• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Starting Location Mismatch for Personal Free Play Characters

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I DLed this to see how the performance is, and at sea it is fine so far. On land what I have noticed so far is that the clock isn't working. Whatever the time is when I land is the time it will be when I leave, unless I spend a night in the tavern.

PS: I landed at Havana and the place is deserted. There was no one on the waterfront except soldiers, in the old town there were only two NPCs and they did not carry swords, in the new town I saw one NPC, and in a tavern there was one NPC sitting at a table but the bartender and serving wench were there.

Last edited:
Maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic with the "prevent false flag detection on ship deck change".

As for the lack of characters, please provide add a save. Maybe there is a vcskip attribute in place somewhere?
How did you start the game and did you play any quests?

I DLed this to see how the performance is, and at sea it is fine so far. On land what I have noticed so far is that the clock isn't working. Whatever the time is when I land is the time it will be when I leave, unless I spend a night in the tavern.
I just did a very quick test, but cannot confirm that one:
- Started a New Game on Assassin (Arcade Game Mode)
- Time displayed and changed on each location reload (not while remaining in the same location, but that never happened before either)
- Switch to Realistic Game Mode
- Time disappeared on the next reload (because I don't have a clock)
- Gave myself a Chronometer through console and equipped it
- Time reappeared after the next reload
- Reload after that, the time changed too

That all seems to be behaving itself properly as far as I can tell. Can you try to replicate that exact sequence of events to confirm if the same happens to you?

Hmm. I have visited 4 ports and it is the same in all of them. I just tried again at Havana and it is still the same.

I started free play as La Croix as an adventurer and after the cabin tutorial started at Nevis. Then just wandered off.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Cuba.7z
    487.1 KB · Views: 85
I can't check myself until Sunday or Monday.
If I recall, you can try the following thriving console:
Code:
DeleteAttribute (pchar, "vcskip");
That is the only common reason I know for missing random characters.
But that shouldn't end up permanently added to the player. :shock

You skipped the tutorial, right? How exactly did you play that part? And did you visit the Pirates Settlement yet?
I'm wondering if skipping the tutorial the "wrong way" or the Voysey side quest may be responsible.

I didn't skip the tutorial. I declined the sword fighting part and when we left the ship I found meself alone on the dock, so continued on my way by meself. I never saw Voisey or I would have hired him and I was wandering around during the day.

This is starting to sound like a bad download or install. :nerbz

I just wandered around empty Havana again and did a little exploring. The prison was empty except for two guards and the jailer you talk to when starting the La Croix story. It may be that there is a conflict there as the other three places I have visited have lots of NPCs.

Perhaps there is a conflict - if you go to Punta de Maisi, beach on Cuba does a man runs up and fight you

- then the game thinks you are playing the La Croix quest and Havana is deserted because that is the town you escape from prison in, in that story.

The game is waiting for the beach fight scene for the quest to continue.:read

:cheers

I started free play as La Croix as an adventurer and after the cabin tutorial started at Nevis. Then just wandered off.

Are you actually playing Tales of a Chevalier - or did you just select the La Croix model for your character. ( tales of a Chevalier start screen says you start at Punta de Maisi, beach )

I have just tried starting Tales of A Chevalier - started in Captains Cabin - crewman told me not to fight brother - transported to Punta de Maisi, beach on Cuba and brother runs up and fights.

So the story appears to start OK.

No tutorial - and was not at Nevis - so I think something has gone wrong in your game. :shock

:drunk

I didn't skip the tutorial. I declined the sword fighting part and when we left the ship I found meself alone on the dock, so continued on my way by meself. I never saw Voisey or I would have hired him and I was wandering around during the day.
Or a code error. You say that you started the game as a Pirate Adventurer, is that correct?
And then you play through the tutorial, but Malcolm doesn't follow you ashore and doesn't show in the Pirate Settlement town either?
It sounds to me like, as far as the game is concerned, the tutorial is still active as it never finished properly.
That could cause all sorts of issues.

@Talisman caught an identical error before, but I caught and fixed it at the time.
What flag were you flying when you got a shore? Can you even change your flag at all?
(Normally during the tutorial, that is disabled)
And for reference, what is your "served nation" as indicated by the yellow nation name in the F2>Questbook interface?

If possible, please provide a screenshot of the Select Storyline interface detailing as closely as possible the exact settings that you chose.

Come to think of it, I may know what happened.... You probably started the game as a Personal Nation Adventurer?
And that ended up on Nevis rather than Barbados for some reason?
If so, there is a good chance that Malcolm is actually waiting for you to finish that tutorial in Speighstown port.

I'll have to test this when I'm next near my game again.

