• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tall Ship Providence Blown Over!

Ouch!
image.jpg

Oh man, that is a sad site indeed! I really hope there was no structural damage.

She suffered pretty severe structural damage; the hull was pierced all the way through. It's actually a fiberglass hull though so it wouldn't have taken the excessive damage throughout that a wooden hull would have.

I read she had been pierced in the article you posted, I was hoping it hadn't damaged any framing timbers. Fibreglass... :wp

Not a bad idea actually, she looks wood but she's cheaper to maintain and she's lighter, which means more ballast for added stability. Good boat, good looking, bad replica.

She is indeed a good looking little sloop. Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend, good looking, cheap and absolutely no soul! :rumgone

What a boat is made of doesn't have any effect on it's character, I've been on enough of them to be able to say that there are plenty of wooden boats without a soul. This little sloop has character! It's more the look and feel of the vessel combined with how it sails. Besides, I think fiberglass is a great option for replicas of that sort anyway. It's generally safer and lighter than wood, which means you have more weight available to address stability and weight issues that the stuff found in modern replicas (like bunks) brings without having to modify the lines of the hull. It also lasts longer with little maintenance which better suits the expected lifespan of modern replicas. Furthermore you'd have to be an expert to spot the difference between her and a wooden vessel until you went down below. Which doesn't really matter because working replicas don't have accurate interiors anyway.
And as far as any boats go, she'd have been damn expensive new!

Her one major fault in my opinion was that one of the people that was commissioning her insisted on having her lines sharpened so she would "go fast" which reduced her sailing performance a bit. (I've read about her design; an article written by the naval architect)

What a boat is made of doesn't have any effect on it's character, I've been on enough of them to be able to say that there are plenty of wooden boats without a soul.

OK, let me rephrase...

What a boat is made of doesn't have to have any effect on it's character.

Although I'll admit I felt the same way at first until I thought about the benefits more.

To my knowledge, I have never been on wood constructed boat, all the boats and ships I have been on were made of steel and fibreglass. I will certainly differ to your expertise in the matter. Fibreglass would certainly be much cheaper and easier to maintain. Certainly all boats have a character. I would think though, a boat constructed out of a material that was actually alive at one point, would be much more likely to have a soul.

I have no clue how much she would have cost to construct, though certainly nowhere near the $26 million L'Hermione cost. I was able to find a couple of better pictures of what she was actually resting on when she went over HERE! Looks like they just had her up on jack stands. There are better pictures of the stands on her for sale page.

Having worked around boats and ships held up by those jackstands before, I can tell you that they are merely a suggestion to the boat to keep upright. They are not designed for any lateral load, only near vertical. Lateral pushes will end up sliding the jack stands along the ground and once they do, it is over. If they had really wanted to keep it upright they would have had stacks of wood and large pads up against the hull. They probably did not expect that much wind force, however.

Back