• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Tips & Tricks for Playing the Game

I do believe this could use some further work. A lot doesn't display very nicely, does it?

Just have a look at it in the game and see what doesn't look nicely. Perhaps just removing some Enters would be good enough.
And I think we can remove that boarding code excerpt; I put that functionality on the F12 button by default so people won't need to edit any code files anymore.

Okay.. so in my opinion it looked quite good the way it was.. I now only added a Enter on each beginning, so the first tip is not right on the top. I removed the code for the console, but left the note with pressing F12 there.
And I added a note for the shotgun-mode ;)

Attachments

• about_build.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 302
Well, I think we can consider this "done" for now. We can always make further updates as more springs to mind.

I can't find the Tip and Tricks thread, so will post this here.

Many people have complained about the way your companion ships do not follow you well and are constantly crashing into each other. Well, there is a way to make them behave.

Let's say you have four ships. First you order the no.2 ship to defend the no.1 ship (you).

Then order the no.3 ship to defend the no.2 ship.

Then order the no.4 ship to defend the no.3 ship.

There will be some confusion while they sort themselves out but eventually they will all get more or less in line and stay there. They will also follow you into battle this way. Those of you who want to recreate the "ships of the line" type of battle can use this to do just that.

ship of the line battle.jpg ships in a line.jpg

Indeed that "Defend" command is quite useful! I've been using it to make companion ships follow me around. Otherwise they like to fall behind. :facepalm

I can't find the Tip and Tricks thread, so will post this here.
I just re-found it for you and moved your post here.
Also renamed it and stickied it for future use. :doff

Last edited:
For Beginners, the best advice I could recommend is to gather some crewmen on your ship and spend time on land for a bit getting your melee up. Nothing sucks more than being a level 10 with NO melee experience whatsoever.

However, note that when taking more crew ashore, you ALSO draw more unwanted attention.

Cheers Hylie,

just stumbled over this old thread and now I wonder ...

Find these officers as soon as you can. Rys Bloom, Baldewyn Coffier, Lucas Saldhana, Artois Voisey, Fred Bob. They are horses who can carry you through most situations. But most of them need help and protection until they build themselves up.

... what's so special about them and what do you mean with that they can carry me through most situations. I remember I had them once and didn't find them especially useful ... than again, you wouldn't say that without good reason.

Personally, I never really liked these quest linked characters because they don't respond to some orders like "sit out the next boarding", which brings them in unnecessary dangers ...

Oh, and where is Fred Bob? Can't remember him at all.

Those officers are useful because they are very strong. While most of them start off with no skills their very high HP makes them good fighters early on and as they advance and get skills they just get better. They are also very cheap.

Artois Voisey makes a good Captain, and Fred Bob is a great fighter. You can find him on Martinique by talking to Orable Caron. The others are good all around officers.

I can't seem to find a sextant. Compasses and spyglasses aplenty but still no damn sextants. Makes navigation nigh-on impossible unless you stop at every other colony to figure out where you are.

It sounds like you have not gotten too far into the game yet. The sextant will appear soon, but until then study the map carefully and go from island to island. Eventually even going from Havana to Sao jorge will work out ok.

It sounds like you have not gotten too far into the game yet. The sextant will appear soon, but until then study the map carefully and go from island to island. Eventually even going from Havana to Sao jorge will work out ok.

Another question, if you'd be so kind as to enlighten me. Do I have to limit myself to Island hopping or can I cross the big blue divide and sail right from the Spanish main all the way up to Hispaniola? I've always wondered if it was possible.

Indeed it is possible. It is also possible to miss islands completely and sail right off the map! :keith

What realism level are you playing at?

In Arcade mode the ships are very fast and the islands are close together.

In realistic mode the ships are slower and the wind affects them strongly, and the islands are close together.

The Open Sea mod moves the islands apart to realistic distances. It takes almost a month to sail a cargo ship between the two farthest apart ports. With luck! Without luck you can time out and fail the merchant mission.

In Iron Man mode the World Map is disabled. This means all sailing is direct sail only.

I use the Open Sea mod and mostly use the World Map until I get a compass, then it is a matter of how much time do I want to spend sailing. The direct sailing in this game is pretty nice.:pirateraft

Indeed it is possible. It is also possible to miss islands completely and sail right off the map! :keith

What realism level are you playing at?

In Arcade mode the ships are very fast and the islands are close together.

In realistic mode the ships are slower and the wind affects them strongly, and the islands are close together.

The Open Sea mod moves the islands apart to realistic distances. It takes almost a month to sail a cargo ship between the two farthest apart ports. With luck! Without luck you can time out and fail the merchant mission.

In Iron Man mode the World Map is disabled. This means all sailing is direct sail only.

I use the Open Sea mod and mostly use the World Map until I get a compass, then it is a matter of how much time do I want to spend sailing. The direct sailing in this game is pretty nice.:pirateraft

Never heard of the Open Sea mod, I play on Iron Man mode and usually buy a compass straight away as it's basically required to do any cargo missions.

Back