1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Ubisoft Announces Skull and Bones, a new Pirate Game

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Armada, Jun 12, 2017.

• by Armada, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM
  • Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    At their E3 press conference earlier today, Ubisoft announced a new pirate game titled Skull and Bones. The game is being developed by Ubisoft Singapore, the studio behind the naval systems in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, which seems to have been a major influence on the design of Skull and Bones. It takes place in the Indian Ocean in 1721, where you take command of your own ship and can sail around an open, connected world by yourself or as part of a "gang" of pirates with other players, fighting and looting other ships as you go.

A preview of multiplayer gameplay was shown at the conference, which you can watch below:

Here's a behind-the-scenes video from the development team explaining more about the game:

The game is scheduled to launch in late 2018 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
    You can find out more about it here: Skull and Bones

It looks like Ubisoft finally heard the fans' cries for a dedicated pirate game. What do you think of Skull and Bones?

pirateking and Blackjack like this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Armada, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ambrois LeGaillard
    A game that disgust me.

First, all these details will go only with a super-puter;
    Second, unrealistic at all;
    Third, multiplayer (I like single player);
    Fourth, a sort of Disneyland-of-pirates made for the middle fat teen filled of money (the mass of buyers)

Erased from my head 2 seconds after have closed the first video. Let the fat boys spend their dollars, I have other interests.
    Pieter Boelen likes this.
  2. Captain Murphy
    Well, speaking from the experience of trying to promote Tides of War (which is pretty much NOT all of those complaints) the market for a realistic based ship combat game is reaaaaaaally tiny. I fully understand their targeting of a non-realistic design, as it just isn't profitable otherwise.
  3. Pieter Boelen
    I honestly don't understand why it is so difficult to have realism settings.
    Even stock PotC had that to some extent.
    Surely it can't be that crazy difficult?
  4. Captain Murphy
    The problem would be the adjustment of the mechanics for each 'level' that has to be programmed in. Each adjustment and balance has to be tested by QA, and then approved by the end testers too. That takes a game with a QA budget of 10% to over 30% without really adding anything new to the game that would increase sales. If 1 million people were going to buy it with just one set of mechanics and adding several more nets them, say, 10% more sales? It isn't worth the budget costs to do it. Again, we are in that same situation with ToW in that every mechanic change costs a lot of time in debugging, QA, and testing.
  5. Pieter Boelen
    Good thing you guys actually care about quality over quantity! :bow
  6. Captain Murphy
    That is sorta the reason we have not prioritized development of ToW. It is really expensive to develop and the return is not going to be great on it. So we just don't have the motivation to really work on it due to smaller marketability and audience reach. We care enough about the end result that we want, that we won't compromise is with a shoddy product or arcade based shell of it's former self.
  7. Armada
    That works for single-player games, but not for multiplayer games. When players are competing against each other, they can't each have different realism settings or things would be unbalanced. To maintain balance and have different settings, you'd need to split the player base into groups, but as Captain Murphy said, that would take more time to develop and test. And if your player base is small to begin with, splitting them up isn't a good idea.

The closest analogy I can think of is that some shooters have a "hardcore" mode that removes most of the HUD and vastly reduces player health, but it's often hard to rebalance all the guns to account for the change in health. The big-budget developers with massive fan bases can afford to do this, but smaller teams would struggle.
  8. Pieter Boelen
    Fair points, all of it.

Truth be told, I do understand it. And I'm hardly the world's biggest pusher for realism in these sort of games anyway.
    I've already got real life for my fix of actual realism. ;)

But of course none of that means I have to agree with the wisdom of fully unrealistic mayhem.
    Armada likes this.