• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released The fluyt Derfflinger 1684

The light fluyt Derfflinger1 is in POTC! :mi

She still needs sail, rigging, and flag/pennant work and then the other 2 versions can be added.

With 3 more light fluyts coming removing existing ones will be easier.

Oooh... nice! Though personally I'd find it more difficult to remove the other fleuts since we're already removing a bunch of them.
For example, for Holland we've got the NL_Fleut50 which is really nice and the NL_FleurWar (which is the AoP-based Frigate6 model).
The NL_Batavia would be the main one up for removal, I suppose, but I still quite like her colours.
The Derfflinger isn't REALLY like the Batavia, is she? On the other hand, neither is the Batavia we've got.

What other paint schemes are there for the Derfflinger? Would they work as specific nation colour schemes like the NL one in your screenshot?

(How are all these German-based ship models supposed to work for games that don't have Germany in it? :facepalm)

As far as fleut-like models are concerned, I see the following different ones:
Stock Game Fleut
Fleut of War (re-rigged stock game fleut with additional cannons)
Fleut4 (AoP-style fleut)
NL_Batavia (low-detail VCO ship with nice texture)
NL_Fleut50 (nation-specific re-texture of stock game fleut)
NL_FleutWar (AoP-style Frigate6)

And what is the Convoiship/Wappen von Hamburg for a ship? Fleut-like too? What would be her correct type name anyway?

Easy, easy there. :beer The Derfflinger is a class 6 light fluyt. It's the same size as the Dutch Pinnace. The other colors are dark blue and ummm, a very dark brown or maybe black. I've only looked at the tga's.

There are the stock class 6 fluyts. You already want to remove at least one of those. I like them.

Fluyt 4 is the AOP version which is also vaguely similar to the Derfflinger. I like her. But, do we need 6 light fluyts?

The Fluytof war34g is a class 4 ship with the cargo space of a class 5 pinnace and the hitting power of a grand schooner.

The NL_fluyt50 and PO_fluyt50 are class 4 cargo ships with huge holds.

The Batavia is a class 3 light East Indiaman with 24-18 lb guns and a hold hardly bigger than the Derfflinger. The Batavia is closer to the NL_Amsterdam than a fluyt.

I don't know what the Convoiship is.A Lineship?

The Derfflinger 1-2-3 is on the FTP. This ship came together really smoothly and I suspect will be fairly popular. There are gun decks I haven't gotten to yet. Also, check out that bow. :drunk

The colors are green, a blue or purple, and a brownish red. I couldn't beg borrow or steal a sunny day to take screenies of them. :facepalm It must be hurricane season.

That's brilliant! Here's my suggestions on the nations:
Derfflinger1 with green-ish stern for Holland
Derfflinger2 with blue-ish stern for France
Derfflinger3 with red-ish stern for Spain

Well, I got one out of three right.............. In the included shipsinit.c I switched the French and Spanish. That's simple to change.

The only fly in the soup with this ship is that at a distance the colors flicker badly. :shrug

I could see the blue-ish stern working for Portugal instead of France, as we've recently started to assign those yellow/wood and blue skins to the Portuguese instead of the French.

OK, the Derfflinger has been reworked with Pgargon's new textures. I can see her clearly now! The new version has replaced the old one on the FTP.

It is a pretty quick job. The most time consuming part is copying changed locators from the old GM to the new one. Plus this ship went very well all along.

They aren't new textures, just new GMs. Some one does need to look at the paint on this ship. It flickers badly and is irritating.

I could see the blue-ish stern working for Portugal instead of France, as we've recently started to assign those yellow/wood and blue skins to the Portuguese instead of the French.
Well I think that only works for more modern ships, like the Poseidon and CS; remember that plain wood and blue is for older French ships like La Couronne.

Anyway, nice job porting her so quickly, Hylie! :onya

So... should the blue one be French or Portuguese then?

Ah; you were talking about the new GM's by Pgargon; thanks for working on those, Hylie! :bow

Considering the Derfflinger is from 1684, then I'd say the blue colours are for the French version.
That's based on the fact that La Couronne is older (1636), the CS is newer (1733), but the Derfflinger is more similar to the former. Does that seem reasonable?

Sounds fair enough to me. So then we'll go with:
Derfflinger1 with green-ish stern for Holland
Derfflinger2 with blue-ish stern for France
Derfflinger3 with red-ish stern for Spain

I just had a thought. And yes it hurt.

The fluyt and pinnace are in the same class so I gave them the same cargo capacity, 2000cwt. But the fluyt has 4 less guns, so should it not have more cargo? Since I've already posted it to the FTP would it be better to just bump up its capacity while compiling it?

Feel free to make whatever adjustments you feel necessary in the next ships_init.c file you upload. :doff

Could someone who knows textures and painting please look at this ship? The colored sections flicker badly and ruins an otherwise great ship.

I think I can explain what's going on here. I just had a look at the painted wood sections of the hull in GM Viewer, and if you zoom in so that you can see a cross-section of the hull, you'll notice that the painted section is right on top of a non-painted section, with a tiny gap between them. That gap is too small, so when the ship is seen from far away distances, the game engine can't distinguish between the two sections, so tries to display both at the same time, which causes the violent flickering.
Hopefully this screenie will show what I mean:

Colour_clash.jpg

In other words, it's a model problem, so Pgargon will probably have to sort it out. :facepalm

Back