• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Things COAS lacks.

Harrow

Freelance Modder
Storm Modder
I'd like people to write some ideas and/or comment on already said ideas.
I'll be the one updating the list.

Here it goes:

Lacking
1. A shack, room or something on land that your captain can call home. Even the most famed sea dogs had a little thing they could call home.. Perhaps with a small chest where you can keep some pieces of eight?
2. Change that "Piasters" to "Pieces of Eight". DONE
3. Be able to EXECUTE your prisoners just for the heck of it. ( Added crew morale and bad rep if prisoner is not pirate)
4. Re-make reputation names.. it's just not as fulfilling to be "Bloody Assassin" as it was to be "Horror of the high seas".
5. Make bounty hunters a little more realistic. I don't think it's realistic when they're all over the place. There's more bounty hunters than merchants!
6. Make your sails colour changeable, torn/normal and whatnot.
7. Make ship journeys a little more enjoyable.. Some action like people braking the ship's articles (Documents each and every crew member on board sings, valid until said contract of cruise or w.e is finished. BASICALLY, ship rules).
Examples: Brawls between 2-3 crew members, traitors that are found(actual scene, in cabin or wardroom) and executed, etc.
8. Implement more tradable goods which are more realistic and fitting for the 17th century Caribbean trade.
9. A character sailing your ship in 3D sailing mod. (Can be a crew member, since captains didn't ALWAYS sail their ships themselves.)

Comon, any other ideas? Let's put them all in here!

My Ideas....

1. I'd like to see more of one on one fights say (Jack, Barbossa) (Will, Davy jones) in my opinion the game lacks a good old captain show down. Fair enough you fight them when you board ship, but come on that isn't a fight. That's two men or women slapping each other until the other dies.
(Make the fight take place on the deck, also instead of small room)
2. The Black Pearl, it has black Sails and Black Hull.... What is the point. in the films it apparenlty gives it the ship the ability to go unseen during the night.
YEAH RIGHT, you might aswell hang neonlights say FIRE HERE. Over the side of the ship. Please make so when it's night The enemy doesn't know your location so they just fire any where.
3. This might bother a few people just like it bothers me, but has anyone noticed the sizes of the ships compared to the ports and islands for that mater. Way out of proportion in my perspective. "take us into port", "aye, captain, errr sorry i run us aground BECAUSE WE'RE TO BIG"
4. Have you ever been able to sail a ship without a captain on deck at the deck, is there a way to get your character to stand at the helm while sailing in normal map.
5. Also might be impossible to add lol, but i noticed you yourself cant actually leave the ship before it sinks, maybe someone could do something about the fact that you die everytime, why not try adding simple longboat so that you can atleast sail away from the battle or get picked up and like james said. depending on what your rep is at the time.

1. A shack, room or something on land that your captain can call home. Even the most famed sea dogs had a little thing they could call home.. Perhaps with a small chest where you can keep some pieces of eight?

This is a fantastic Idea. I would like to see that idea taken one step further. Some ideas to go with that one along that line:
1. The ability to purchase a home on each landmass. (whether it be in the jungle or on land)
2. To be able to purchase upgrades for said home. (Nicer furniture, more chests etc etc)

I like the other ideas posted here as well. :woot

My Ideas....

1. I'd like to see more of one on one fights say (Jack, Barbossa) (Will, Davy jones) in my opinion the game lacks a good old captain show down. Fair enough you fight them when you board ship, but come on that isn't a fight. That's two men or women slapping each other until the other dies.
(Make the fight take place on the deck, also instead of small room)
2. The Black Pearl, it has black Sails and Black Hull.... What is the point. in the films it apparenlty gives it the ship the ability to go unseen during the night.
YEAH RIGHT, you might aswell hang neonlights say FIRE HERE. Over the side of the ship. Please make so when it's night The enemy doesn't know your location so they just fire any where.
3. This might bother a few people just like it bothers me, but has anyone noticed the sizes of the ships compared to the ports and islands for that mater. Way out of proportion in my perspective. "take us into port", "aye, captain, errr sorry i run us aground BECAUSE WE'RE TO BIG"
4. Have you ever been able to sail a ship without a captain on deck at the deck, is there a way to get your character to stand at the helm while sailing in normal map.
5. Also might be impossible to add lol, but i noticed you yourself cant actually leave the ship before it sinks, maybe someone could do something about the fact that you die everytime, why not try adding simple longboat so that you can atleast sail away from the battle or get picked up and like james said. depending on what your rep is at the time.

That's some nice ideas..

