• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Lugger Grayhound

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
A few years ago, I ran across a time-laps video on Youtube showing the first few months of the building of a brand new Lugger called the Grayhound. The video stopped long before the ships completion, so I figured I would wait a while and see if anything else was uploaded. There was another video uploaded a while later that showed just a bit more, but still was short of the boats completion. At the time, I didn't really do much investigating to find out what was going on. As usual, I was distracted by other things and short on time, so I moved on.

I did notice a few other videos posted on the same channel though, showing a lot of work on smaller vessels, such as this one on, the Mayflower, a 14' clinker built dinghy.

The name of the Youtube channel is Traditional Maritime Skills, the channel is an extension of the Virtual Learning Environment over at Boat-Building.org, which is part of the European 2 Seas Project. This project aims to insure that traditional ship building skills are not lost!

Thankfully, have a much longer attention span than I do, and while I was distracted by other things and forgot about this project over the past few years, they finished the Grayhound and added many, many more videos! A few weeks ago, they uploaded the second part of the video I found that shows the final stages of building, and the launching of the Grayhound back in 2012.

The Grayhound Lugger!

Part 1

Part 2

The Greyhound is currently sailing the Atlantic with a family living on board her full time. They make a living with small cargo runs and sailing excursions. In other words, these folks have it made! You can read a lot more about the Grayhound, her construction, and the family that sails her over at their web page HERE!

Back