• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Goonies 2 In The Works!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I first heard about this story a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I would wait and see if I could get a few more details before I posted anything about it. Richard Donner, the director of the 1985 movie “The Goonies”, has confirmed that he will be working on a sequel. No date or real details have been given, but after many years of speculations by many people, an official sequel is in the works. I found THIS article over at TMZ stating that Steven Spielberg had come up with the story idea for the sequel and would also be involved.

The movie was originally based on a story by Spielberg, who was executive producer on the film, and written by Chris Columbus. For those of you who are not familiar with “The Goonies”, it is a movie about a bunch of geek kids in Oregon trying to save their neighborhood from being torn down. They find an old Spanish treasure map that purportedly shows the location of the buried treasure of One Eyed Willie, a legendary 17'th century pirate! Aside from the annoying Cyndi Lauper theme song, and the outrageous exaggeration of what a Spanish Doubloon is, the movie was quite entertaining.

I don't follow Hollywood much, but the reason this one caught my attention is Steven Spielberg bought the rights to the book “Pirate Latitudes” a few years ago, and was supposed to be turning that in to a movie. “Pirate Latitudes” is a book written by Michael Crichton, and only discovered shortly after his death in 2008. I posted an article about that HERE. I posted a review of the book on the old PA blog system, which unfortunately is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, it would appear that this project has put that book on the back-burner yet again. It's a pretty good book, and well worth reading, which appears to be the only way you are going to get the story any time soon!

Attachments

• The_Goonies.jpg
    The_Goonies.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 19
A sequel to THAT movie? I do like the original, but the characters, by now, are MUCH older. It wouldn't exactly be the same, would it?
Has Hollywood ran out of ideas THAT badly? Or do they actually have something interesting up their sleeve?

Original ideas cost money, it's much cheaper to recycle 30 year old movies and TV shows than to actually come up with something original. There are a few original ideas, but they are getting fewer and further between.

I don't see how you can get a sequel out of it either mate, but I bet it has something to do with their kids. I would MUCH rather see Pirate Latitudes made into a film!

Just saw this movie called "Noah" yesterday evening. That was.... bizarre to say the least.
Apparently they threw "modern movie syndrome" at a bible story. But why, I really don't know. Lack of inspiration too, perhaps?
Imagine that same amount of money being used to make a movie with an actual point to it; even if that point is just making a "good, regular adventure".

I would MUCH rather see Pirate Latitudes made into a film!
True, that! Directed by Steven Spielberg and with music by John Williams.
Now THAT would be a sight to behold! :bow

I was interested in it when I first heard about "Noah", I have found out a whole lot more about it since then, and have absolutely no desire to see it now. From what I have read it is simply another Hollywood movie trying to push an agenda, and the real story means absolutely nothing to them.

At the risk of starting a debate, I ran across THIS article a while back. For decades scientists have said that the Biblical story of Noah's Ark was complete fiction because the earth could never contain that much water. Well, this story tends to put a hole or two that theory. People think we are so much smarter now than any other time in human history and we have all the answers, yet new discoveries like this keep proving them wrong.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine"

Last edited:
I first heard about this story a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I would wait and see if I could get a few more details before I posted anything about it. Richard Donner, the director of the 1985 movie “The Goonies”, has confirmed that he will be working on a sequel. No date or real details have been given, but after many years of speculations by many people, an official sequel is in the works. I found THIS article over at TMZ stating that Steven Spielberg had come up with the story idea for the sequel and would also be involved.

The movie was originally based on a story by Spielberg, who was executive producer on the film, and written by Chris Columbus. For those of you who are not familiar with “The Goonies”, it is a movie about a bunch of geek kids in Oregon trying to save their neighborhood from being torn down. They find an old Spanish treasure map that purportedly shows the location of the buried treasure of One Eyed Willie, a legendary 17'th century pirate! Aside from the annoying Cyndi Lauper theme song, and the outrageous exaggeration of what a Spanish Doubloon is, the movie was quite entertaining.

I don't follow Hollywood much, but the reason this one caught my attention is Steven Spielberg bought the rights to the book “Pirate Latitudes” a few years ago, and was supposed to be turning that in to a movie. “Pirate Latitudes” is a book written by Michael Crichton, and only discovered shortly after his death in 2008. I posted an article about that HERE. I posted a review of the book on the old PA blog system, which unfortunately is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, it would appear that this project has put that book on the back-burner yet again. It's a pretty good book, and well worth reading, which appears to be the only way you are going to get the story any time soon!

I loved this film as a child! And even bought it again on BlueRay a few years ago to be sure my kids would see it...hehehe...
Of course it does not have the same appeal to me today as back then, but its worth seeing anyway ;)

And a sequel sounds interesting :)
Thanks for sharing @Thagarr :onya

I was interested in it when I first heard about "Noah", I have found out a whole lot more about it since then, and have absolutely no desire to see it now. From what I have read it is simply another Hollywood movie trying to push an agenda, and the real story means absolutely nothing to them.
Sounds about right. Except I've got no clue WHAT agenda they're trying to push. :rofl

Sounds about right. Except I've got no clue WHAT agenda they're trying to push. :rofl

I have not seen the film, so I really can't say personally, I can only go by what other people have written about it. I have read the Bible however, and "Noah" certainly is not the story told in Genesis.

Noah was a big pile of CR&¤#!!!
Oops... pardon my English... just had to get that out of my system....hehehehe...:wp

Looks good of course - but that's not really "hard" by the standards of today's films.
I really do not know or understand why they chose that story and did what they did with it... It really did not offer any special at all.
I would recommend to see it for the purpose of having seen it, mainly because Russel Crowe and Anthony Hopkins are int it - but rent it or stream it...

Don't waste your money by seeing it at the cinema's...

And as far as what the agenda is... beats me...

Thanks Flannery, I may see it eventually, just because.

I have read the Bible however, and "Noah" certainly is not the story told in Genesis.
Definitely NOT! It is some sort of bizarre fantasy interpretation.
Fallen angels that help out Noah building the ark while looking like Rock Monsters/Transformers combinations... Uh, wha....??? o_O
While raised a Christian, I am not big on religion myself. But even I found this particular approach bizarre in the extreme.

Back