• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Things COAS lacks.

In my opinion the real developers are right here on this site, because i have never seen a group of people more determined to expand on a
game such as yourselves.

I completly agree mate. These talented folks get no financial compensation for thier time. Thier only reward is knowing that they are improving the gaming community.

Most people leave a half-assed game on the shelf. These people are turning a game that was created with the idea of making a buck, into a real gaming experience.

In my opinion the real developers are right here on this site, because i have never seen a group of people more determined to expand on a
game such as yourselves.

I completly agree mate. These talented folks get no financial compensation for thier time. Thier only reward is knowing that they are improving the gaming community.

Most people leave a half-assed game on the shelf. These people are turning a game that was created with the idea of making a buck, into a real gaming experience.

Firebat, we don't need financial compensation.
And I do believe this applies to each and every modder here on "PiratesAhoy!":
We take our time to modify this game to our own liking because we like it, because afterward, we can go play that game we modded, the way we wanted it to be. The way it was meant to be, the way WE mean it to be :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I'm not the only one that is modding on PiratesAhoy! just because he wants to make a good game, a game worth the multiple re-plays that the modders themselves would play, after they finish their modding. :dance

By the way, shouldn't we get back onto the subject of this thread? 'Cause I'm still taking ideas :)

game such as yourselves.

Nope my satisfaction comes from hearing how much people injoy playing the game and how the new / edited features have made the game more playable. My personal goal when i started modding COAS was to make the naval battles more realistic add more cannons to the game, reduce the chances of destroying masts because they was far too easy. Port over as many ships from POTC as i could. As time went by i started finding other peoples mods i liked and adding them to my own mods creating a mini CMV. All in all my goals have been achieved only fine tuning is needed now although my goals have been achieved my disire to improve COAS rages on and the work everyone is putting into COAS is amazing. We haven't done as much as POTC but already we are seeing the game become more playable and the replay factor increase. I think CMV3 makes the game more stable too, i know the vanilla game was unstabble after 4 to 6 hours the game would close down giving an error message saying something like "sorry for the convienece but the program had to be closed down". In CMV3 i have had that happen but not as often, i have been able to test for several hours in large battles and not have any problems. :will

By the way, shouldn't we get back onto the subject of this thread? 'Cause I'm still taking ideas :)

Yep we are going off topic but if it does continue then perhaps a mod will split this topic. ;)

Well, let be one of the first many to say Good Job :onya
It'll be nice not having to save as often when there's a 5 on 5 going down. You ever get to that last ship that you need to destroy/board and game decides it doesnt like you no more....and you have the urge to cram your keyboard through your monitor? :modding

Just saying...

Anywho...from now on I'll be posting all my thoughts on improvements to COAS here, instead of making multiple threads...dont want to be cluttering up the place

It'll be nice not having to save as often when there's a 5 on 5 going down. You ever get to that last ship that you need to destroy/board and game decides it doesnt like you no more....and you have the urge to cram your keyboard through your monitor? :modding

Thanks bud. :onya

If you have save before boarding (or what ever its called) turned on in your game options then it auto saves just before you board, mine is on all the time and i make sure its on if i start a new game for the simple reason been the game is more likely to close during naval battles than at any other time. If i'm involved in a naval battle of say 4 ships or more i will save every game hour, on the last ship remaining i like to demast it and then sit blowing holes in it to build my aiming and cannon skills up aswell as my crews gunnery skills. xD:

Thanks bud. :onya

If you have save before boarding (or what ever its called) turned on in your game options then it auto saves just before you board, mine is on all the time and i make sure its on if i start a new game for the simple reason been the game is more likely to close during naval battles than at any other time. If i'm involved in a naval battle of say 4 ships or more i will save every game hour, on the last ship remaining i like to demast it and then sit blowing holes in it to build my aiming and cannon skills up aswell as my crews gunnery skills. xD:

Yes, i have that option set, but i still want to cram my keyboard through the monitor all the same :modding
I like that tactic of yours...i could imagine that your crew is quite talented with a cannon. Just be sure to put cotton in thier ears so they cant here the enemies cries for mercy...lol

!!NEW IDEA!!
You ever wonder if a critical hit could be more 'critical'
IE your last broadside of bomb detonates inside the cargo hold where the enemy stores thier gunpowder, causing the enemy ship to do 2 things
1: if the enemy ship has a small amount of power (500 units or less) they loose about 3/4 of it and take a large amount of damage (in relation to the amount of hit points of the ship of course)
2: The enemy ship spontaneously exploded in Hollywood fashion...and sinks to the depth

My tactics are (for single ships battles) demast the enemy ship, kill the crew with grapeshots, then pound the hell out of it will round shots. This build all the skills up for cannons and the crews gunnery skills, if i'm already maxed out in cannons and aim i demast the ship and sail away looking back thinking if only AI captains could hunt you down for doing things like that. :rolleyes:

