• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Trade Goods

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I have been looking through some things and here is a list of goods that we could add.

Potatos
Fish
Dyes
Hemp
Pottery
millet
Hardware AKA Tools.
Cocoa
fine crystal
yellow amber
ivory
skins
gold dust
paper
iron bars
spice

Here are some sites that i have been looking at.
Bead DataBase
Black Studies
British History

I have been looking through some things and here is a list of goods that we could add.

Fish
Dyes
Hemp
Pottery
Hardware AKA Tools.
Cocoa
skins
paper
iron bars
spice

Here are some sites that i have been looking at.
Bead DataBase
Black Studies
British History

hehehe, great minds think alike...
I have already added to the trade mod I am working on:
Fish
Dyes
Hemp
Pottery
Hardware AKA Tools
ivory
skins
paper
iron bars

I am running into a problem tho...is that i am running out of room in goods.tga.tx for the icons.
I think i may have room for 2 more.
I may be able to shrink the size of all the icons, but i dont know if that would reflect in the size of the icons in the game.

Also in my mod, I am redoing all the settlement imports/exports, based on historical data. Also, slaves will no longer be contraband, as is in OP's mod.
All of these items that you have mentioned are great...How would u feel if I add these items as well?

(FB: EDIT Instead of Potatoes, I have thought of just adding 'Vegetables" Also, would "Cocoa" not be Chocolate, and Paprika being "Spice"?)

I think iteam's and trade goods should remain seperate.

There should be somewhere in the file the ablity to make more room for goods. I don't know where though it could be in a another file or perhaps more than one file. :shrug

I have been changing the weights of the goods because gold should be heavier than brick as should silver. This in its self makes trading far too easy to get rich, increasing the weight of goods will lower how quick you make a furtune.

man, we must some sort of vulcan mind meld going on, I was just doing that this morning. I mean, they have gold weighing just as much cotton... :S

I think i may have figured it out in regards to the goods.tga.tx the trade goods point to that image. If i make a goods2.tga.tx and have the new goods point to that image, it should work out...i hope

what do you mean by "I think iteam's and trade goods should remain seperate."?

LOL, well when i looked i was checking the weight of the slaves out and thinking the Whydah built to carry slaves could only carry 700 but in COAS if a ship has 1000 cargo space free then you can carry 1000 slaves. Not realistic. Gold and silver was a quick way to make alot of money fast when your trade skill was high enough. With increased value's that becomes much harder in that you can't carry as much gold or silver now. The necxt thing i need to do is make sure the weight of cannons is right, in CMV3 cargoholds was reduced to make it togher to make so much money and to make trade ships early on more of a must have and not just something else to attack. Also by increasing the weight of cannons will reduce cargo space which means you will be more intent on using lower calibures to boost cargo space as would have been the case in real life. I still need to test all the new weights but at the moment my character isn't skilled enough, thanks to Ashley it doesn't require a new game either. :will

Hope it works for you. :onya

wow dude, you sure are putting a lot of thought into this. Very impressive. A realism mod i think we've got going between the 2 of us. Bloody good show mate

Thanks Fb. :onya

I'm one who likes things done right, in port royal 2 you alway's wished you could carry more goods in COAS its not like that. You load up and most likely buy all the stock from the store before you fill your cargohold. I've fixed the cannons weight and need to start testing it all now. :will

Thanks Fb. :onya

You load up and most likely buy all the stock from the store before you fill your cargohold. I've fixed the cannons weight and need to start testing it all now. :will

Most excellent! I've always hated that. It kinda makes trade routes obsolet..tho, it also does force you to trade on another part of the map...My problem was that trading with 5 vessels all will a cargo hold of 5000 or more, the map quickly lost tradable goods....all of them...lol

Well here's an example of what i have done. Culverines weight is 5 higher than the cannons so the 4Ibs culverines weight is say 10 the 4Ibs cannons weight is 5. The next thing i did was increase the weight of the goods, rum and other goods in barrals weigh 10 including oil and gun powder. Food weight has been increased weapons. In fact almost every single good type has had its weight increased. Slaves weigh 50 gold weigh 40 and silver weighs 30. Brick weighs 10, these are the weights i'm using and it has drastically reduced the amount of goods you can load into a ship. Every shot type weighs more now too, in real life the shot types was heavy and so is the case now. I think in terms of COAS the developers was thinking not just how much the goods weigh but how much room they took up which is why so low value's. The down side was ships could empty a town of all tradable goods which would only have happened to towns that was producing very little or had a large trading fleet stop bye.

