• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

To the experienced players... how do you begin a new game? h

TwoWinds

Powder Monkey
I'm curious how you experienced players start your game. Im wanting to play a game thats based around treasure hunting and some trading or maybe piracy. I've tried doing this several times in the past and maybe this is where my failing is but I've been following a suggested routine that I found online a long while back for starting out in POTC. Maybe this doesn't apply now or maybe it still does but I'm finding the beginnings of the game take forever because of how I'm going about it based on this routine I found online and I tend to loose interest and stop playing.

So the site I found a long time back said that to start out in the game you should immediately go to the tavern and hire all your officers (so a TON of in and out of the tavern hiring officers finding just the right ones) the premise was that if you did it right away that when you hired your officers they would be the lowest lvl and not cost you huge amounts of $$ in monthly crew fees. plus another part of the time involved in all the hiring is the haggling to get their price down. Can't get around that I'm ok with that. But how do you all start out on a new game? Is this info I got even accurate? I would spend hours going through officers trying to get good officers early on. Are there benefits to this approach or does it matter?

Thanks
Adam

Not sure where you got your info, but if it wasn't from this site, there is a large chance it related to the unmodded game.
I wouldn't put too much stock in any such recommendations, because this game is no longer the same.

You will have plenty of time to get officers later, so I see no reason to load up on them early on. All you really need for the early game is a fighter, a navigator, and a gunner.

I go get Artois Voisey early as he is a decent navigator, Rys Bloom makes a good all around officer, and gunners can be found in taverns everywhere. Since I am always poor early on I try to save money by not hiring more than I absolutely need.

ok but the reasoning in the walkthrough i read before was that as you progress in the game and in lvl the monthly rates of the officers keeps going up. and by hiring them all when your at lvl 1 or 2 you lock in really low monthly rates? is this not the case?

Thanks for the info on the men you mentioned ill look for them

Peter you are probably right. the walkthrough I found was years ago. more than likely was for the original game

Yes it is true that officers hired early are cheaper, and it is also true that they advance quickly at first and then progressively slow down, but hiring them anywhere before level 5 or so works out about the same. And also, as they advance their pay goes up as well so they end up costing a load of money. But by then you are filthy rich anyway so the monthly payroll is a pittance in the grand scheme of things. I personally prefer hiring officers in the level 5-10 range.

one thing I'm curious about a few years ago I ran into a problem where when I was searching for a treasure and I found the spot and would try and click it to access the treasure but it would keep disapearing. and later I read somewhere that it was a bug that might have been because of having the no gun powder or bullets needed turned on. This sound right? Was that ever fixed?

heres a link to my orginial post regarding it.... like i said it was several years ago.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/treasure-quests.7655/page-10#post-390605

Last edited:
There was indeed a very annoying bug with opening treasure chests.
I could never figure out why, so I completely rewrote the underlying system over a year ago.
That issue should bother nobody again.

Good to hear Pieter that's great thanks to you both for the quick replies too

Last edited:
Here's how to get a good start:

Get to St. Pierre, Martinique as soon as possible. Talk to Milon Blacque, which initiates the "Saga of the Blacque Family" side quest and opens up dialog options for Orable Caron. Talk to him next, pay him the 1 gold and get all the information you can out of him. Then go to see port master Turpin Cabanel and offer to find the smugglers for 5000 gold.

Go through the passage to the beach and talk to Fred Bob, initiating the "Help the Boatswain" side quest. Then make your way to the main town square, talk to Patric Cardon, and do his side quest. When you talk to Harduin Aufort, finish off Patric Cardone's side quest and also talk about Fred Bob.

In the tavern, talk to Thierry Bosquet, pay his bar tab and let him laugh in your face. Now go back to Fred Bob and hire him. Also, by now you should have visited Raoul Calmes and "persuaded" him to give you a letter, which you can take back to Turpin Cabanel and collect the money for helping with the smugglers. Then head for the gate to the jungle, where Thierry Bosquet gets to laugh at you again because he hasn't realised that you've got help. Your sidekick beats up his sidekick, you can take out Thierry yourself, then be sure to loot the sidekick's body because he has a very nice sword. Visit the blacksmith and spend a little of your hard-earned cash getting that sword polished up.

Net result: 3,000 from Patric Cardone plus 5,000 from Turpin Cabanel, less minor expenses. An awesome sidekick and an awesome sword. All from wandering around one town.

Impressive! Of course that has me wondering if that isn't a bit too much of an exploit and perhaps part of that should be given a player level restriction....

Huh! I usually don't go there until later in the game and don't do those things. I get a great sword at Kralendijk early on and collect officers like Rys Bloom and Artois Voisey by sailing around the islands.

The sword at Kralendijk requires you to have raised your reputation a notch or two. However, if you're willing to try your chances with whatever sword you already have, there's a decent weapon to be found in the Port Royale dungeon - not as nice as the swords from Thierry Bosquet's accomplice or from Kralendijk, but it does have the advantage of being close by when you're collecting Rys Bloom.

I have an easier time raising my reputation than killing a dozen people so I usually end up with that sword at Kralendijk. Besides, in all time periods except Early Explorers the Dutch soldiers have the best swords so I am there to harvest swords for my officers anyway. In Early Explorers the French soldiers have the best swords, so I spend time at their colonies early on. Gotta remember to visit that Thierry Bosquet some time.

I have an easier time raising my reputation than killing a dozen people so I usually end up with that sword at Kralendijk. Besides, in all time periods except Early Explorers the Dutch soldiers have the best swords so I am there to harvest swords for my officers anyway.
How are you getting away with that one now?

The same way I always have. Ether bottle, poisoned throwing knife, cobblestone, even the sandbag works.

The same way I always have. Ether bottle, poisoned throwing knife, cobblestone, even the sandbag works.
And the soldiers never notice you're doing all that? While they shouldn't always notice, occasionally at least they should be paying attention. :confused:

Since you locked me in that arena with a gazillion soldiers all I do is die and then start over.

Since you locked me in that arena with a gazillion soldiers all I do is die and then start over.
Ah, the old "try and reload until you succeed" trick, eh? That is one exploit I don't think we can ever truly avoid.
Of course the intention is that you are deterred from doing such foolhardy things, but I think in this case the saying of "the fox, the hair and the tricks" applies. :cheeky

At least if you do get into trouble for trying, then the system at least works.
Of course if you have any suggestions for improving that system, I'm all ears.

Back