• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Sviatoi Piotr (St. Peter) snow

We haven't decided on a lot of those things for HoO yet, but here's what we know so far:
There is no official polygon limit for the models yet, though the detail level should definitely be at least as high as the best models for PotC/CoAS.
All decks will need to be modelled right down to the hold, and cannons should be excluded from the model, as they will be separate models added in-game.

The model will need to use different Levels of Detail (LODs) to reduce the number of polys on screen at long distances.
Again, no specifics on that for now, but I would expect there to be at least three LODs: the high quality base mesh, a medium-quality mesh, and a low quality mesh.

The collision model will be a simplified version of the entire mesh (again excluding cannons), unlike path models for PotC/CoAS.
We don't know how the damage model will work yet, so there's no need for damaged parts to be modelled at this time.

Yep. The cabin will probably be pretty crucial to the game, so it does need to be fully modelled.

Still a bit busy. It'll probably work better if you tell me what part of the anchor and hawse/bits/etc. you are working on so I can post the reference material in a more efficient manner. It might be awhile before I can get everything uploaded at once.

Rider Mate,

She is a very pretty model. I hope you will consider releasing her without all of the cabin details as well - for those of us still obsessed with the Storm based games. I would love to include her in the GOF Eras mod release that will be coming very soon.

MK

Nothing wrong with a good cabin, is there? :p
Good point though, it's definitely worth releasing a version more suited to the Storm Engine. That mostly means leaving out any decks below the waterline.

Nothing wrong with a good cabin, is there? :p

Indeed!

advertising_tins_036logcabin.jpg

I think I'll have some pancakes right now in fact. Mmmmm

An update: yards, capstan, stern light, binnacle, windows.
I also adjusted the normals and made an alternative paint scheme. Anchors are not finished yet, so they are not shown on the screenshots.

SP22.jpg
SP19.jpg
SP20.jpg
SP18.jpg
SP23.jpg

I have a question about the topgallant yards. On the majority of plans and drawings this vessel is shown without them and it is OK for transports or merchant vessels of that time. But I found one drawing of this snow with topgallants and it is more natural for a naval vessel to carry them. So I wonder if the community could decide which version suits better. Thanks.

I personally like her with the two sail per mast rig she has in the original picture in your first post. That arrangement also denotes an older rig and she would be at home in a 1690-1715 era setting.

I LOVE the new color scheme as well! Although I like the original just as much too.

Perhaps you could release two versions as you did with SeaNorris' Neptunus (an earlier AND later rigged version), because I like the three sails per mast version also. If I had to choose between the two though I would choose the two sail per mast arrangement.

So beautiful! :bow

MK

Is that a compass in the 3rd pic? And will it work?

That's a small well armed ship so it seems like it would more naturally be a naval or pirate vessel. I'm inclined towards 3 sails, but wouldn't mind seeing 2 versions.

Unless you want another 'wind indicator' like on LuggerVML, I don't think the compass will move.
Not that it matters though; the on-screen compass is there for a reason. :wp

One thing that I've missed all this time is that the lower masts and topmasts and topmasts and t'gallant masts shouldn't be touching each other at any point, unless your rigging plan specifically indicates otherwise. There should be about a foot of separation between them like so:
(look directly above the tops and below the cap)
DSCN1422.jpg
Note that only the lower mast is entirely square in that area:
IMG_1399.jpg
The upper mast shouldn't neccesarilly be sticking out the bottom of the crosstrees or tops.

On to the yards- Two squares per mast would definitely provide enough sail area for such a shallow vessel. The t'gallants are so large that they only would have been pulled out in nice weather. Two versions would be nice though. We'll need the t'gallants for HoO eventually to fit with the initial time frame.

I like the new paint. Looks good.

One thing that I've missed all this time is that the lower masts and topmasts and topmasts and t'gallant masts shouldn't be touching each other at any point, unless your rigging plan specifically indicates otherwise. There should be about a foot of separation between them like so:
(look directly above the tops and below the cap)
DSCN1422.jpg
Note that only the lower mast is entirely square in that area:
IMG_1399.jpg
The upper mast shouldn't neccesarilly be sticking out the bottom of the crosstrees or tops.

On to the yards- Two squares per mast would definitely provide enough sail area for such a shallow vessel. The t'gallants are so large that they only would have been pulled out in nice weather. Two versions would be nice though. We'll need the t'gallants for HoO eventually to fit with the initial time frame.

I like the new paint. Looks good.

Many thanks for an explanation! You're right, I've modeled the masts according to my plans and I was thinking a lot about those parts of the masts and their location. The reason why I decided to leave it as shown on the plans is that this is a Russian vessel and Russians always tried to place some innovations and unique technologies into their ships. Just remember the Goto Predestinacia (a prototype for COAS warship), she had a double keel in 1701 (!!!). But now I'm thinking about changing the masts according to the world standards of shipbuilding. The masts shown on the pictures above just look better, IMO.

That's a small well armed ship so it seems like it would more naturally be a naval or pirate vessel. I'm inclined towards 3 sails, but wouldn't mind seeing 2 versions.

No, I haven't planned a working compass. I just don't know how to make it.

Ok, so there will be two versions of the snow. One as shown on screens but without topgallants and the second one will have topgallants + jibboom + steering wheel instead of a tiller to look like a mid 18th century vessel.

BTW, what time period will be in HoO?

BTW, what time period will be in HoO?
Mid eighteenth century, to begin with (first storyline will be in the Seven Years' War). So your second version of the St. Peter sounds perfect. ;)

Any reference material will have to wait a few weeks. Going to Animas Bay for awhile with no phone reception or internet.

No problem. I still have a lot of work to do, besides anchors. Btw, can you suggest any reference material regarding cabin interiors? For example, I started to model a swinging cot for the captain (similar to the one I've seen inside the HMS Victory), but I have no idea if this type of cot was present in the first half of 18th century vessels?

Most of what I can tell you is that the hammock would (or should, if the captain is sloppy) have been taken down during the day. I can help with the decorations and accommodations based on the cabins I've actually observed after I get back next week, but I think you might be past that part by then.

Back to the masts- I'd support the standard spacing. The present arrangement looks very odd to the seaman's eye, and since we don't currently have a Russian faction, the snow will of course end up spattered across all the maritime powers of Europe. From a practical standpoint, that would have made plenty of commonplace operations like striking t'gallant masts or performing regular maintenance an absolute nightmare due to the lost room between the masts.

Rider mate I have been waiting for this beautiful little ship with baited breath for soooo long! :bounce:bounce:bounce

Have you finished it? Can we please have it? I'll give you my first born child. He is 26 now so wont be happy about it but whatever...:monkeydance

I hope you'll share your beautiful model soon!

MK

Back