• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Thinking of Returning

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
Well the title pretty much says all there is to be said. I'm living in Southampton most of the year now and and I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks until I finish some coursework and essays. I saw the occulus rift video and was pretty excited by the prospect of that type of VR. I also feel id be a bit more useful at this stage.

Id need to do a lot of catching up on what's been going on but I'd love to get back into the ship coordination and the sailing stuff QC lead if you'd find that agreeable and not too much.
(And if I haven't been replaced there. :p)
I'm also willing to pass along any naval architecture equations and theory that'll help with the physics as it comes to me.

And if reference images are needed I'm half an hour away from HMS Victory and I have unlimited entry for another year.

Ahoy Post Captain, welcome back mate!

Yeah, that Oculus video is quite impressive, I think it has gotten a lot of peoples attention! I am not sure about Coordination, so for now I have re-added you as creative support and QC.

Ahoy there! All help you can give will always be appreciated, of course.

How is HMS Victory doing now? Did she get het figurehead and mats back yet?
When I visited last year, those had been removed for maintenance which was a bit of a shame.
That being said, Portsmouth is absolutely awesome. Best musea I have seen, really.

She has her problems, her keel's apparently sinking and she needs further restoration. Masts and figurehead are still out unfortunately.
Unless we've started on the sailing system yet I won't be much use as QC yet; our modelers are completely competent as far as accurate rigging and stuff goes. I'll check back every week or so to see if that's started in earnest yet though! I also have quite a lot of new reference material that I can upload in the future. Like I said earlier I have stuff due in the coming weeks so that'll have to wait.

I'll have more time in case I'm needed for something other than that after next Monday; I've got a massive naval architecture easy due.

We're still lying the foundations for everything. No need for complex realistic systems yet, because we need the simple things working first.

Constrained to CQ advisor would it even be with having me come back yet? Still sounds like that's quite a long way off as of yet and I still have plenty of other stuff to do in the mean time!

@Post Captain, I think you have plenty more to offer this project than just your technical knowledge, as much appreciated as that is. I understand your time constraints, but at least this gives you the option of letting you keep track of developments at your own pace that you might not see otherwise. It also affords you the opportunity to comment, should you so choose. Of course, the final choice is yours, and we can certainly remove your access if you wish.

@Post Captain did you work in the NMM? Or can you get good information from there?

I have a very big interest in the follow theme: I have written 3 times to the Marine Exploration Team, who found the 1737 Victory in the channel and rised a few guns. I have tried to get the information of the guns they have in research ( a 12 and a 42 pounder) and was very interest in the real values of it. In reason of the use for HoO. BUT: The values in the papers of it, like length and diameters was very misunderstandable and not logic. I want to ask him if they taken (for example) the length over all or the "real length" from muzzle face till rear end of base ring. But they dont reply. My hope is now, that the NMM can give us this values. I hope they got the guns now (the Exploration team written in some sheet that they give for more research to NMM from each calibre one gun).

Is it possible that you ask for this theme? When you need, I collect the need information in one paper for you.

Unfortunately I don't have great access to the NMM with my time constraints at the moment. Going there would be a full day trip at the very least and my weekdays are booked until my spring break* and I'll be sailing in various races nearly every weekend.

*Potentially doable, actually, although I'm already doing Munich and hopefully Hartlepool.

I'll be far more availiable Friday night and then from Monday onward after I've dealt with my research essay and coursework on naval architecture. (I'll still have a keel design project, then I'm mostly free again.) I'll get back to everyone on Friday when I have more time to think and less to worry about!

@Post Captain : When ever you can do this, this will be very very great!
Its not only to get the values as interest! The special lengths and other proportions, the cast mastar "Schalch" uses was very interesting. Both guns exceed the typical Establishment values and its not logic why.
So far the words in Odysse Marine Exploration report. The values they give was not logic and able to proof so far. I want to recreate and place the guns in the big table of the researched patterns of Bronze design by Borgard and Armstong.

From the 24 pounder of 1737 Victory an detailed picture exists. This gun was rised and restored by a dutch company. They give very good data about. Only a few are missing (see picture).
In contrary, the Odysse Marine Exploration give very, very bad values. They call "historic", never reply Emails and people I call havnt knowledge. Just treasure hunters. :(

BUT: The both rised guns, was restored and now part of the museum at portsmouth historic dockyard. So anybody can easy take the need values of both guns:
http://www.culture24.org.uk/history...-and-returned-to-Portsmouth-Historic-Dockyard

So it will be very great and unbelieveable helpful for us all and specially me, to get the values of both guns, detailed as the dutch company does with the 24 pounder from same wreck.
42 pounder, cast by SCHALCH 1726 (Borgard pattern),
12 pounder, cast by SCHALCH 1734 (very interesting: Armstron pattern with Borgard length (written as very interesting in the papers but without values)

Here as reference the dutch document with need values:

The length must be taken from the end of the base ring (the arrow points to) at cascable side. The red lines point the not taken but interesting values.
The thickness (diameters) are another very important detail.
And last but not least the given weight, cast at the cascable moulding.

If you have a very good day and many pleasure and good mood then it will be great the write down all widhts and heights of the_
- basering with fillets
- width and height of one reinforce ring, fillets and ogee (both are the same)
- width and height of one normal ring and its astragal (thats a ring like the two between trunnion ring (second reinforce ring) and muzzle)

Thank you very, very much!!!
Edit: And if possible many detailed pictures from cascable, dolphin handles and crest and then the guns from all sides.

unbenannt-1mpc4u.jpg

I'll look for them next time I'm over there! Might not be for awhile because I have lectures on weekdays and yacht racing on weekends.

Back