• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Time travel

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
In "Tales of a Sea Hawk", one of the side quests is to help Bartolomeu o Portugues. By way of gratitude, according to Andrew Parsons during the "Assassin" storyline, Bartolomeu arrested Nathaniel Hawk.

Either of these is going to be a good trick. The "Bartolomeu" story starts in 1660 and the "Assassin" story starts in 1665, which isn't too bad. But "Tales of a Sea Hawk" starts in 1750, almost a century later! The original story in the stock game started in 1690, a bit closer but still late enough that while Hawk is doing his bit for Silehard, both Bartolomeu and Elting are probably either retired or dead. By comparison the real Henry Morgan started pirating in 1661 and died of ill health in 1688.

Perhaps Bartolomeu needs one of these. xD

A name change for Bart O Port and Nat would fix those things. Bart O Port has a pretty good sword too.

It's not just a name change. Bartolomeu's raid on Havana to rescue his crew is part of the "Bartolomeu" storyline, part of a side quest in "Tales of a Sea Hawk", and mentioned in "Assassin". The blighter gets everywhere!

I noticed he had his own sword. The thing is, being a decent sort, I don't rob my friends, and anyway I have a pretty decent sword of my own. So I don't steal Bartolomeu's sword if I'm helping him. And if I've chosen to kill him, the "Assassin" storyline is pretty well over anyway - report back to Havana, get rewarded, you're free from service to the vice admiral, end of story.

But yes, in the "Assassin" storyline, it would be easy enough to change a few lines of dialogue so that Bartolomeu arrested somebody else - the only purpose of that bit of background is that Parsons, being a former shipmate of the arrested pirate, is willing to help you in the hunt for Bartolomeu. (When was "Seadogs" set? Nicholas Sharp is Nathaniel Hawk's predecessor and might have been around at about the right time...)

Originally, the Bartolomeu sidequest in the Standard storyline was the second fully custom sidequest we added.
Then Bartolomeu decided to make a fully new main quest of his own, making that also the first unique storyline.
Much later, the Standard storyline starting date was changed to a later period. This was well after Bartolomeu added the Nathaniel Hawk connection.
So that is how it came to be. But indeed it does not make much sense now.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: Any thoughts?

In "Tales of a Sea Hawk", one of the side quests is to help Bartolomeu o Portugues. By way of gratitude, according to Andrew Parsons during the "Assassin" storyline, Bartolomeu arrested Nathaniel Hawk.

Either of these is going to be a good trick. The "Bartolomeu" story starts in 1660 and the "Assassin" story starts in 1665, which isn't too bad. But "Tales of a Sea Hawk" starts in 1750, almost a century later! The original story in the stock game started in 1690, a bit closer but still late enough that while Hawk is doing his bit for Silehard, both Bartolomeu and Elting are probably either retired or dead. By comparison the real Henry Morgan started pirating in 1661 and died of ill health in 1688.

Perhaps Bartolomeu needs one of these. xD

no the tales of sea hawk in the stock game was 1630

You're right. The solution would be renaming Bartolomeu and using another character model and sword (I think he uses the bartolomeu' sword in the side-quest).

Agreed. I like that side quest. It would be a shame to lose that sword though. It looks so good in my collection.

It can still BE Bartolomeu's sword. Passed down from generation to generation or something.

Anyone up for the renaming? @Nightmare: Might be a good project for you.
Really simple and helps you familiarize yourself with the quest coding. :doff

Perhaps that side quest could have Bartolomeu's sword as a reward.

Edit: looks as though Pieter was having a similar idea at the same time as me. :D

It can still BE Bartolomeu's sword. Passed down from generation to generation or something.

Anyone up for the renaming? @Nightmare: Might be a good project for you.
Really simple and helps you familiarize yourself with the quest coding. :doff
Thanks Pieter you the best :) And yes guys I need help with my storyline so if you can help me that's fantastic! Just pm me or reply if you want to help

That's why I was thinking you could start with this project first.
It is easier to become familiar with the system while doing something simpler and it wouldn't get much simpler than renaming some characters. :cheeky

Look through the PROGRAM\Storyline\standard folder and search for "Bartolomeu". That should show you the code that needs changing.

Definitely! Allows the spirit of the original idea to remain, even if we do adjust it to make a bit more 'sense'. :onya

Back