• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

"The Short of It" and "Now What?"

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
We now do have actual access to the source of the Storm 2.8 EXE and DLL files!
That is the game engine used for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships, for all who don't know.

Access to these files will be provided to people who:
a. Indicate interest in it
b. Have enough coding knowledge to do something with it
c. Have show dedication and trustworthiness
(apologies for this one, but we have given Mr. Zaitsev our promise to handle the files as confidentially as possible)

Pirate_KK has modified the code so it compiles (almost) properly with VC++ 2008.
There is some small issues that he found and is looking into:
1) some strings have the last letter cut in the interfaces
2) the selected option in dialogs isn't highlighted

Once these are sorted, it is time to include our compiled versions in the CoAS Combined Modpack,
I reckon, so people can check for any other weirdness that would need to be sorted.

As soon as we've got properly working PA!-compiled files, we can start thinking of what to do next.
Of course we can get carried away, but what do we REALLY want to achieve?
We'll need to come up with a seriously good battle-plan here!

Here's some of things I would like:
1. Finish PotC Build 14 (this one will always be on #1 until it's DONE!)
2. Port as much content from the Build Mod to the Storm 2.8 engine
3. Wherever we need to, code things directly into the engine rather than using strange workarounds like we did in the Build Mod
4. Start on adding in new source code content only after all the above are complete

But, as I said, those are MY ideas and you might think differently of it.
In any case, do pitch in your thoughts. This is the best thing that ever happened to PA!,
so let's make sure we don't let it go to waste!!!

I agree Pieter, this is the best thing to ever happen to PA! As far as I know, it is unprecedented anywhere else too! Putting the finishing touches on Build 14 should definitely be our top priority! Then we can put our full efforts into fixing things proper with the source code.

Great news about the compiling by Pirate_KK, fantastic work mate! Would adding our compiled code to the mod packs be a good idea though? I am propbably misunderstanding here, but wouldn't that be like giving the game to anyone who downloaded the CoAS Modpack?

I know there are numerous small story line bugs and modeling errors that need fixing in Build 14, but what are the major things that need to be accomplished for the build to be "finished"? I know its probably not an easy question to answer, but it would make things a bit easier to have some clearly defined goals. I am sure there are also things that we just can't fix, or can't fix easily without changing the source code, such as some of the particle collision problems or easily adding new locations and islands.

Things are starting to slow down for me at work, so I should have a little more free time again. Even though I really don't have much modding or coding experience, I'm willing to help in any way I can.

If our compiled EXE and DLL files are included in the CoAS modpack, we're still not giving away the full game.
After all, you need the rest of the resources too, eg. models and textures.
We've got the full EXE and DLL files included in the Build mod as well.
Doing this for CoAS with the PA!-compiled files would ensure they get tested
and we can find out if there's any unexpected additional instability from using our files rather than the originals.

As for what needs to be done for Build 14: A whole bunch of things.
One of the things I'll be looking into this leave will be making a proper to-do list. :yes

Ah, OK, got ya now mate, thanks for clearing that up Pieter! :onya

Hello mateys ! I am coder from russian Blackmark Studio (BMS). Some days ago we released next pack to COAS - 1.3 Adventure Tales (sorry, in russian only - http://www.blackmark.bz/forums/index.php?showtopic=1625 ). Is there any chances to work together with you with storm sources (ideas & code exchange) ? It's very interesting to me (storm sources) and i have some ideas about some new functionality of storm 2.8. I have some experience with C (mainly) && C++ coding.
I will guarantee that all confidential info will be secured.
Sorry for my bad english.

You certainly have my ear! :woot

For everyone whose Russian is not so good (eg. ME!), see here the Google translation:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.blackmark.bz/forums/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D1625&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgLYvDnn451tcPvQAMLVVeiHAM4Aw

Some simple ideas about storm 2.8 modification if you interested this (at first time) :
------------------------------------------------------
1) Additions and rework in Battle && Land interfaces
2) Second row of vants has 3 ropes (not 5)
3) Different flags mod w/o ugly dll hacks (we realised this mod for COAS - it's work w/o problems for us)
4) Movable reys (in vertical) - may be for chinese junk
5) maybe improve ships AI
6) 2 types of cannons per ship (for example - 16f culverins && 24f cannons in one ship )
7) Additional SendMessage() calls to modify some kernel variables in the fly (we need this for our mods)
and so on ...

Link to previous patch from BMS for COAS 1.2.4 Fine Tuning - http://www.blackmark.bz/forums/index.php?showtopic=654 (1.2.3 Hardcore Edition also included in this patch)

Especially 3 and 6 sound very interesting to me!

At the moment, we've got only one coder (pirate_kk) who is doing anything with the code.
He's working on making it compile properly.
Other than that, we've got no other coders who will be likely to do any work on it soon.
I'm sort-of hoping we can find some somewhere, or attract some of our old-time coders.

I would love to work on the code (as I have access to it and experience) but my workload at uni at the moment is just to much for me to put to much work into it :(

Any idea when your workload might be going down again? Holiday coming up at some point?
I should have access to the code, but wouldn't have a clue what I'd be looking at.
My coding knowledge IS limited. Very much so...

What conditions to get access to the engine source code and start working/coding ? Is this possible or not ?

