• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP The HMS Southampton

Bava

Wannabe Shipwright
3D Artist
QC Advisor
Storm Modeller
Hi mateys,

As my 20 gun ship is almost done, I thought I could make a small Royal Navy pack including Sphynx, Southampton and a two-decker (prolly Roebuck or Leopard, both 50 guns).

A bit of backround info:

Contemporary aquatint of the Southhampton, “A Royal Salute. The Squadron saluting His Majesty [King George III.] on board HMS Southampton at the Naval review off Plymouth Sound”

Built in 1757 to the design of Thomas Slade (who also was responsible for the Victory and the introduction of the 74 gun ship class), she saw action throughout the heyday of the Royal Navy, being involved at Belle Isle, Glorious first of June and the Battle of Cape St Vincent among other actions. This famous ship, thought to be the first true british frigate ever built, was finally wrecked off the Bahamas in 1812, reaching the remarkable 'age' of 55 years (very few vessels made it past 20 years in active service).

Sailing report by Captain James Gilchrist

“Southampton Hamoze 29th August 1758

For Southampton As I know it will be agreeable to you to hear how the Southampton sails after the addition of her yards, I can now with pleasure inform you it has made a great change for the better, having seen nothing but what I beat. I had a tryal with the Hussar, which is reconed a good sailing ship and beat her near a mile an hour, we were both equally clean. I have been this day with the builder here who inform me there is an order for lengthening the masts. I am of opinion that the lower masts being lengthened will be of service but am certain that lengthening of her topmasts will be detrimental as she never will carry sails. I am sir your most obedient humble servant Gilchrist

To Thomas Slade Esq.”

A few selected log entries

26 July 1757 (Capt. Gilchrist) Engagement with french privateers

“Saw five (?) sail to the Westward at 1/2 past 10. Came up with them. Two ships a snow and a brigantine all French One of the ships engaged me very warmly for an hour and a half in which time she received so much damage that she made signal for the other ship to come down to her assistance who immediately answered her signal by coming down to her assistance so that I was between two fires, one on the bow and the other on the quarter. Continued upwards of an hour when luckily I got my whole broadside to bear on the first ship which silenced her entirely the other ship continued the engagement for about a quarter of an hour longer when she dropped astern and left one at this time. I was...... and in no condition to follow either of them.... I put into Weymouth Road in order to repair my damage in the best manner possible having lost 10 men in the action, 14 mortally wounded and as many more slightly wounded . Most of my running rigging and sails shot away received a great many dangerous shot soles betwixt wind and water and her upper works greatly damaged and all the masts greatly wounded. A shot coming through the Clarks....... great deal of musket..... of the ships survey.”

13th September 1757 (Capt. Gilchrist) Engagement with a 28 gun French frigate

“ Light airs and hazy, at 6am saw a sail to the westward in full chase of us. I stood from her cleared ship and got everything ready for action then tacked and stood for her at 10....... did not come up with her till 2pm when we began to engage very warmly and soon fell on board each other when she attempted to through her men into me which we vigorously disputed for a quarter of an hour but I had the good fortune to kill both her captains and most of her officers upon which she struck after a very brisk engagement for 35 minutes. Proved to be a French ship of war called Emeraude mounting 24 nine pounders and two six pounders and 245 men on board. I lost in the engagement my second Lt and nineteen men. All my officers wounded except myself the enemy had 60 killed and wounded. All my lower masts bowsprits and main yard quite disabled lower shrouds and stays all shot to pieces, lost in the action... by throwing the... from the forecastle over the enemy anchor stock to keep her to her. fore sheets main braces fore and mizzen yard tackles larboard fore brace shot away starboard quarter cloth tore away by getting foul of the enemy sprit sail shot away. At 3pm got the prisoners on board”

28th March 1759 (Capt. Gilchrist) In action with two French frigates in the North Sea, capturing the 40 gun “La Danae”.

