• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Swordblocking doesn´t work

Black Sam Bellamy

Sailor Apprentice
I´m still at the very beginning of the game and can´t block with my sword during fights. I can fight with my sword and shoot with my pistol but i can´t block attacks with the space bar. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or do i have a bug?

Reporting bugs here is virtually completely pointless.
If anyone needs to know about them, it is the actual developers. And they generally aren't here.
If you want proper support from people who can actually help for real, there is only one good place to do it.
And it isn't here. :no

i didn't have any probs blocking.
the problem I have @ the moment is getting the 8K $ to hire sailors, how do I do that? I just got the ship, so what's next to do? I went out sailing and never could get to the map to sail for another island why is that??
:checklist:(:unsureo_O

Last edited:
After you gave the $ 8.000 to the captain in the tavern you receive the crew automaticly but that isn´t all. You have to talk to the barkeeper again for a navigator, then go to prison and try to free him but that isn´t possible at the moment. Then go to the banker and make a deal with him. Free his spanish friend from the pirates at Le Marin Cove by feet. Then return to the banker and avoid guards on your way back. You have to pass the city gate after 23 PM for that. Then take the Navigator from prison and meet him in your ships cabin. He will tell you what is all necessary for leaving. Ask for jobs, steel or play cards or dice in the tavern if you run out of money in between. Then travel to Le Francais Tavern and talk to the barkeeper there. Then enter and sink the pirates ship. ONLY AFTER ALL THAT you can sail to Guadeloupe and talk to Fadey (formerly Ascolds house from AoP2) before you can talk to your brother in Martinique again. After talking to your brother again, the introduction of the game ends and you are free for everything (depending on your momentary skills of course). If you want to free your brother at first for example, you have to ask Fadey in Guadeloupe for work. But most of that is also always written in your Quest log;)

Btw. I can only block enemies attacks with a Tomahawk in this game. With swords it isn´t possible anymore like Captain Sparrow said. I wonder why it´s possible for you:confused:

Last edited:
After you gave the $ 8.000 to the captain in the tavern you receive the crew automaticly but that isn´t all. You have to talk to the barkeeper again for a navigator, then go to prison and try to free him but that isn´t possible at the moment. Then go to the banker and make a deal with him. Free his spanish friend from the pirates at Le Marin Cove by feet. Then return to the banker and avoid guards on your way back. You have to pass the city gate after 23 PM for that. Then take the Navigator from prison and meet him in your ships cabin. He will tell you what is all necessary for leaving. Ask for jobs, steel or play cards or dice in the tavern if you run out of money in between. Then travel to Le Francais Tavern and talk to the barkeeper there. Then enter and sink the pirates ship. ONLY AFTER ALL THAT you can sail to Guadeloupe and talk to Fadey (formerly Ascolds house from AoP2) before you can talk to your brother in Martinique again. After talking to your brother again, the introduction of the game ends and you are free for everything (depending on your momentary skills of course). If you want to free your brother at first for example, you have to ask Fadey in Guadeloupe for work. But most of that is also always written in your Quest log;)

Btw. I can only block enemies attacks with a Tomahawk in this game. With swords it isn´t possible anymore like Captain Sparrow said. I wonder why it´s possible for you:confused:

I have 3K left from ship purchase and cant find anyone (talked to everyone in town and the pirate town for missions) and no way to raise 5K for the 8K I need to give the capt for the crew......ive watched all the youtube vids trying to figure out what to do next, and it ends after the cave fight. are there anymore missions after that? :dfiddle:modding:(:confused::unsure

Have you already met the nobleman Jourdain Valliere in the streets that asks for a whore that you shall bring him? He gives you 6.000 Pesos for that. Also the Barkeeper has a job sometimes and the Storeowner too. That all depends on the proper sequence in that you are playing the game. Maybe you have to start all over again. I did that already 3 times myself to get the optimal start into the game. You can also make a lot of money by playing cards and dice as i told you already. Just stay in the tavern over night and play again till nobody wants to play with you anymore. I made tousends of pesos with that. For that you just have to save the game in your bedroom and reload till you win downstairs and so on. Easy going that.

