• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Too easy to make money now

If it's too easy to make money now but wasn't in the past, the question then becomes: what has changed in later versions to make it so easy, and can we put it back the way it was?

Something which occurred to me while playing "Hornblower", where I got to the part where you're decommissioned and your crew money is set to 100 (you have no ship's money any more because you have no ship) and I laughed because I'd just dumped the whole lot into the Bridgetown loanshark before reporting to navy HQ:

Money from selling captured ships, i.e. prize money, should perhaps be reduced and then go into your personal money, not your crew money. In reality the ship would be disposed of by an admiralty court, then you, your officers and crew would get shares of the prize money as a welcome supplement to your salaries. In game the reduced percentage of ship value which you get for selling the ship represents the government getting its cut, the shipyard getting its cut, then you and your crew getting your cut. Would it be possible to then do a division of plunder with the proceeds from the sale, regardless of how you're paying the crew normally? This would apply to both naval and privateer characters. It would probably be easier to apply it to pirates as well, therefore to everyone.

If it's too easy to make money now but wasn't in the past, the question then becomes: what has changed in later versions to make it so easy, and can we put it back the way it was?
I haven't got a clue and I wished somebody could tell me.
Only thing I can think of is increased profits from smuggling and perhaps fetch quests. Or this new mod-added sword still messing up the balancing.

Money from selling captured ships, i.e. prize money, should perhaps be reduced and then go into your personal money, not your crew money. In reality the ship would be disposed of by an admiralty court, then you, your officers and crew would get shares of the prize money as a welcome supplement to your salaries. In game the reduced percentage of ship value which you get for selling the ship represents the government getting its cut, the shipyard getting its cut, then you and your crew getting your cut. Would it be possible to then do a division of plunder with the proceeds from the sale, regardless of how you're paying the crew normally? This would apply to both naval and privateer characters. It would probably be easier to apply it to pirates as well, therefore to everyone.
Something like that does indeed sound pretty cool. But it would require some substantial figuring out and reworking of existing code.
Plenty work left to do, I suppose! :facepalm

something i noticed is that even though turk is a pirate island it still has contraband. but being a pirate island you can sail in with a hold full og said contraband and go and sell it in the shop for the full smuggler price. since one of it's contraband items is ebony which is an export item in tortuga. and one of it's export items is silk which is contraband for hispanola were tortuga is you can make stupid amounts of money in next to no time by shuttling back n forth between them. atleast in the black flag quest line anyway.

Turks isn't always a pirate island. But perhaps indeed contraband should be disabled while it is.

I wasn't aware that you can sell contraband at pirate traders for contraband prices without having the Trustworthy perk?
Though they would be treated like any other trader. :modding

I believe that it used to be very easy to make huge amounts of money because POTC was originally a short arcade game, so making a lot of money fast was desirable. Now the storylines last longer and we advance slower so we have been cutting down on the profit margins to make the game more interesting in the later stages with high rank. This is just continuing that trend.

A lot has been changed in the game recently. Is this still a problem?

Can somebody say something about this in the most recent game version?
The reduced pay from privateers and navy officers should make a difference, no?

I think the money is more balanced already indeed. But I still need to do a good playtrough to know for sure.

Back