• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

"The Short of It" and "Now What?"

I think the same too...

By me, Pirate_kk should simply learn/fix code to be able to compile... and experiment with it... But don't start real modding before B14 is finished and entire team is ready to start B15 on CoAS engine...

I even think, that B15 should be made from scratch... And combined mod should be ported to B15 (no combined mod "upgrading" to B15)...

And my suggestions was engine improvements... Not game play features... They should be done even before b15 start... But that probably will require upgrade to DX8 or DX9...

And for example, if before B15 would be made my idea of "Character Parts"... It would be esear to make "parts" on later time while mod will come... But if this would be done after B15... Much of "re-work"...

By me, Pirate_kk should simply learn/fix code to be able to compile... and experiment with it... But don't start real modding before B14 is finished and entire team is ready to start B15 on CoAS engine...
Yep, sounds good to me. He's working on getting it to the point where it compiles properly and once we're there,
that means we can test whether our locally-compiled version works as well as the original.
That'll take us a while to test, during which hopefully we can work on finishing Build 14.

I even think, that B15 should be made from scratch... And combined mod should be ported to B15 (no combined mod "upgrading" to B15)...
I do think there's some serious value in that thought of yours.
We now have close to everything we need to really DO make the best Storm-engine based pirate game there is.
So wouldn't it be great if, rather than working from what we have on Storm 2.8 (eg. CoAS + CM),
we would instead approach it as a new game.

We'd have to decide what we want to keep from CoAS and what we'd want to ditch.
Basically, make a "simple", "empty" game version for us to fill with what we want.
At that point, we could also try and come up with what game engine modifications we would like,
so that we can work on those BEFORE doing anything else.
That way we could make use of them straight away,
rather than having to redo a lot of work afterwards.

Then when we've got the "empty" game version with the game engine updated to the point where we're happy with it,
we could divide into several teams, such as:
- Ship Modeling (let's only put the REALLY good old ones in and make whatever else we need that we don't have)
- Character Modeling (same as above)
- Location Setup (using as many existing models as possible and inventorize what types we're missing)
- Interface work
- Game features work

Eventually we'd then be able to make a full game world that we're happy with,
after which (or during which), the storyline writers can add playable content.

I suggest little different set-up of team... Will PM you with it... This need closed discussion for now...

That was just some random thoughts anyway. :razz

Anyway, so hooooow are we going to get this show on the road?
And don't give me the "you do it" thing, because I can't. Therefore I won't. :whipa

Ok, thank you very much Pieter && Captain Maggee for your answers !
I agree with you that you don't really known me well. Need some actions from my side and some time to change this situation :)
Suggestion from my side : may be some game features from our mods (1.2.3 HE && 1.2.4 FT) would be interesting to PA! community ? We could port some features to vanilla COAS scripts (eng. version) and then port them over COAS CM v3.

If you give us a readme file in English of everything you wish to port over and what it changes to the gameplay etc then that would help us out alot to better understand what it is thats there and what will work with the community mod. :onya

I agree with the ships. There are a lot of awfull shipmodels in the game. I rather have less well made ships than a heap of crappy ones.
Characters idem.

Well, and the rest of programmers (me for instance) who want to get their hands on Storm engine 2.8 source code should wait till Akella release those sources to public. Unfortunatelly we don't know when it will happen.
Prooflink (with google translate):
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Flegend.seaward.ru%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D13607&sl=ru&tl=en

That is really interesting; apparently it WILL happen! :shock
Though it should be Akella/seaward.ru who hands it out,
so we still can't make it freely accessible.
However, it does look like anyone can ask Mr. Zaitsev for it.

Looks to me like Akella doesn't really care about their Storm engine anymore.
Apparently they're ready to move on, but they are doing the smart thing and giving it to the modders.
Good job on their part! :woot

I fully agree the source code should only be given to those who will use it correctly, those who wish to get there hands on should not be given it inless the staff here at PH are happy with there work and experience levels. Other's who want it will obviously go and get it from Mr. Zaitsev which is fine, i just hope they know what they are doing or perhaps they are going to practise and use it as a way to learn more advanced levels of codding. :shrug

Interesting news indeed, looks like we will have some competition. Thanks to pirate_kk though, we will have a pretty good head start! :onya

Well after a certain member went AWOL who we thought we could trust I have to say our level of trust of people have taken a blow, we promised it wouldnt be leaked from PA! and we are definatelly making sure that is the case :yes

Well after a certain member went AWOL who we thought we could trust I have to say our level of trust of people have taken a blow, we promised it wouldnt be leaked from PA! and we are definatelly making sure that is the case :yes

Oh wow, what the hell was that person thinking.

Come on guy's you are been trusted with something. If people want to get the source code they will from else where. When you break the confidence in the staff they loose trust in everyone and start question who will be next to give the code to someone who hasn't be allowed permission. Think, don't ruine it for other's.

It wasnt the source code luckily that was the thing we had to worry about, but this person probably would have been trusted with it if they had asked for it when we got it...

They went AWOL before we got the source code

Oh i read to much into it then, sorry about that. At least the source code wasn't leaked. :will

Nope; the source code is still safe with a grand total of two people.
NOT counting me, because... well, I don't actually have it. :facepalm

we would instead approach it as a new game.

Definitely agree there.
The Build Mod as far as i can see has grown an extreme amount, and no offence to anyone (as i know the quality is great, and there are requirements in place), but that does mean differences in quality, with things standing out (in a good way, or bad, from everything else, rather than the whole setup blending together). Not to mention, everyone has their own way of doing things - art wise specifically.

Fresh start allows for a clear defined future with everything reaching its best. Simply porting models works, but i doubt very heavily they'll have the same quality as can be attained - once the engine has been sufficiently "updated" to allow for more modern graphic details.

They're a start (and im sure they're are plenty worth keeping), but im sure if the engine is advanced effectively we might find models lacking in polygons, parts, animations, or correct texture maps.
From experience, going back and cleaning/improving things can be easier (or sometimes just confusing) - but in the long run starting from scratch always leads to perfection (removing the unwanted, finding easier/quicker ways to do things, experience etc.).

Practice makes perfect ;) - im sure everyone here has had enough of that to make a fresh start as perfect as the engine will allow.

It does sound very interesting to do things that way.
I'm always a sucker for perfection, though we have to be realistic as well.
At this time, we don't exactly have an infinite amount of people to do the work,
so once we get to it, we have to balance the "ideal" situation with what we can actually do.
We don't want to end up with an abandoned, partly perfect game. :facepalm

Back