About the fifth one, the longboat thingy is actually a perk.. and you DO get "picked up" by your other ship, if you had some sort of squadron (2-3-4 ships).
I've never done this myself (as I don't sink that often :) ) but I believe you actually just start "controlling" the other ship, as if nothing happened?
I'm working on a texture pack of some sort.. I think some pirates are just TOO flashy. Especially with those "Bright Blue+Flashy Yellow" Bandanas and belts.. this is just wierd.
History states that pirates actually wore normal peasant clothes, or old soldiers/admiral clothes. Basically, they were wearing all they could get their hands on.

I'd like people to write some ideas and/or comment on already said ideas.
I'll be the one updating the list.

Here it goes:

Do-able stuff
2. Change that "Piasters" to "Pieces of Eight"!!!! (This can't bother me more, so I'll try to find out how to change it, shouldnt be difficult) Since piastres is french (don't get me wrong, I'm a frenchie :) ) I just think it's more faithfull to.. well to pirates.

The more I get involved with these forums, and the better chance i may have by influcing the historical accuracies of COAS, the more research i have been doing (I havent done this much work since college)

I came across the following snipet

"Spanish pieces of eight minted in Mexico or Seville were the standard trade currency in the American colonies. However, every colony still used the monetary units of pounds, shillings and pence for bookkeeping while Spanish, German, French and Portuguese money were all standard mediums of exchange as British law prohibited the export of British silver coinage. Until the exchange rates were standardised in the late 1700s each colony legislated its own different exchange rates. In England, 1 piece of eight was worth 4s 3d while it was worth 8s in New York, 7s 6d in Pennsylvania and 6s 8d in Virginia. One 18th century English shilling was worth around $58 in modern currency so a piece of eight could be worth anywhere from $246 to $465. As such, the value of pirate plunder could vary considerably depending on who recorded it and where.[34][35]"
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy )

So yes, in my mind, the piaster NEEDS to be replaced.
It also sounds like a form of currency trading could have been done at that time as well.

I agree most definatley with the last statement.

But also the games Developers and Modders need to start thinking of the little details that make a game set in this particular time frame enjoyable and unique.
Now i don't know if there planning a third game, and quiet frankly you should post a link on their site to this form because they could learn alot from the players that enjoy these types of games.
I don't mean make the game so realistic that it's no longer enjoyable but to gamers the realistic side of these games matter. Take the islands for example, they look near enough the same as each other. not fordges no fog, no rumors no unique features of their own. The only island that has a unique feature is the bermudes which is my favirate place on game because i love dodging the rocks surrounding the entrance to the island.
Also the lack of bosses which i'm do admit i enjoy going up against a good boss. I think the only boss on game is the dutchman, and that rarely comes out to play if not ever.
And the lack of historical pirates, Black Beard, Bartholomew Sharp, Black Bart, ETC.
I would like to see some sort of BOSS inprovement with these three pirates in mind. or make them playable characters of other captains.

I know i make things hard on the modders by suggesting things that baffle them completely but is it that hard to make this game what should have been from the
very begining.

I have seen and captured a Sloop with the name Queen-Anns-Revenge, maybe in a later mod Black Beard AKA Teach will be added to the game and a ship for him will be abailable, i already have a ship in mind, it wouldn't be the 40+ guns they said he had mounted but it would be as close to as possible while keeping to the size of ship it was. :onya

These are indeed some great ideas mates! Some of them have been brought up here before and I know there were a few modders working on them for POTC over the years, but some were never finished for one reason or another. Akella and Seaward are both very much aware of these forums and some of their members do stop by occasionally. They even used a lot of our ideas in AOP. They were in the process of working on the next game in the series, called Corsairs 4 in Russia, but unfortunately the game was put on hold for lack of financing. This game was going to be a LOT more historically accurate and it was going to have a money exchange system similar to what FireBat referenced above. You can find an early version of a trailer for it HERE!

Thanks to the folks at Akella and Seaward and a few of our fantastic modders, we have recently got our hands on the source code for Storm 2.8(The Engine CoAS is based on), hopefully that will make implementing a lot of our ideas much easier! Once we get the technical stuff figured out that is. :facepalm

One thing I have wanted to see added, not just the ability to have your own house on land, but also the ability to build your own pirate base! This was one of the options I loved most about Port Royal II! You could grow your own crops and produce your own goods, and of course you also had to defend your little settlement from the not so appreciative local governments! :onya

Modding is not the easiest thing for some of us, I have tried my hand at it several times over the years, but I have yet to be very successful at it. Which is why my title reads News Gatherer, it's the best way I can give back to a community that has given so much enjoyment and pleasure to me over the years. Stick around mates, there are going to be some interesting developments around these parts over the next few years!

