• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tenochtitlan full walkthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munty

Powder Monkey
Ok so facing the same frustration as others here I've been constantly dropping out of my game trying to find the last few totems I need with little luck. This is down mostly to the lack of names in most of the guides currently up but also due to the possibility of finding some totems earlier before the quests begin or purchasing them from vendors without any knowledge of their purpose.

So here we go with a start to finish walkthrough for the Tenochtitlan Quest which to my knowledge should be absolutely 100% inclusive!

Firstly you'll need to carry out a quick fix to the game files before this quest will work (for the English version of the game) so here's the solution with thanks going to Dezeal for posting it and another forum for figuring it out!
First of all, make sure Age of Pirates is closed (don't do this while the game is running)

Backup the files in the following folders so you can revert back to them if necessary:
(Age of Pirates Base Directory)\Program\DIALOGS\russian\Quest\Tenochtitlan
(Age of Pirates Base Directory)\Program\Text\Dialogs\Quest\Tenochtitlan

There should be 3 files in each of those directories, for 6 files in total.

Edit all 6 of those files in a text editor (such as WordPad).
You'll need to replace all instances of the word "DLG_TEXT" with "DLG_TEXT_TE" (WITHOUT quotes) in all 6 files.

To do that in WordPad for instance:
1. Open one of the files.
2. Click Edit, then click Replace.
3. In the "Find what:" box, type in DLG_TEXT
4. In the "Replace With:" box, type in DLG_TEXT_TE
5. Click the "Replace All" button.
6. Save.
7. Repeat on the remaining 5 files.

It's worth noting that the later 3 files only have one instance each while the first three have many.

Secondly I believe it's necessary to have begun the 'Enchanted City' Quest for this quest to activate but I won't go into that here. Chances are you'll know whether or not you've started it (you need to come across an interesting situation with a Werewolf in a tavern!) but if not check your logbook. You'll need to have already met the woman Elizabeth and learnt about the jade skull.

The Tenochtitlan quest begins automatically once you set foot on 'The Shores of Mosquito'. This area is on the Spanish main, north of Santa Catalina and south of Caratasca Lagoon. As soon as you moor your vessel you will be approached by a man named Silvio Ricci who tells you that he is the lone survivor of a 50 man expedition that set off to El Dorado, the legendary city of gold. He'll tell you what terrible things happened there, warn you not to visit the city then run off like a big girl.

Now we're a big strong corsair so we really aren't scared by this tomfoolery so off we go to the Aztec city on Lake Texcoco! Just head straight on until the loading screen displays the city and when it's done you'll be there beside the lake! Now some silly looking Aztec by the name of Montezuma will address you and explain why the previous expedition was killed and he will further the quest by asking you to enter the city and retrieve something for him. The Jade Skull (the item that is required by the other quest 'Enchanted City')

He gives a little background but isn't a great help, the next job is to find a few totems in order to safely cross the bridge which is basically one big fire trap. There are 2 ways to do this as Montezuma will tell you but the latter is rather difficult. That's because this way requires just one totem which is very nearby but in order to reach the other side and actually use it you'll have to pass through 20 firetraps each inflicting 40 damage the second you step into them. Not sure if it's possible with some potion quaffing but I went the other way which requires 2 slighly more distant totems but is much safer!

Here are the locations and details of all three of the first batch of totems (yes sorry there are lots more!)
Camaxtli -
Located just inside the lake to the left of the bridge. Walk along the coastline until you see a large rock and follow this into the water. Look for the 'pickup' icon.​
Tlazolteotl -
This totem is also nearby but you need to leave the lake and travel just ONE time back towards the beach. Now walk around the location to the left and in a small recess farthest from the road you'll find the totem behind a tree!​
Tonatiuth -
This one requires a boat ride so get back to see and head southeast to portobello! Once ashore leave the town through the west gate and follow the path left twice. Hard to explain now but the totem is almost straight ahead. Follow the path at your feet to the right but ignore the path that runs at a right angle to you and stay on the straightish one you're on. After crossing this path look straight ahead for two trees close beside each other and the totem is located between the two!​

Camaxtli is the totem used on the far side of the bridge whilst the other two are used to shut off the traps without having to pass to the other side. Now that you know where all three are it's up to you which way you do it but bear in mind you can collect all three if you want. I got all of them and used all of them so I effectively shut off the trap twice but I could have easily kept one or two of them...

