1. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  3. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

4. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Tempest [Steam Early Access]

Discussion in 'Other Pirate Games' started by Stallion, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Stallion

Stallion Sea Dog News Gatherer

Save 10% on Tempest on Steam

Spotted this on the store yesterday, unfortunately there's not much to be found on the net yet about it. There are a couple gameplay videos of it out, though:

Fighting the temptation to buy it due to past bad experiences with Early Access games, plus it sounds barebones at the moment according to some reviews. At least, that's what I keep telling myself... :p

Thagarr likes this.
  2. Thagarr

Thagarr Pining for the Fjords! Staff Member Administrator Creative Support Storm Modder News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

CNC Machine Operator
    Nice find mate. Looking at the above videos, the game looks quite nice, and $11 is pretty good bargain for any game, even if it still needs a little work.

Though the sailing looks more like speedboats than sailing, but that seems to be the trend nowadays. The hull collision also looks like it needs a bit of work as well, the way those waves are washing over the decks, there wouldn't be anyone left on board to fire the cannons! :pirate41:

3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
  4. morgan terror

morgan terror Magnificent bastard Storm Modder News Gatherer

It looks a bit like a 3D version of Tortuga: Pirates of the New World (or Pirate Hunter, as it's sometimes known), with more intricate ship management and upgrades. I hope it's better than that, because that game got repetetive really quickly. I did use some of it's music in my music packs though.

Have you noticed how it doesn't take the wind direction into account? The flags move along with the ship.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  5. Stallion

Yeah, the more gameplay I see of it, the less I want it. Too arcadey, plus I already have Windward if that's the type of gameplay I'm after :D

Nope, it's not them. These guys are hard to find though off of Steam, they claim to have been working on Tempest for around a year but there's almost nothing on the net about them.

Yeah, it's still pretty barebones for Early Access. Staying away from it for a few patches at least :)

6. Stallion

Ended up getting this as a birthday gift from a Steam friend. It is very arcade driven, with no accounting for wind direction.

There's also Gatling guns, mortars, flamethrowers, and other weird deck-mounted stuff so this is about as far from realistic as you can get xD

On the plus side, I started it up the first time planning on a 15 min play session...and finally quit 3 hours later :modding

Captain Murphy and Pieter Boelen like this.
  7. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy HoO Team Member TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    Sometimes simple and fantastic is just the right combination to have some fun and lose track of time! Not everything needs to be super realistic to be exciting.

Thagarr and Pieter Boelen like this.
  8. Jackseno

Jackseno Landlubber

Student
    A bit of a late reply but this is actually why we changed our name. Although I tried to transition it smoothly first from Tempest to Tempest: Wayward Ventures and now we've lost the Tempest entirely. I do prefer Wayward Ventures as a name though, it's a little more indicative of the kind of thing we want players to be doing.

Best of luck to these chaps though. I'm not too in to the camera hovering above the ships myself - makes it seem like an RC toy!

9. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Makes sense to prevent confusion with names! :onya

10. Sqwero

Sqwero Landlubber