• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released The Empress finally arrives!

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
Iron Roger Flint has just handed me my next texturing project . . . his beautiful model, the Empress!
w00t.gif

I'm really looking forward to working on this ship.
keith.gif

ENGINE 2012-01-10 02-34-36-30.jpg ENGINE 2012-01-10 02-34-53-76.jpg

She doesn't have a crew yet, but they'll come along eventually.

There should be a walk file for her on ftp, or did I not upload it?
mybad.gif

It's there. I guess I didn't install it correctly.
dunno.gif
I'll get that worked out.

Holy crap. You went all out on this model!
w00t.gif
Amazing detail. Somehow I just know Armada's gonna complain about all those polys.
icon_wink.gif
haha But she looks amazing!

I'm honored to work on your project. I'll turn her into a masterpiece. Don't worry.
type_1.gif

I'm gathering all the photo references I can find. Looks like I won't be able to make the textures entirely from photographs like I did with the Queen Anne's Revenge (because not many pictures exist of the Empress), but I can just do them by hand. No worries.
me.gif
I'll get those sails looking better too. Especially the "wooden" parts.

I'm gathering all the photo references I can find. Looks like I won't be able to make the textures entirely from photographs like I did with the Queen Anne's Revenge (because not many pictures exist of the Empress), but I can just do them by hand. No worries.
me.gif
I'll get those sails looking better too. Especially the "wooden" parts.

"Wooden" parts
24.gif
I used those just to see how the battens would be oriented in game; should be bamboo btw.

As for images, there really isn't much on the net. Basically the model was produced by studying the movie captions, and two other reference images I found on the net. Gonna attach them if you might not find them youself

1junk011206.jpg

Img 2007-05-29-221528.jpg

Yeah I have plans to make them look more solid and bamboo-like via some optical illusion tricks that I used on the Black Pearl.
icon_wink.gif

Or are you actually gonna put real battens there? If so, great. If not, I can fake it.

Oh yes, do you think you could maybe make me a guide showing me how you placed the UV maps? So I know what textures go where and do what? Armada made me a guide for the Pearl and QAR and it made life so much easier. I hope you placed your UV maps correctly. Bonjourmonami did some really bizarre things with his UV maps on the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge. Armada finally had to fix it for me.
rolleyes.gif

Currently, the sails are moving as realistically as the engine allows it. If I would to add modeled battens to it, they would not move down or with the wind as canvas does. However I'm gonna research some possibilities to introduce a more realistic junk rig, but for now - fake it
me.gif

EDIT: There should be one such map with instructions uploaded, for the rest I'll upload them later, as I'm not currently at home

Haha, I knew you'd like this project, LS! Nice to see you've taken it on. :doff

Holy crap. You went all out on this model!
w00t.gif
Amazing detail. Somehow I just know Armada's gonna complain about all those polys.
icon_wink.gif
haha But she looks amazing!
I haven't complained yet. Besides, it was always going to be a high-poly model with all those details! :shock
Still, it can't hurt to ask... how many polys does she have, IRF?

I haven't complained yet. Besides, it was always going to be a high-poly model with all those details! :shock
Still, it can't hurt to ask... how many polys does she have, IRF?

Everything - 80k tris. Compared to 'le Fleuron' - it's nothing
urgh.gif

Also encountered some weirdness while checking UV's. Gonna fix it.

This is wonderful! I've been interested in a Chinese type ship in the game for some time and people occasionally have been asking too.
It'll be great to have another one for the list of "oft requested and now realized" things! :dance

That ship looks awesome, now there's a ship I sorta wish I had in real life, lol

I've tried her out in the game and she seems to work just fine. Except when you go to battle sails, two of the three sails drop and she slows down to a crawl. Maybe we should fix that?
dunno.gif

I think the official PA motto should be: "Don't tell us it can't be done!" lol
rolleyes.gif
So many supposedly "impossible" things have been accomplished lately. I bet one day, someone will figure out how to have lights on the ships.
icon_wink.gif

I know this will come up later so I need to ask, are those fins on the cabin sails? Or are those actually part of the model? I will need to put holes in them, so if they're actually modelled, that will be problematic. Perhaps you could take the fins off, but leave the wooden frames for them, and you or Armada could make me one of those special surfaces (like we did for the skeletons on the QAR). Basically, turn the fins into a texture instead of part of the model, so that way I can put holes in them so it is film-accurate. If you don't know how to do that, Armada definitely does.
keith.gif

I'll download your updates. Thanks.
me.gif

I know this will come up later so I need to ask, are those fins on the cabin sails? Or are those actually part of the model? I will need to put holes in them, so if they're actually modelled, that will be problematic. Perhaps you could take the fins off, but leave the wooden frames for them, and you or Armada could make me one of those special surfaces (like we did for the skeletons on the QAR). Basically, turn the fins into a texture instead of part of the model, so that way I can put holes in them so it is film-accurate. If you don't know how to do that, Armada definitely does.
keith.gif

I'll download your updates. Thanks.
me.gif

You mean alpha mapping? You should be fine. The fins are modelled and use separate texture 'EmpressAlphaMapped.tga'. It also contains parts of the rudder, that need to be alpha mapped.

Back