• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Taking height in account during swordfight.

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
This would be very easy to implement but might change more then I can think of now.
The idea is to give to a X percentage more damage if you are X units above the other player.
Could also be used for gun accuracy and/or range.

Interesting. Could potentially make for some nice strategy to the fights.
Maybe.... :cheeky

:confused:

For guns ( increasing their range ) that is a sensible idea. :yes

But the sword fights - it will be really strange - if you are on some stairs and fight an enemy below you the animation shows you slashing at empty space - same if you are fighting an enemy above you. So giving extra damage will be weird. :yes

:drunk

But the sword fights - it will be really strange - if you are on some stairs and fight an enemy below you the animation shows you slashing at empty space - same if you are fighting an enemy above you. So giving extra damage will be weird. :yes
4354267-2547875587-12006.jpg

Just sayin'.... :razz

:duel:
Being higher has some advantages that's why a lot of games incorperate it in theire mechanics.
We could tie it to a perk. Say only if you have professional fencer you will get bonus damage if you are higher.

Isn't that already in the game? I find it much easier to defeat opponents when I am on higher ground.

I don't think height would make much difference to hand-held guns. Firing from higher ground increases the maximum range of the projectile which is why it can be useful for artillery. But it does nothing for the accurate range of a hand weapon, i.e. the range at which you can aim at a target and have a reasonable chance of hitting.

High ground has advantages in a large battle. You can see further. Once the charging starts, the side charging up hill is going to get exhausted first. Neither of these are likely to count for much when the distance is one end of a staircase to another. :D

As for fencing, since the "Star Wars" analogy has already been made, have a look at this:
Why did Anakin lose against Obi-Wan in "Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith"?
I'm not an expert, but I did take fencing for a while in college. If there were a hill, I'd rather be on lower ground. It's easier to parry a blow coming down than one coming up. The lower person will find it easier to hit the feet or lower legs of the higher up person. Picture a sword duel with a man on a horse and the other one is knocked off his horse -- the one on the ground parries blows that he can easily reach and block, but the mounted one has to reach down and parry blows toward his legs or lower feet with the end of his blade more than the part closer to the hilt.
So perhaps give the guy upstairs a bonus on damage (if he hits, it's more likely to be a vital area) and the guy downstairs a bonus on block (see above). Tying both bonuses to "Professional Fencer" makes sense, since as a professional fencer you know how to take best advantage of your position.

So perhaps give the guy upstairs a bonus on damage (if he hits, it's more likely to be a vital area) and the guy downstairs a bonus on block (see above). Tying both bonuses to "Professional Fencer" makes sense, since as a professional fencer you know how to take best advantage of your position.
And then those two end up compensating each other and this change effectively ends up doing nothing much. :rofl

Hmmm....what about giving a bonus in block chance instead of defence.
Also both characters would need to have the perk to make use of it.

Based on the difficulty we seem to be having in finalising all the new features we have already added, might I suggest holding off on this one until Beta 4 has been released?
From my side at least, fixing and finishing what we already started is the main concern. We have added plenty new things compared to Beta 3 already; we need to have something left for the next one. ;)

Back