So now the way is open to the city (don't expect any quest updates just yet, I certainly didn't get any!) The next event will be a meeting with a young Aztec called Mexitli which will soon be followed by meeting with his brother Auisotl if you take a little time to explore the city. Both meetings are pretty much pointless as neither one advances the quest or tells you what to do next but the first boy you meet does tell you a little bit about the different temples.

Now this is the part of the quest that really puzzles me as there is no information given to the player as to what should be done next after turning off the flames. Yes Montezuma told us we need to get into the temple and get the Jade skull but thanks a lot for telling us how to get in there Monty! As before he's as helpful as a plastic spanner...

If you go back to where he is standing now, quite near the entrance to the lake, he will tell you that you need to find 10 more totems from around the Caribbean and place them in 10 different temples (though these are really just 2 temples either side of the big one with 5 doors each!) So there is quest progression and the logbook does update once you hold this conversation but I'm of the opinion that there should be an additional logbook entry saying the fire trap is switched off and 'I should return to Montezuma for further instructions'. Honestly this game was made by idiots wasn't it? Moving on...

So more totems and no hints this time so screw looking for them manually unless you want to lose your mind. Below is a list of all 10 totems all of which are guaranteed as they load with the maps in one place and one place only when you start a new game. The only thing that will stop one of these totems appearing at the below location is obtaining it previously from another location. I got hold of 2 from merchants for example so when I came to do this walkthrough I had to do a bit of reverse engineering to discover which was which!

Now here is the list, their info and where to find them!
Xochiquetzal ; Goddess of flowers and love. (+20 Success)
Bermudas, Broken washbasin. Swim around the wrecked ship and it is close to where the vessel touches the cliff.​
Mictlantecuhtli ; God of kingdom of the dead. (+20 Stealth)
San Juan del Norte beach. This is NOT near San Juan but south of Santa Catalina on the Spanish main. Move through the cave and it is in the first chamber behind the furthest stalegmites from the shore.​
Quetzalcoatl ; God of the morning star, ruler of the elements. (+20 Defence)
Inside a cave on Saint Martin but possible with hostile Dutch relations. Moor your vessel on the northwestern beach of the island then head inland ONCE. You will see a well which leads to a cave and the totem is in a chamber directly behind you.​
Mixcoatl ; The god of Hunting. (+20 Accuracy)
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain. It is clearly visible on the floor behind the church.​
Tezcatlipoca ; Guardian of priests, flailer of criminals. (+20 Pistols)
Martinique, Fort De France city dungeon. Enter the underground to the right of the storefront in town then hug the right wall until you reach a descending stairway. Climb down it and follow the tunnels to the left until you come out into a larger room and the totem is to your left against the wall not far from where you leave the tunnel.​
Chalchiuhtlicue ; Goddess of lake and sea. (+20 Authority)
Tortuga. There is a building directly behind the moneylender's residence with a long porch. This totem is behind the end of that porch furthest from the bank.​
Huitzilopochtli ; God of clear blue skies. (+20 Medium weapons)
Curacao, Willemstad. This requires good terms with Holland as it is inside the residence on/in a column near to the entrance door. You must stand in the main part of the room and face this column to reach it.​
Tlaloc ; God of rain and thunder, lord of vegetables (+20 Light)
Hispaniola, Santo Domingo Lighthouse. Enter the lighthouse and climb the stairs until you see a small plank leading to a ledge on the opposite wall. Cross the plank then jump down twice until you find the totem in/on the wall.​
Mayahuel ; The goddess of fertility. Also the world's first barkeep. (+20 Heavy weapons)
Cuba, Santiago torture chamber. Underneath the stairway that leads to the church in this town is a door leading to a torture chamber. Enter this complex and look under the beds for this totem.​
Tonacatecuhtli ; The creator of god who feeds mankind. (+20
Head to the Shores of Armatice just south of Belize. From the beach you need to travel 4 times going straight (from mooring), straight, left then right. You should now be at the inca temple and the last totem is to the right side of it quite far from your starting location. It is behind one of the shrubs furthest from you.​