The screen shots and trailer look awesome, pity that development stopped. I wonder if it would of seen an international release. Based on the video, it looks like it would of taken place sometime in the 1700's.

Yeah, it really is Officerpuppy, this was going to be one beautiful looking game! It is based on a completely different engine, I forget what it was right off. The way western publishers have treated Akella's games in the past, I wouldn't blame them if they just released it in Russia and not even try to market it in the west, if they even resume development. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Playlogic wanted CoAS to fail, and fail miserably! There is NO WAY a company can be so inept at marketing a game and remain in business! Bethesda did pretty much the same with Sea Dogs, although they were not quite as blatant about it as Playlogic has been.

Here is a little better version of the trailer on Youtube, you can get better resolution if you actually watch it on Youtube.

Well.. I'll be starting to read out all the quests available and maybe set-up some sort of new quest generators, similar to the ones where you gotta search for a ship and whatnot.

HOWEVER, I'm not all that familiar with the coding.. so for now perhaps I'll stick to re-texturing some stuff. I'll hit modeling if I get a good idea for something..

Its really too bad that a new pirate game got put on the backburner. I find that pirate games are lacking in number (and quality in some cases) Its too bad that we are limited to making mods, and not an entirely new game. (which most of these mods are anyway) A lot of the ideas and mods here could and have revolutionized pirate games into something that isnt just thrown together for the bucks.

Its times like that I debate taking my wife's suggestion of going back to school to be a game developer. She tells me that she hasnt seen me have a passion for anything like this before....I just dont want to fall under the same spell of other developers of easy money....

Sounds good James IronHook! The way CoAS is written, the coding is really very similar if not almost identical to POTC. There are of course some differences, but we will get them ironed out eventually. Re-texturing is definitely a good place to start.

FireBat, why not start your schooling here mate? We are a lot cheaper than any college you will ever find, and we are a lot more friendly too! Plus, we won't try and push Marxism down your throat ...pirates damn near invented democracy ya know! :onya

If you gents haven't seen it yet, I did a History and Tutorials manual for the POTC New Horizons Beta. There are a lot of great tutorials written by some of the best modders we have ever had here at PA! Coding CoAS is very similar, and I learned far more buy re-editing those tutorials than I have in the many years I have been on this forum. Things in CoAS are a bit different, but reading through them might give you a better idea of exactly how the code works. You can find the download link for the PDF in my sig if your curious. I hope they help some, good luck mates!

If you gents haven't seen it yet, I did a History and Tutorials manual for the POTC New Horizons Beta. There are a lot of great tutorials written by some of the best modders we have ever had here at PA!
Does that include my updated quest writing tute :rofl

I suggest the same thing as Thagarr, Im one of the few modders here who had previous experience before coming, most learn by doing and gain experience that way ;)

If you gents haven't seen it yet, I did a History and Tutorials manual for the POTC New Horizons Beta. There are a lot of great tutorials written by some of the best modders we have ever had here at PA!
Does that include my updated quest writing tute :rofl

Not yet mate, you hadn't finished it before I finished the manual! :wp

I do plan on adding it, and a lot of other stuff, if I ever get any free time again! :modding

FireBat, why not start your schooling here mate? We are a lot cheaper than any college you will ever find, and we are a lot more friendly too! Plus, we won't try and push Marxism down your throat ...pirates damn near invented democracy ya know! :onya

Aye, that's sorta the plan (for now) I think i may even be getting the hand of it. I'm going to work at it all day today, and see how it goes. I've read up on the tutorials, and those have helped quite a bit.

Hi mates, i've just watched the video and have to say what an amazing game it would have been if development had continued. i agree with the statement from FireBat. pirate games are lacking in number and this game would have given a new breed of game to the pirate genre.
I think that in many ways the people who play these games..

Such as ourselves, who make forums, create mods and expansions as it were to further develop and already great game to play should impact not only the development of a game but also the creativity, freedom to expand on it. games these days lack what i will call.
The Ability To Be Unique.

The reason i say this is because game developes these days as FireBat again says they want easy money. but also they want to better the other companies, out sell other games and so on.
To me and i'm sure many of you feel that they lost themselves.

My mom once said to me 'To create something, Is to rely on your imagination, Not force it For someone elses benifit'
I think many of you would agree that this small statement fits.
In my opinion the real developers are right here on this site, because i have never seen a group of people more determined to expand on a
game such as yourselves.

And i am grateful to be apart of such a community

Back