• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Tips & Tricks for Playing the Game

In POTC--->program--->internalsettings.h in the section at the top, it is the first line under "included in Iron Man mode". Set that to "1" to enable the world map and move the islands far apart. It then might take a week game time to sail between two close islands in direct sail and it is possible to miss an island completely.

I can't say if you will like it or not, but it is the most realistic mode, especially if you choose not to use the world map.

In POTC--->program--->internalsettings.h in the section at the top, it is the first line under "included in Iron Man mode". Set that to "1" to enable the world map and move the islands far apart. It then might take a week game time to sail between two close islands in direct sail and it is possible to miss an island completely.

I can't say if you will like it or not, but it is the most realistic mode, especially if you choose not to use the world map.

I seem to be enjoying it, just moved a hold of Sugar from Havana to San Juan using only a compass, a map of the Caribbean and some guess work. Not to mention the tension of finding ships along the way and having to identify them and scaring myself by confusing Spanish flags for pirate flags.

As a side note; I found a sextant yet it doesn't display my location on the map like you said it would? I tried equipping it but no dice. Forgot to mention the fact that I've been pouring over the captain's log the entire journey, noting down every minute detail just to add to the immersion.

EDIT : Sorry for de-railing this thread entirely, just felt like saying my piece.

The basic clock and compass do not allow you to see your location on the map. You need the chronometer and normal or enhanced compass as well as the sextant.

This is the tip & tricks thread so chat away. :cheers

Open Sea Mod is always enabled in Iron Man Mode.
You might want to consider using Realistic Game Mode with a couple of those extra realism options that Hylie mentioned switched on.

And like Hylie says, you need a Sextant AND a Chronometer.

Open Sea Mod is always enabled in Iron Man Mode.
You might want to consider using Realistic Game Mode with a couple of those extra realism options that Hylie mentioned switched on.

And like Hylie says, you need a Sextant AND a Chronometer.

Sounds like a plan, can't stress enough how good this modding community is. I thought I was at the pinnacle with Gentlemen of Fortune, but New horizons has surpassed it ten times over. Mainly due to the direct sail feature.

We've spent quite a few more years on New Horizons, since we started on that in 2003. :cheeky

As a native English speaker and decent writer, if there are files like this "tips and tricks", or dialogues that could use editing I can do my best to add some input, University permitting of course, if people point me in the right direction.

You'd be welcome to improve whatever you can.
The Tips & Tricks are found in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\about_build.txt

Dialogues are to be found in either "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH" or "PROGRAM\Storyline\<name of story>\dialogs\ENGLISH". Routine dialogues are in the former, as are some to do with the standard storyline; story-specific dialogues are in the latter.

Searching the forums for help on how to active a port attack.. please help
You want to attack a town? Just attack the fort.
If the town doesn't have a fort, you need the Ability for it and then select "Land Troops" in 3D sailing mode while flying a flag hostile to that town.

I don't remember trying. Not sure if anyone did after Armada updated the Nevis island model.
The Fort is indeed pretty high up; try aiming from a distance and perhaps use cannons with a longer range.

One last question I came along playing as their was not a tutorial on the buildings you can create. I have made forests, distilleries, armory, mines, and stores... But, you don't get anything from them? I get cash everyday but no materials, am I missing a building?

Thanks again for putting up with my questions!

One thing I did notice when playing... I have changing relations on, and there are multiple times where everyone is in an alliance. Now I can see the countries putting away their issues for a while, but they even created alliances with the Pirates.

Talking to your building owners offers all sorts of options.
Some give you money, some items and some just show you're a nice guy and improve your reputation.

Especially after you've gone away for a few days, they should have been able to get some work done and might have some interesting stuff you can use.

I've been trying out several new games to see what is my problem with it.. and I figured my main one is the low max HP issue where my character dies within one hit while I am level 1 - 25.

So I explored this issue more in detail and I saw that when I board a ship, (I have 510 crew and enemy has 75 only), the enemy wipes my whole crew in the start of boarding.. and 90% of the time in cargo & gun decks.

Does power of the crew have something to do with the level of boatswain I hired?

Does power of the crew have something to do with the level of boatswain I hired?
It is mainly related to:
- Difficulty level
- Number of crew you have compared to number the enemy has
- Crew morale

That is really strange. I start a game by avoiding fighting until I get good weapons and then pick and choose when and where to fight so I do not die. By level 17 I almost never die.

The crew always gets wiped out in the first 1-2 boardings, but after that they should do very well. Are you equipping them with lots of excellent quality weapons? A worn cutlass is no match for an excellent Bosuns Choice cutlass.

Oh man 510<75 huh? If there's only a way to spawn new AI's when the crew gets killed to 'somehow' satisfy the number (e.g. The ship with 510 crew should have up to 5-8 spawns while the one with the 75 will only have like a maximum of 3 spawns) 'cause that really doesn't make a lot of sense. :sparrow

An excellent, high level and well equipped captain can maybe take out 5-10 crew at a time but 510 vs 75 and the 75 win? Escape maybe but not win, they should be clearly outnumbered. :pirates

Anyway, @A.H to what we have now I say you follow what Sire Hylie Pistof suggests. You can also put bandages and alike plus armors if you can spare some in crew's weaponslocker. Also train officers, equip them with the best blades and guns you can find. They're of big help during boardings. ;)

Oh man 510<75 huh? If there's only a way to spawn new AI's when the crew gets killed to 'somehow' satisfy the number (e.g. The ship with 510 crew should have up to 5-8 spawns while the one with the 75 will only have like a maximum of 3 spawns) 'cause that really doesn't make a lot of sense. :sparrow
Lots of work. Also, boardings would take forever if you actually have to fight ALL crew.
So.... Nope, not going to do that.... :wp

Back