So now you're stocked up with all 10 of these totems you can head back to the city. The order I have listed the totems in is the order in which they are used (in the ten temples from left to right) but they are selected automatically so you don't need to remember this! Enter each temple (remember these are the 5 doors on both the temple to the far left and far right) and place the totems in a central slot but beware of 3 aztec warriors who you'll need to fight on your own. It may well be possible but the ridiculously unbalanced fights involved in every single quest I've come across so far have caused me to play the whole quest in god mode!

So rinse and repeat 10 times and after 30 Aztec warriors a million reloads and two new keyboards you'll be ready to enter the main temple in the centre of the complex. At the point you place your final totem you will recieve a brief logbook update informing you of just this. Before you head to the pyramid we have just one more task to do so head back to the centre of the city and get ready for some swimming!

Standing in front of the main temple, turn to face it and you'll notice columned structures to both its left and right. They both contain stairways to underwater labyrinths but the one on the right has no loot so ignore it and head instead for the one on the left. Head down into the water and it will load into a new screen with the watermaze. Note how much time you have left to breathe. It's pretty tight so here are directions! They are all in 90degree turns and unless otherwise stated you make the turn when you can no longer continue straight on.

Immediately turn left then at the corner of the maze turn right, right, right, left, left, left, right once more and then you're in the home stretch. Note that once you reach this point there are three turnings to the right before you hit the wall. You need to take the 2nd one or you will NOT have time to correct your mistake and death is instant. So take this 2nd right and then turn left once you hit the wall and you'll see the exit doorway. swim through it and head right to escape with between 10-15 seconds left.

In the box at the top of the stairs is another totem (you thought we were done right??) It is;
Centeotl ; The young god of Maize. (+20 Navigation)

Hold onto this for now but you'll need it in the main pyramid so be sure you have it before you enter or you'll have to grind your way through it twice! So what are you waiting for? Make your way there and get the Jade skull!!!

Yeah only kidding it's never that easy... When you enter the temple you'll have 4 warriors to kill right away but they seem a lot weaker in this temple with only 120-160 health in the most places. Nothing else on this level so descend to the next one and you'll immediately fight another group of four warriors. There are four more around the next corner and a final four around the next corner guarding a box you can't yet open. Descend the final stairway to be faced with three more groups of aztecs bringing the total in this temple to 28 and then head to the centre platform to face the big man himself.

You'll see the goal of your mission right in front of you here, the Jade skull. But be warned, Mictlantecuhtli himself will appear as soon as you nab it and from my count he has well in excess of 3000 health points (yes you did read that right!) If anyone has managed to kill this guy legitimately I'd love to know how. I didn't even try but why would I, I'm just trying to complete this game so I can move onto a more sensibly constructed swashbuckler!

Once you beat the God of the Kingdom of the Dead you'll be awarded the Jade skull to keep and also be told a few home truths about your less than helpful friend Montezuma. Before you go to speak with him though we can use that last totem you just found in the front right corner of this room. Head for the place where 3 doors exit the pyramid and you'll see where you can use the totem on the floor just before you reach them. Then turn 180degrees so those same doors are behind you and you'll see a stone chest in the distance which is now unlocked. It has some pretty decent loot in it but the only thing you definitely need is the obsidian dagger.

Once you have the skull and the dagger you're ready to leave this temple and scale the one directly in front of you as you come out. It's the one with a round top. Climb all the way to the highest point you can reach and then travel to the back of this temple and you'll see the 'pickup/use' icon. Hit it and you'll use the obsidian dagger and the door to this temple is now open! Go inside to get yourself a mystical time-travelling treat and equip it as soon as you can!