“Fresh Breezes, Cloudy. At 5 am saw 2 sail in th N.W. out 2 reefs topsails and gave chase. The Melampe being still in company came first upon them and began about 1/2 past 8 to engage the largest ship. At 9 wore ship to get abreast of her whereby I got in betwixt her and the Melampe, where I continued during the remainder of the action being often obliged to back and fill to keep myself in that position . At 1/2 past 11 she struck and proved to be the Danae, a French man of war of 30x12 pounders 8x6pounders and 2 co‟horrns (?) and had on board 330 men commanded by Mr Barts loaded with stores and bound for Luebecks (?). I had only one man killed and 8 wounded. I had the misfortune to be one of the latter myself. The hull, masts, yards, rigging and sails of His Majesties Ship were much wounded and great part of them shot away. The mizzen staysail and drivers being shot in all parts fell down upon the decks and were thrown overboard to clear the guns, one of the cutters with masts , sails and oars were sunk alongside the..... by her main mast going away. Sent the Second Lt and 20 men on board the prize.”

28th July 1781 (Captain MacNamara) Capturing of a french 24 gun ship

" Sir J. Jervis discovered a French cruiser working up to Hieres Bay, within the islands, and immediately singling out the Southampton, called her commander on board the Victory, pointed the ship out, and directed him to make a dash at her through the Grand Pass. The Southampton instantly got under weigh and went in, in view of the entire British fleet, which with anxious suspense witnessed the boldness of an attempt that scarcely anything but the completest success could have justified. The Admiral refused even to give a written order for the enterprise . . . the Southampton pushed through the Grand Pass, and hauled up under the batteries of the north-east end of Porquerole, under easy sail, in the hope that she might be mistaken for a neutral or a French frigate. The stratagem succeeded, and she arrived within pistol shot of the enemy undiscovered. He (Captain Shield) then cautioned the French Captain through a trumpet, not to make a fruitless resistance. A shot from a pistol at the speaker, and a broadside at the Southampton immediately followed. At this instant, being very near the heavy battery of Fort Braganson, the Southanpton laid the enemy on board; Lieut. Lydiard, at the head of the boarders, entered and carried her in about ten minutes . . . about thirty minutes past one in the morning, the Southampton and her prize returned through the Grand Pass and rejoined the fleet..."

3rd February 1812 (Captain Yeo) Capturing of the ex-french 44 gun frigate L'Amethyste