Hmmm...while i was at work today, something occured to me...what is a "CWT"? (the unit of measurement in COAS)

It turns out to be 100 pounds...

We may have been over thinking things...lol

so 1 cwt = 100lbss

then 10cwt = 1000lbs

100cwt = 10,000lbs

that means that the ship with a cargo hold of 5000 cwt could hold 500,000lbs?! That sounds a little far fetched to me...but it might be possible...
It may be that the cargo holds of vessels need to be adjusted, not the goods themselves...what do you think?

I don't think you can read too much into that since here's the line of code from the Tartan.

Code:
refShip.Weight				= Tonnes2CWT(10);

The the Lugger.

Code:
refShip.Weight			= Tonnes2CWT(150);

I could go on but its clear to see from just those two ships that the cwt is nothing specail in COAS, its the final value that counts. Ok one more.

Code:
refShip.Weight 				= Tonnes2CWT(4500);

Thats the quest Soleil Royal. :onya

I have made a few more changs to the weights of goods and cannons, i lowered the small calibures and also lowered a few of the goods value's based on what i found in testing and that was ships not been able to mount all there allicated guns and carry much cargo. The normal everyday supplies was taking up more room than i expecxted. I have reduced food consumption so that less barrals will be needed again reducing the amount of weight taken up by food. I haven't changed the consumption of rum since you don't have to have it, although if i can find the consumption rates i will lower that too. :onya

hmm...so the dev's really screwed with preception here...well, good job for picking up on that dood

Yep it seems that way. Perhaps the buy and sell prices are effectyed by cwt not sure about that but from what i can see its all messed up. The reason for that is cannons weigh far more than goods yet adjusting the trade multiplier had no effect on them. :shrug

oh boy...have i ever opened a hornets nest
I've been browsing British History Online and have found dozens of trade goods. Now i run into a problem...how far should i go with this?
Trade Goods like:
Ginger
Nutmeg
Peppercorn
Gin
Brandy
Almonds
flax
basil
bay leaf
Lead
Soap
thread (may use textiles to cover a wide range of 'clothing stuff'
snuff
vinegar

And that is just a very short list.....I havent even begun to look through all of it. I guess my question is...where should I stop?

Hahaha, and just think thats British, goods There's Spanish, Dutch and French who will have some other's. The one thing is pick out ones for example soap exported by English but not by any other nation. That could then become a good the English export in COAs with all other nations having to import it. I'm sure many towns needed to import most of there goods i know English had to and still very much do today.

Well, you said only had room for four more items, so pick four things, put em in there and you got yourself a completed mod. If there is a chance that you can reuse some of the current item pictures for new items, then do that too.

Hahaha, and just think thats British, goods There's Spanish, Dutch and French who will have some other's. The one thing is pick out ones for example soap exported by English but not by any other nation. That could then become a good the English export in COAs with all other nations having to import it. I'm sure many towns needed to import most of there goods i know English had to and still very much do today.

hahaha, ya, i know there's still 3 other nations to think about (where are the portugese i wonder?) Through my research just in the goods that we have now, i've noticed that most of these colonies imported more than they exported. I think that will have to reflect the next adjustment i make to the islands.

Well, you said only had room for four more items, so pick four things, put em in there and you got yourself a completed mod. If there is a chance that you can reuse some of the current item pictures for new items, then do that too.

I think the only custom icons that i would have to make is the one for soap. The rest I could reuse. After this short list, i dont think i will be adding any more goods, i don't want things to get rediculous...
Then the trade mod will be finished, and i can move on to learn other things

Good Job on this Firebat! One of my favorite things to do is just go back and forth trading and fighting off or running from the ships I run into. This adds a huge dimension to the trading aspect of the game and I can hardly wait until I can play this in CMV3. Nice work Mate!

MK

Good Job on this Firebat! One of my favorite things to do is just go back and forth trading and fighting off or running from the ships I run into. This adds a huge dimension to the trading aspect of the game and I can hardly wait until I can play this in CMV3. Nice work Mate!

MK
Thanks matey!

Back