Here are the conditions:
- A person needs to pretty much ask
- Then the storm group (people who already have access) will discuss this persons "application"
- Thinks that we look at are: how they are going to use it, is work going to be done, are they trustworthy (in our eyes, saying your trustworthy isnt going to be good enough) and commitment are the big 3 we look at

following this you will either be granted access or denied access (with the chance to maybe get access at a later date)

Yep, that sounds fair enough to me.

In the case of yourself, we don't really know you very well yet, of course.
Therefore I don't think we could give you access to the files straight away.
However, you would be more than welcome to help us do some finishing work on Build 14
and that way allow us to get to know you. We then can grant you access.

Since you represent your own modding community, I understand that this might be tricky.
If you have any better ideas or other suggestions, we'd be very happy to hear them. :yes

I know this might be annoying to you and please believe that we have nothing against you or the community you represent.
We just have given our word to seaward.ru to be very careful with these files... :?

I've read all suggestion with source code... But first think, I've imagined while reading "we have source code" was:

• Full alpha support — I think this should be made as one of priority things... That would be much of improvement...
    I'd like... No... I want to be able to putt alpha on everything... Characters, weapons...
    (Now we can place them only on some location parts... and ships I guess)
  • Shader support — For those, who don't know: Shaders is separate "textures" added on models in-game... Using that texture, engine generates shadows and this way simulates 3d effect...
    Right now, plain 4 polygon wall, painted as "brick" wall is looking as is... Simply wall painted as brick... With brick shaders painted on that wall, wall would have little shadows in space between brick... And having only 4 polygons, wall would look, as it has more that 4000 polygons...
  • Increased polygon handling — If this would have done, we might have better and larger locations, decreasing loading counts... In this way we could merge locations, that are now into one (entire grenford town as one location... or even entire island...)...
  • Character "part" support — This feature is my dream in STORM... Your character model is just invisible animation running around... All look of character is simply animated parts, that are shown on your "invisible" animation depending of your inventory.

What a hell I'm talking about?
    Imagine:
    -Character is invisible... Technically... You chose your "head" ("haircut", "facial hair") before starting new game (and might be later change)...
    -You equip "English uniform" in inventory... And animated "costume" (technically character with no head, looking just like eng soldier) attaches to your animation... And you look like English soldier... Just with your characters face...
    -You can change your clothing any time... Apply hat, blade, pistol, compass, backpack, money pouch etc... Everything have separate model, that is attached to you when you equip it

Afcource most of my suggestions would be graphical improvement... And something that akella haven't done... And probably hard-to-code... But still... I can dream, can't I? Just written here my "wish-list"...

There are so many things that can be done and no doubt will be done over time, i think one area that needs a lot of work is the AI, when you tell a ship of yours to sail away you mean sail away from the enemy not towards them. Perhaps been able to tell them in which direction to sail would make this far more easier than trying to actaully make it so they sail away since by telling them sail in what ever direction you choose you can use the ships ability to its advantage ie small agile ship into the wind while a Galleon or other trade ship or big ship to sail with the wind or as close to it as possible.

Flags are a must, new nations are a must. The period mod is a must. These open the doors to many good new storylines and make for more quests to be added. More islands would be nice, the weather really needs improving its so unrealistic it makes you want to cry. Perhaps making a way for the ships textures to be used in a better way such as each nation having there own textures rather than making several ships of the same type we could use and add more textures to each of the ships and coding it so the game will alway's use which ever texture file ie, Hull 1, Hull 2 etc as there texture and not all of them as is the case at the moment. If more texture folder for each ship could be added which i can't see why they couldn't then that would reduce as said the amount of ships been made for each nation and make the period mod work better.

Chaning the way ships are generated, as it stands at the moment the shiputilities file is what determines what ships are generated, so all ships listed there are generated both at sea and at the shipyard, if you for example don't want Frigates to be purchaseable but what them to be generated at sea you can't do it, in truth ships like Frigates was not sold to privateers neither was MOW's so capturing them was the only way possible, that needs to be implemented into the game and again that would make the period mod work even better.

Direct sail is another big mod that everyone wants, perhaps the storm engine will make this more easier to implement into COAS and reduce the amount of files needed to be worked on to get it all to work.

There is just so much out there that could be added, but baby steps. Getting each and everyone in is good but not so good if they don't work to well or course conflicts somewhere in the game, One day though we will be able to have all that and no doubt will still have tons of things to think about adding. :will

I do very much like most of the ideas posted above.
Especially SuperDurnius' idea of alpha maps on character models is BRILLIANT!
It's a small thing, but would be sooo convenient!

However, at this time I don't think it's brainstorming on ideas that we need.
Ideas we can come up with, no problem.
What we REALLY need is ideas on how to practically get things done!

Ok, thank you very much Pieter && Captain Maggee for your answers !
I agree with you that you don't really known me well. Need some actions from my side and some time to change this situation :)
Suggestion from my side : may be some game features from our mods (1.2.3 HE && 1.2.4 FT) would be interesting to PA! community ? We could port some features to vanilla COAS scripts (eng. version) and then port them over COAS CM v3.

Since I have very little involvement in any CoAS work,
I think someone of the Combined Modpack team should comment on that.
Until PotC Build 14 is finished, I don't have much care for anything AoP/CoAS-related. :shrug

Back