Now that was a nice little sidetrack but we still need to finish the main quest so head back over the dam to see Montezuma and he'll be waiting for you at the other end. A rather brief conversation ensues after which you will be the proud owner of another nice new unique weapon! Monty is pretty tough but not a patch on the God. I clocked him at about 1000 health?

Quest complete! Now you can get on with the Enchanted City ;)

Hope this helps a few people, all of the spellings are right so it should be displayed as a search result for any of the totems, characters or locations involved. Feel free to incorporate it in the big guide if needed and edit as you see fit. I won't be active forever here so consider it freeware for the greater good :p

So in conclusion you can probably find all of these totems in merchants somewhere if you keep trying but why bother when you have a list right here? I'm absolutely positive that this final totem has an official resting place but don't know where it is. If anyone finds it I really want to know!!!

Thanks to Giocoso for provinding the official location of that blasted Tezcatlipoca Totem and making this walkthrough 100% complete! Almost :p

If anyone finds a permanent location for the Tezcatlipoca totem please let me know as ...
Congratulations to the walkthrough! :yes
Very very good! :onya
For the Tezcatlipoca totem: is in dungeon in the city of Fort de France (first scale on the right, in the lower, near the platform of the elevator).
There is also:
Xipe Topec: in the temple "Inca" of Amatrice - quest mummy powder (to open the second case in the temple of Tenochtitlan: full of items rare; you must do four or five travel load!).
Curiously: after the quest Tenochtitlan, I have not found totems from merchants.
If you want two copies, You must find before the quest.
(Sorry for my google-english! :cheeky )

Hmm now I'm just plain baffled... You're totally right about the totem in the Fort De France dungeon as I found it myself! But... I'm sure when I found it I got the Centeol totem...

Now this really confused me as I'd already got that totem from the underwater labyrinth and when I checked my inventory later I only had one of them (not the 2 I thought I should have) So in reference to your second statement I was under the impression that it was impossible to collect two of the same totem because I thought I had and it didn't register!

Really funny as I've done all of this today so have an A4 piece of paper next to me covered in scrawlings and locations and names etc. I have written down that I got the one in this dungeon (based on an older walkthrough) but then the confusion with me thinking I got a Centeotl duplicate must have made me disregard that line from then on. Can't believe I missed it :D

Will edit now so it'll be complete except for the descriptions of the first three totems used to shut off the fire bridge.

Thanks Giocoso!!!

Clarification:
You can not have two totems equal to your character.
I put copy of totems on a fighter or in others officers or in the chest of the ship.
If you have a totem on your PG, never find a merchant who sells that totem.
And more: if you put two identical totems in the same place (ex: in the chest) they become only one.

Clarification:
You can not have two totems equal to your character.
I put copy of totems on a fighter or in others officers or in the chest of the ship.
If you have a totem on your PG, never find a merchant who sells that totem.
And more: if you put two identical totems in the same place (ex: in the chest) they become only one.

See I'm convinced that I picked up a Centeotl totem from the dungeon in Port de France and it disappeared because I already had one! I'd already started taking notes by the time I reached this one so I noted the name it said on the screen 'you have found item x' and I'm 100% positive that it was NOT Tezcatlipoca!!! Will test again tomorrow from an earlier saved game to be sure which one is usually found there.

Hey, could someone pin this? its a great guide, and i didnt find it until i was referred to it, i know theres a similar one in the preparations for a walkthrough, but its hard to fins plus it soesnt tralk about the obsidian knife or the shotgun.

Good job munty! :onya :onya

Ok so facing the same frustration as others here I've been constantly dropping out of my game trying to find the last few totems I need with little luck. This is down mostly to the lack of names in most of the guides currently up but also due to the possibility of finding some totems earlier before the quests begin or purchasing them from vendors without any knowledge of their purpose.

