped working message. I thought the build would fix that problem because I couldn't play the original game at all on my current Vista laptop, but obviously not!

I've seen in other topics people asking for your error log to see what the problem is, so if someone could please tell me how to enable this, that would help.

Also i've seen people talk about Swiftshader, but when I went to the website to download it, I got an error.

All your help is appreciated, if build 13 is not working properly and faulty, could someone please recommend a build that works fine? I really just want to play this game again, it's been so long!

Thanks!

Rob

Original game didnt work?

System Specs ;)
Nope original had the same problem

Specs:

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite Pro A300

Running: Windows Vista 32bit

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200

Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family

Do you need anything else? I don't really understand any of this stuff so dunno what else you need but hopefully this is ok :?

Just to let you know I followed Pieter's advice from a different topic on installing the game to C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean instead of the usual Vista directory. I currently have build 13 installed and just can't play it at all. It crashes at different points like sometimes I get into the town of Oxbay and then it crashes or other times it crashes straight away!

I found the swiftshader thing and at first it helped but it too crashed the game so I got rid of it for now just so I have the bare minimum till I see what you guys say to do! :onya

Video card and RAM count? Processor?
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T3200

Video Card: Mobile Intel® 45 Express Chipset Family

Um RAM count? Not sure what that is so if you could tell me so I can get you that info that would be great?

EDIT:I think this is my RAM count but correct me if this sounds crazy or wrong!

RAM: 2.00 GB

Going to try uninstalling the game (FOR THE 3RD TIME TODAY LOL) to get rid of the build to try the original game with swiftshader, which i've seen has been successful in other topics, but if anyone can find a work around for build 13 please let me know as i'm eager to try it out!

There are several ideas on how to enable error logs. These settings in my B13 engine folder work for me.
tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0

Isn't it supposed to be engine.h or engine.c or something?

PS: Better take this with a grain of salt. It looks like a bomb went off in my B13 folder with many more files running around loose than there used to be. It did have a bad hiccup last night, but began running ok again.

There are several ideas on how to enable error logs. These settings in my B13 engine folder work for me.
tracefilesoff = 0
[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 0

Isn't it supposed to be engine.h or engine.c or something?

PS: Better take this with a grain of salt. It looks like a bomb went off in my B13 folder with many more files running around loose than there used to be. It did have a bad hiccup last night, but began running ok again.
ye I tried what you said with the original game, no mods, and I did notice the mess of files, but it didn't bother me! The game started suddenly working fine up to a minute ago. I got to the point in the quest where I have to take back Oxbay by leading a group through the forests and it keeps crashing, i've tried 5 times now! Anyone got a suggestion? Also no sign of an error log yet so if someone can help me there too.....

Its your video card that is the problem, intel cards cause a lot of problems for games.

Get Swiftshader from here and if you want the mods make sure you dont have the original game in your PROGRAM FILES... Put it somewhere like C:/My Games

Its your video card that is the problem, intel cards cause a lot of problems for games.

Get Swiftshader from here and if you want the mods make sure you dont have the original game in your PROGRAM FILES... Put it somewhere like C:/My Games
ok thanks i'll try that now cos the swiftshader i got seemed to have less files than this one so hopefully it'll work!

Crashed again after I picked my character and clicked start new game so I got my log files here for you guys.

Here's a run down of everything I have done so far after my latest installation attempt:

1)Installed original game to C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean .

2)Installed Build 13 Final over that file (C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean).

3)Installed Swiftshader and extracted it to C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean.

4)Changed Map speed to 1.0

5)Changed a few things in BuildSettings.h, like activating cheats ;)

6)Started a new game to find it crashes once I pick my character and click to start the game. (Attempted this twice, crashed at same point both times).

This will be the last time I try to get the game working as i'm fed up with it now tbh! :urgh So all yur help is appreciated and hopefully I can get POTC running!

Attachments

• system.log
    483 bytes · Views: 188
  • compile.log
    2.3 KB · Views: 196
Can you try installing swiftshader on top of the stock version of the game and see if that runs :yes

Dont need to tell me its a busy time of the year :yes

I have 4 more assignments due in the next 2 weeks and handed in 2 in the last week

Which OS are you running? Windows 7? In this case, make sure to install to another directory than the default (e.g. c:\Games\POTC), right click on Engine.exe, choose Properties > Compatibility and run the game in XP compatibility mode. Also use Swiftshader (as mentioned above) - otherwise your video card is not supported by the game.

Are you saying that the unmodded game crashes for you too? What's your graphics card?

I'm running Windows Vista but have installed the game in an alternative directory anyway (C:\Games\POTC).

Unfortunately Pieter I have an intel graphics card which I know causes problems and are a lot of hassle! Mine is a Mobile Intel® 45 Express Chipset Family. The rest of my specs are listed in a previous post if you want any other specs. It's been a few months since I tried fixing the game, has anyone come up with a solution since?

Back