Btw. Could you please upload a screenshot that shows you blocking with a sword during a fight? I would like to see that with my own eyes, because i still can´t do that myself.

Have you already met the nobleman Jourdain Valliere in the streets that asks for a whore that you shall bring him? He gives you 6.000 Pesos for that. Also the Barkeeper has a job sometimes and the Storeowner too. That all depends on the proper sequence in that you are playing the game. Maybe you have to start all over again. I did that already 3 times myself to get the optimal start into the game. You can also make a lot of money by playing cards and dice as i told you already. Just stay in the tavern over night and play again till nobody wants to play with you anymore. I made tousends of pesos with that. For that you just have to save the game in your bedroom and reload till you win downstairs and so on. Easy going that.

Btw. Could you please upload a screenshot that shows you blocking with a sword during a fight? I would like to see that with my own eyes, because i still can´t do that myself.
First off all sorry I don't have the screenshot of blocking becouse i finished game long time ago when it's went out in russian, Charles just swings his sword, in early levels when your character is low lvl he is weak so blocking doesn't feel that great secoundly this i want to tell how i finished starting quest i think it will help some people so the first quest i taked: there is guy walking in the streets he wears yellow/golden clothing(he wants to take a lady from brothel) then i went to the tavern after that i went to the shop (to deal this quest with a biggest reward i think you should take the guy who gives you less waluable things.) then when you find the dead guy in the jungle gives his loot to the governor and sell the map after that go to the port controller (he gives you mission to kill the indians) after that you should have about 8k i think (i dont remember correctly) go to the fort and talk to the one of the solders who standing at the enter he gives you quest to give hime wine (he will wait you in the next day on the fort roof) when you give hime wine take his another quest (it will double your money) go to the random merchant (not store) ant ask about wine and pay him he will give you the hint (store owner) go and talk to him, he will say that he knows nothing then go back to merchant talk to him (choosethe calmest option) pay him againt and go to the store owner buy all the wine he have and sell it to the soldier in fort.

P.S Sorry For My English :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Maverick1862/Sea Dogs To Each His Own/engine 2016-02-19 21-47-08-52_zpsayvzuydh.png

got the 8K, and the sailor is telling me to go to the store to buy food, medicines, I spend all my $ doing that and he says "still preparing" what am I doing wrong?
what is it 40 crew members or 70 with this guy? I'm not good in math but he says you need to go to the store and by "minimum" supplies, how much is that?
food and medicines he doesn't say nothing bout rum. so I tried getting all food/medicines and go back to the sailor in the tavern and says "still preparing" so I go back to the store, sell everything and get very little, of food and meds, go back to sailor "still preparing" I go back to the store.....
that is REALLY agrivating I want to get off this island and free roam, attack ships and all that. but cant get thru this stupid quest..........:modding:modding:modding:modding:dfiddle:fiddler:mad::(:confused::confused::confused::confused::checklist:checklist

Last edited:
Calm down Ben, i´m already working on a step by step walkthrough in english and i can promise to deliver it till lunchtime today. For me it´s 8:00 AM right now. This will be a good help for everyone to pass through for shure. RPG´s take their time to raise and it´s not a good idea to rush in the beginning. I will also upload a PDF for the ones that want to print it, if i can manage because i still have big problems accessing this website. In your case it´s maybe better to prepare for starting all over again bcause missed possibilities are difficult to get back i think.

I don´t know if you were reading all of my last post, where i was asking you to upload a screenshot for me that shows you at blocking with a sword. Please try to do that for me :)

Last edited:
I just readded my fraps last night, and then went to bed. ill get to it in a little while, thanx for the help. BTW I'm calm just wish someone would make a good pirate game combine the AoPCT, AoPCoAS, and SDTEHO with something like Port Royale 2/3. where you can build your houses and workshops. (the only thing that sux in PR3 is the ship and land combat.)