So here we go with a start to finish walkthrough for the Tenochtitlan Quest which to my knowledge should be absolutely 100% inclusive!

Firstly you'll need to carry out a quick fix to the game files before this quest will work (for the English version of the game) so here's the solution with thanks going to Dezeal for posting it and another forum for figuring it out!
First of all, make sure Age of Pirates is closed (don't do this while the game is running)

Backup the files in the following folders so you can revert back to them if necessary:

You'll need to replace all instances of the word "DLG_TEXT" with "DLG_TEXT_TE" (WITHOUT quotes) in all 6 files.

6. Save.

It's worth noting that the later 3 files only have one instance each while the first three have many.

hi thanks a lot for this, it really help me out but i still have the same problem that when i landed in "mosquito's coast", the only diference is that it is a diferent character this time: you see, as soon as i cross the bridge and try to enter the city an astec talks to me, or at least he tries to XD.. but it seems like hi is voiceless,
i did the same process whit the wordpad but it diden't help this time.. any idea? sugestions? thanks againg anyway!!!

Hey guys I think there's a much more simpler way to get those totems... with the +Stats on...

As you process through the game... They are in the Street merchant in town...

I think it only appear in the shop list when you have the proper amount of Personal Skill and Ship Skill.
I bought 5 totems that give stats which is the.

Quetzalcoatl.

Tezcatlipoca

Mayahuel

Chalchiuhtlicue

Tlaloc

These totem represent my stats that are 100level.

I think they are randomly appear in shop list,
Only when you have 100Stats on a certain skill.

I hope I'm right thought. I haven't quite sure if it is True.

If it is True. i'll update ya. =)

6. Save.

Quick Question.

If I don't edit them...

Do you mean, I can't play the Quest ?

:yes

You have to edit the files - people will not talk to you otherwise & quest will not work

They might be fixed in the mod - ( I played it in the stock game ) So look at the files and see if they are correct before editing them.

:cheers

When I enter Mosquito Shores... No one came up to me.

But as I go deeper, There's something popup saying.

Destroy The Outpost.

I see a person running away from me.
As I follow him.

I enter a village and no one was there.

So I load back,
This time I try to beat that outpost to the village.

When I came into town.
Everyone attack me.

So your saying.. If I don't edit the file this will keep happening?

If I edit the files. I can do this quest then?

:no

Have you got the correct Shore of Mosquito

You want the one north of Santa Catalina & Cape Perlas.

I think the only place you can get to when you go into thre jungle is the Aztec City.

On the beach a man should run up and talk to you - go to city & native chief talks to you -- if they don't talk
1) you won't know what is going on
2) the tokens you need to find won't work when you put them in their places.

You can do the Tenochtitlan quest without starting the Enchanted city quest. :yes

:mm

All this time I went throught some shore into the Pearl Village hahahaha.

I thought that was related... my badd...

Can I get some Tip how not to get them to kill me?
I change flag to Spain they still try to kill me.

Yes, I have found the right shore now.
A man came up to me.

The Aztec man came up scared me in process...
He was half nude covered in white line on his body with torn dress and a big hat......
I thought it was a ghost... cause he was running fast toward me...
Gawd...

I activated the Tenochitlan quest... and also it is chained to the Enchanted City quest... I need the Jade Skull...

but gona finish England National Quest first... I don't want to get mixed an get alot of Quest in the process...

I might end up completing all the Quest and get bored doing nothing but raiding. haha

Hey I got a Question.

Upon doing my National English Quest.

I found a rather srange wheel. Weight 30.0.
What is that?

And I found a strange face artifact too. (not the rat totem)

Munty thank you a thousand times!! This is an amazing walkthrough!! I was lucky enough to come across the totems while I was playing and I had no idea what they were for but I still kept them so I just had to find 4 of 10 and 2 of 3 ones required for deactivating fire trap! I couldn't kill the main guy without cheating though and it was to hard to resist cheating cuz I just couldn't wait to to this quest to the end!!

:drunk cheers and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back