• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion The direct sail surprise

Marki

Sailor
Hi pirates

The situation I knew of COAS vanilla games and GoF1.1 games always was: There was no real direct sailing between islands without going to the world map, you could see the town for example, but not land, you were not actually "there". I think the situation in GoF2.x was the same, I don't remember exactly though, I could probably never have tested it, but I think I have.

As we are playing GoF1.3 at the moment, I was very surprised that we were able to sail from Barbados to Trinidad and from Trinidad to Martinique - in sea mode, without changing to the world map. Instead there was kind of a "sail ho" feature we know of New Horizons: black screen, loading "new position" at sea, similar close to the destination island as you were without the new loading. No text, no "sail ho". And we could set anchor there. HOW WAS THAT POSSIBLE. So I searched the forum, found some direct sail entries, but no explanation why this feature could be realised in 1.3. I guess some genius must just have put it in there overnight ... Into 1.2 I guess, since 1.3 was just a smaller patch if I remember correctly.

So my question, dear pirates, is: Does anyone of you have a kind of a survey of the changes and the situation of direct sail between islands in GoF?
We'll test some more routes, the brigantine Arrow (quest ship of Humphrey Douglas quest) with its 9.x in point of sail is just the perfect
ship for it.

You can direct sail between certain islands that are close together. I remember that there were some islands in the lower right hand corner of the map that you could direct sail between, but you could not sail from them to a close by town on the mainland.

To my knowledge, no one has broken down the "zones" in COAS (or supporting mods) to determine distancing, similar to what was done for SDTEHO, which has a slightly different map structure. In the latest version of ERAS, this is also functional, but I have not tested all regions.

Thanks for your responses. Tested some more routes and all of them worked:

Martinique - Curacao

Barbados - Antigua
Barbados - Trinidad

Trinidad - Martinique
Trinidad - Barbados
Trinidad - Cumana

Antigua - Nevis
Antigua - Barbados

Nevis - Antigua

Curacao - Cartagena
Curacao - Martinique

Cartagena - Curacao

Cumana - Caracas

Caracas - Cumana
Caracas - Maracaibo

@Hylie: Also the routes to the Spanish Main seem to work properly!

Was this feature removed for the 2.x versions?

Back