Thanks for the screenshot. Now i know that something must be wrong with my game. I really wonder why Captain.Sparrow said that blocking isn´t possible anymore. Are there existing different versions of the game:confused:

Aaaaah i see, you would like to play a mixture out of RPG and Strategie. I´m afraid that won´t happen. Specially in these times where good made games are less and less:no

I´m also already more and more disapointed from SDTEHO because the beginning gets harder and harder. AoP2CoAS was already difficult but playable. SDTEHO is unbelievable hard because now i´m taking already missions from Fadey in Guadeloupe but everytime i start going to the worldmap i´m forced to fight with all kinds of other ships which i can´t escape because they are 3 times faster than me. That is impossible to handle for me at the moment because i don´t have enough money for monthly payments of officers, crew, shiprepairs and missing Cargo because of Rat attacks. That all together costs a fortune in this game and i´m not willing to make all kinds of jobs at land just to be able to pay my bills. Jesus Christ that was a lot easier in CoAS where you could always do what you really want:(

Thanks for the screenshot. Now i know that something must be wrong with my game. I really wonder why Captain.Sparrow said that blocking isn´t possible anymore. Are there existing different versions of the game:confused:

Aaaaah i see, you would like to play a mixture out of RPG and Strategie. I´m afraid that won´t happen. Specially in these times where good made games are less and less:no

I´m also already more and more disapointed from SDTEHO because the beginning gets harder and harder. AoP2CoAS was already difficult but playable. SDTEHO is unbelievable hard because now i´m taking already missions from Fadey in Guadeloupe but everytime i start going to the worldmap i´m forced to fight with all kinds of other ships which i can´t escape because they are 3 times faster than me. That is impossible to handle for me at the moment because i don´t have enough money for monthly payments of officers, crew, shiprepairs and missing Cargo because of Rat attacks. That all together costs a fortune in this game and i´m not willing to make all kinds of jobs at land just to be able to pay my bills. Jesus Christ that was a lot easier in CoAS where you could always do what you really want:(
I didn't say that blocking was impossible all I said is that blocking animation changed in SDTEHO and that your blocking is very bad in beggining becouse you dont have Basic Defence Skill and Advance Defence Skill :)

P.S Sorry For My English :)

this was in the new thread "make new mod for SDTEHO" I'm kinda wary bout downloading it cuz of viruses and everything but the guy that does have it says it works, IDK how to do backups and all that. I did have the GoF mods for CoAS (best buy geek squad did the backup, add ins for me) and loved it, cuz the only thing I didn't have to worry bout was running out of $$$. if someone does add this to SDTEHO and it works, pls let me know thru PM and help me add it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the misunderstanding captain but it stays the fact that Ben can block with his sword right from the beginning of the game and i can´t even move it into the blocking position; only with axes. Even if you start with low skills you might take more damage in blocking but not beeing able to block at all shouldn´t be normal for a game i think:confused:

Last edited:
I can block too Black Sam. I hold down space bar, and he blocks, or I press the parry button. When I hold down spacebar he swings his sword in a circular motion and blocks attacks. You however, cannot block heavy attacks, as those require a well timed parry.

You are also correct about the difficulty, I beat the tutorial, but didn't have the money for continuing, and monthly payments and other ships eat you alive.

I never heard about a parry button. Could you please explain that to me or upload a picture?

EDIT: OK, now i got it. If you keep holding down the spacebar, he is blocking with his sword during fights. But only for a short moment and then releases again. And only with Axes you can block permanent and whenever you want in this game. My goodness i´m not used to that kind of fighting system as in AoP2CoAS you can block as long and whenever you want. They made this game much more difficult whereever they could. I ´m not shure if i want to go through all that challenge right now. I´m afraid that i might find CoAS to easy afterxD

Anyway you where very helpful to me Redbeard, thanks for that!

Last edited:
You are very welcome. Although I do believe that you can block indefinately, but I may have chosen more arcadey settings than you at the start of the game. I know that I hold down space bar until they do a heavy swing, and then I parry... or would if I could remember how. I rage quit a few days ago, after wasting four hours on the tutorial, and only picked it up again today.

I do know that there is a parry feature, and it works differently than the block. I believe its right click or something similar, basically as the enemy attacks you can 'parry' the blow, or feint which I still havn't figured out. I think you have to start the attack animation and then cancel it, and the feint removes all their energy? I did it by accident once.

I can't compare to CoAS because I have never played it seriously, and now that I'm in the mood for it, this game is out. :p

Back