I will use the Barque or a Corvette as my main ships, i like challanges and fighting Frigates with a Barque can be fun although its not so much fun if you have massive sail damage hence the reason i try to rig my sails or use battle sails while fighting and hopping they don't demast me. Of course it depends on which Frigates are attacking me, i won't attack all Frigates like the Constitution with its 54 gun's thats just crazy attacking that thing. I alway's run from MOW's and ships with 60+ guns on, one broadside off a ship with that amount of guns and your in trouble.

i have a hope to one day add to the mods on the site, but to tell you the truth all im really good at is writing, as i have a habbit of writing short stories that no ever gets to read. i wish in some way i can create a mod worthy of this site and some day add my own little ship to the many already here.

but first i need experience and help. it might take a while but will you lend me advice and help along the way as i attempt to add my very own ship that will be my own contribution to such great people and game

the ship i have in mind is the hms victory, i want to do this because i love the ship, i have had the pleasure of visiting twice and would like to make a one of a kind ship. with your help.

Sorry bud your asking the wrong person for help making the ships, i only ported the ships over which is far easier than making them. We have a more accurate HMS Victory now in CMV3 which you will be able to see soon. But i know the feeling of wanting to give back to the community here on PH, my advice would be to ask the guy's in Storm Engine Modeling because they make the ships and will be able to give you the information you need. I look forward to seeing your work added one day. :onya

As for stories, well you never know you could alway's make a character or use one of the current characters and make a story based around him/her. Then people don't just read it they play it. ;)

Oooh i love a good story.

There was a post here in reference to role-playing. ( http://forum.piratesahoy.net//roleplaying-must-be-done-t15798.html )
It would nice to see a more roleplaying options as those available in PotC NH. Maybe, by looking over the code of New Horizons, it would offer some insight on how to make a character from top to bottom.

As for any help from me on modding...er, barkin up the wrong tree here ya are, I have only very little experience coding...and am in the process of learning myself

well thanks for the replies lol, i am pretty good a writing, not sure about adding it into code tho. never been one to add to that sort of thing, i guess i could always write out a quest by quest storyline sort of thing. then maybe someone could add it for me in terms of putting it into the correct files or maybe telling me how i could do this myself.

and is there any news on when the CMV3 will be put up for download because i know there are patches for it or something like that.

Those aren't patches as such, they are what each of the COAS CM team was doing and as they finished there work they uploaded it so it could all be compiled into CMV3. :onya

Perhaps OP will talk to you about quests and there storylines, i'm not modding that part of the game so i can't help you there sorry bud.

Going back to the subject

What say ye of this?

!!NEW IDEA!!
IE your last broadside of bomb detonates inside the cargo hold where the enemy stores thier gunpowder, causing the enemy ship to do 2 things
1: if the enemy ship has a small amount of power (500 units or less) they loose about 3/4 of it and take a large amount of damage (in relation to the amount of hit points of the ship of course)
2: The enemy ship spontaneously exploded in Hollywood fashion...and sinks to the depth

Going back to the subject

What say ye of this?

!!NEW IDEA!!

Unless I'm wrong I think powder magazine explosions are already in the game :shrug
BTW,..this is what a real magazine explosion looks like
USS Shaw explosion.jpg
Should'nt think it would be quite as spectacular on a 17th century ship though,
but USS Shaw was actualy repaired & put back into service,(good tin beaters in Pearl Harbour).

damski.

this is my second list of ideas guys hope you like.

1. changing the everyday routine of weather, the only time i see it rain is during a storm. no i dont know about you but that seems strange, is there a way to make it rain without damaging your sails and without the gigantic wave show that comes with it.

2. is it possible to slow down the game speed, instead of jumping 5 mins a time it remains 1 min, also is there a download link to luke's ship speed mod yet, so i dont feel like im a nuclear powered speed boat with nos.

3. is there a way to get an english officer as a playable character and same for the frenchies, spaniards and hispaniolas.
(if theres a way i would like to attempt it i you wouldn't mind)

4. can someone please do something about the heights of the ships, they need to be brought down lol. they sit way to high.

In regards to quests, currently there really isn't anyone adept at the required coding for quest writing in CoAS. But once that changes, the community could definitely use some good story writers.

I've worked a bit on a short story that i read to my kids about a sailor...maybe it could be incorperated into a quest...

Sounds like fun Firebat, you would be suprised how questwriting isnt really that difficult, Im probably the one to ask if you struggling with basics but posting a thread about the idea and when you get stuck and someone will be happy to try and help it happen (if you want to give it a go yourself ;))

Back