Note the the "Tales of a Chelavier" opening has got (almost) ZERO to do with the Jean de la Croix character model anymore.
Rather, it is linked to the Gambler and Rogue player types. Of course La Croix happens to be set as Rogue by default.
But if you select Adventurer as player type (NOT difficulty level, just to make things simple) instead, then that whole "Tales of a Chevalier" story won't even be started at all. :no

So what you are saying is:

In Free Play story if the player picks the Gambler and Rogue player types then they will get the "Tales of a Chevalier start" ( fight on the beach )

But if you play the Tales of a Chevalier story in Free Play and you change the default player type to for example Adventurer - you will get a different start and not the "Tales of a Chevallier" Start.

:read

I understand now. :yes

Looked at @Hylie Pistof Save game -- he has changed the profession ( player type ) from Rogue to Adventurer - so he won't have the "Tales of a Chevalier" start.

But Havana is deserted. :yes

:shrug

Yes, it looks like you are working it out. I chose Free Play --> La Croix -->Personal Flag --> Adventurer. This gives me a good time frame, all nations are -45 except Pirates at -60, and a good skill set. Also playing a French character gives me an excuse to start off in Le Diligente tartane, which is an excellent sailing ship.

In Free Play story if the player picks the Gambler and Rogue player types then they will get the "Tales of a Chevalier start" ( fight on the beach )

But if you play the Tales of a Chevalier story in Free Play and you change the default player type to for example Adventurer - you will get a different start and not the "Tales of a Chevallier" Start.
Yes to both.

I understand now. :yes

Looked at @Hylie Pistof Save game -- he has changed the profession ( player type ) from Rogue to Adventurer - so he won't have the "Tales of a Chevalier" start.

But Havana is deserted. :yes
Can you replicate what happens with the tutorial on those starting settings?
I suspect that is where it goes wrong and it doesn't actually have anything to do with the "La Croix" opening.
Though that doesn't explain why it affects only Havana. I'll have to check next week.

Maybe this will help. It looks like I need to go to Speightstown. POTC4 2015-10-09 14-40-44-37.jpg

This has probably been discussed already somewhere, but I hired an officer and gave him a sword and pistol and took off for the next island. When I got there he still had no shot or powder. Is this intentional now?

Can you replicate what happens with the tutorial on those starting settings?

:no - When I try I get Arrival at St Pierre in my quest book. and everything goes OK.

I looked at the other professions -the only one that started in Nevis is Rebel -when I tried that the quest book said Arrival at Pirate Settlement . :shrug

From Hylie's quest book it looks like the game was expecting to carry out the tutorial in Speightstown :shrug

Yes, it looks like you are working it out. I chose Free Play --> La Croix -->Personal Flag --> Adventurer. This gives me a good time frame, all nations are -45 except Pirates at -60, and a good skill set. Also playing a French character gives me an excuse to start off in Le Diligente tartane, which is an excellent sailing ship.

@Hylie Pistof - when you say "Free Play --> La Croix -->Personal Flag --> Adventurer." - where are you selecting the Adventurer

in Image 1 do you mean the box with the RED round it - can be changed to adventurer by clicking on it to get screens in 2 & 3 for adventurer. (player Profession )

Result is Image 4

OR when you say Adventurer do you mean the box with the YELLOW circle in Image 4 -- the player difficulty setting.

Sorry, but I am now very confused about what has happened :facepalm

:drunk

Attachments

• PotC Lacroix Start_1.jpg
    PotC Lacroix Start_1.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 108
  • PotC lacroix Start_2.jpg
    PotC lacroix Start_2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 103
  • PotC Lacroix Start_3.jpg
    PotC Lacroix Start_3.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 134
  • PotC Lacroix Start_4.jpg
    PotC Lacroix Start_4.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 103
Sorry for the confusion. Here is exactly what I chose. POTC4 2015-10-09 16-10-29-54.jpg

I sailed to Speightstown and Malcolm was there. I released him and all seems well as there are now people all over the place. I forgot to look at the clock tho. Next is a trip to Havana.

Normally a French adventurer would start on Martinique and a personal one would on Barbados.
Nevis could happen for a Dutch adventurer in Early Explorers though, for example.

So @Hylie Pistof: Please see if you can post the following:
- Replicate a screenshot of the Select Storyline interface with the exact settings that you chose
- Screenshot of your Nations Relations right after reloading from the tutorial to the Nevis shore
- Screenshot of the Questbook interface at game start

And for the time issue, I suspect that may all be related to the tutorial still "being in progress".
So probably a mismatch in the code somewhere.

That whole new customizable Free Play storyline wasn't really simple to set up and probably there is still some mistake housing in there somewhere.
Just have to narrow it down.

Back