• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress System.log: Missing Textures

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
There are still some fairly consistent problems being logged in system.log .
While I don't think they are generally very harmful, they probably don't help with game stability either.
So if we can do something to fix them, really we should.

Bad rope data still occurs:
Code:
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 110) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 323841252
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 210) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 323841252? end pointer = 0

And missing textures that aren't actually used but are still referred to:
Code:
Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\RNDC.TGA.tx
We'd first need to know WHICH ships are affected by this.
The texture errors can probably be fixed relatively easily by HEX-editing the GM models.

The rope data would be more tricky; @Hylie Pistof is the expert on that subject.

One thing we have done in the past is to automatically cycle through all ships in the game to find out what problems lie with which specific ships.
The code to do that is still in console.c:
Code:
      if(!Checkattribute(pchar,"cheatship")) Pchar.cheatship = 0;
       int con = sti(Pchar.cheatship);
       if(con<SHIP_TYPES_QUANTITY)
       {
         GiveShip2Character(pchar,ShipsTypes[con].id,"Test Ship",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
         Pchar.cheatship = con +1;
       }
       TraceAndLog("*************************** Ship : " + ShipsTypes[con].id + " , Index : " + con + " ");

I might be able to write a program which scans all gm files for textures and compiles a list of the used ones, so we could remove the unused ones and see which ones are missing....

So then we'd get a last of existing and non existing references per model file so that we'll know which ones to Hex edit too?
How much work would that be? And how would you read those GM files?

would probably take me a few hours to do not so much more.
I just use a program like matlab to read trough the files. the textures aren't encoded so I just read the ascii data and store it.

I just use a program like matlab to read trough the files. the textures aren't encoded so I just read the ascii data and store it.
How do you read texture assignments from GM files with Matlab? They're all binary files.

You can also take a look at this setting in the engine.ini
Code:
texture_log = 0

it seems to generate a log of every texture which is called

Now that the bad rope data have largely been tackled by the combined efforts of @pedrwyth and @Hylie Pistof, the only other system.log issues I know of are:

- Missing textures (also already partly fixed)
- Notes about missing sound files (these are quite inconsistent as far as I could tell)
- Missing fireplaces (corrected now on at least one ship that had it)
^ I know it affects the "boat", but I think that one can basically never catch on fire so it doesn't matter where the fireplace goes, as long as there is one somewhere. :cheeky

I split this thread into many separate ones as it was becoming quite confusing.
This original thread is left for any Missing Texture references that you might encounter.

Back