“On the 2nd of February, as the British 32 gun frigate Southampton, captain James Yeo, was lying in the harbour of Port-au-Prince, the capital of Petion's dominions in the island of Saint Domingo, intelligence arrived, that a large frigate, corvette, and a brig of war, belonging neither to Petion, nor his rival chief Christophe, but to a third party, formed out of revolters of both, were cruising the south side of the adjacent island of Guanaboa. Although bound by his instructions to respect the flags of Petiona and Christophe, Sir James had received no orders to respect any other Haytian flag: he considered also that, if the squadron was allowed to quit the Bight of Leogane, the commanding officer would be less scrupulous about the national character, than about the lading, of the merchant vessels he might fall in with; in short that M. Gaspard, well known as an experienced privateer's man might feel it to be in his interest to turn pirate. Those who communicated the information respecting this frigate pointed out, in reference to Southampton, her superior force, particularly in men, of whom the number was stated to be upwards of 600. Far from deterring such a man as Sir James Lucas Yeo, all this stimulated him the more to execute a service which, hazardous as it might be, a sense of duty taught him was necessary; and accordingly, in the night, the Southampton weighed her anchor, and proceeded in quest of this formidable frigate and her two consorts. 6On the 3rd, at six in the morning, having arrived off the south side of Guanaboa, the Southampton encountered the Amethyste, with corvette and brig n company. On hailing the Amethyste, Sir James was answered "From Aux-Cayes" He then sent on board, to request the commander of the frigate to wait upon him with his papers. Captain Gaspard declined doing this; but sent his first lieutenant with a paper, purporting to be an order to cruise, and signed, "Borgellat, general-in-chief of the south of Hayti" Knowing of no authority that this M.Borgellat had to send armed vessels to sea, sir James replied, that he felt it to be his duty to conduct the frigate and the two vessels in her company to Port-Royal, Jamaica, that the British commander-in-chief on the station might determine the validity of M.Borgellat's claim; and he gave the captain of the Amethyste five minutes to consider the message. A lieutenant of the Southampton accompanied the Amethyste's first lieutenant back to his ship, in order to wait the time; but, before three minutes had elapsed, captain Gaspardaquatinted the former, that he would rather sink than comply with the demand, but requested that if the British captain meant to enforce it, he would fire a gun ahead of the frigate.7As the Southampton's boat pulled round her stern towards the opposite gangway, the unsuccessful result of the mission was communicated. Off went the bow gun; and, in another instant, (then just half past six,) the second and remaining guns upon the broadside of the Southampton followed in rapid succession. The fire was returned; the action went on; and the Amethyste, aware of what was the chief arm of her strength, made several efforts to board; but the Southampton, by her superiority in manoeuvring, frustrated every attempt. It had always been an essential point in sir James Yeo's system of discipline, to practise his men at gunnery; and they now gave unequivocal prrof of the proficiency to which they had attained. The main and mizen masts of the Amethyste fell in quick succession, before the cannonade had lasted half an hour; and her hull soon became riddled from stem to stern: still the desperate crew continued a feeble and irregular fire. The Amethyste's two consorts, in the mean time, had made sail, and were running for shelter under the battery of Maraguana. At about three quarters past seven, desirous to put an end to whanow could hardly be called a contest, sir James Yeo hailed to know if the Amethyste (whose colours had been shot away) had surrendered: some one on board replied in the affirmative; and the Southampton ceased her fire. Scarcely had she done so, than the fire-mast and bowsprit of the Amethyste went by the board.7A proof of the inexperience of the latter's crew, and the confusion into which they had been thrown by the smart and destructive fire of their antagonist, may be seen in the Southampton's loss; which amounted to only one seaman killed, and a midshipman and nine seamen and marines wounded. On the other hand, the Amethyste, out of her crew of 700men (Frenchmen, Americans, Haytians, a motley group of almost every nation,) had 105 men killed and 120 wounded, including among the latter her captain, M.Gaspard. The whole of the surviving crew, except about 20 men, were landed at Maraguana, Petite-Goave, and Port-au-Prince; and the frigate, under jury masts, fitted while she lay in Port-au-Prince, proceeded, in company with the Southampton, to Port Royal, Jamaica. On a subsequent day, we believe, the Amethyste was restored to Christophe; and the conduct of sir James Yeo, in all he had done, was approved.”

All of the above taken from "NOTES TO ACCOMPANY DRAWINGS OF THE 32 GUN FRIGATE HMS SOUTHAMPTON" by Richard Braithwaite.

WIP pics:

In the dockyard :p

Very interesting history there! And she's shaping up beautifully! :doff
Anyway, which game/s will you make the pack for?

POTC :yes

Small update, stern and bow got more details

Tris count is 7100 :)

Wow, what's story! She toke action in all the bigger battles! The model is great too!

Thanks, mateys :yes

I added more backround info to the first post.

Small update, bow and stern almost done :)
71928329.png

97075116.png

Experimenting with a new base plank texture, I want to it to look a bit 'rougher' than the one I used on the Sphynx:

2-4.png

Thoughts? :shrug

Seems like I´m on the right track with the new plank texture :p

Started working on the RN colour scheme:

33456.png

hey whats up Bava?I just signed to post a coment for your awesome ships.Keep it up dude ;)

anyways,how's the poly count going??

hey whats up Bava?I just signed to post a coment for your awesome ships.Keep it up dude ;)

he atolest...nice to see you here and thanks! :cheers

anyways,how's the poly count going??

Growing :D Pc is around 30k tris now, it could be a bit lower, though (mirrored parts, redundant edge loops I kept for easier mesh editing etc).

Here are some wires if you´re interested:

Hows your M&B ship coming along? :)

oo I hope some day I will be good as you xD:

my m&b ship is freezed as all my ships since I never finish them :?

I started to make a smaller one,a row boat or something lika that without plans.Here look:
Sinnombre.jpg

test2.jpg

Back