• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

umm, what? *spoilers, i guess*

soundcreepy

Landlubber
I have noticed that for some strange reason Hawks storyline does not progress correctly for me at times. (could be me though) Im never sure what difficulty to go with, but since I die easily I go with easy and what class (?) but since I haven't found out what those mean I go with the default Merchant. I normally pick the last option in the beginning where your boat gets washed on shore so I go exploring from there. Now sometimes I get killed by bandits and then the "angel" saves me, and I end up in that house where the woman tells me where I am and that my boat is still there, just damaged. (execpt one time where I went downstairs in the pub and a crazy French woman keep killing me) Sometimes I get killed and no "angel." (so i play for 5 minutes and die) Other times I don't encounter anyone and really have no idea what to do....

Is it supposed to be this random? I love the randomness don't get me wrong, but I was hoping to have a better grip on the game before it started screwing with me :eek:k

Is there a "beginner" storyline perhaps that I could play to "retrain" my mind. Played the original POTC a while back, but forgot everything by now, and wouldn't want to go back to vanilla after this mod anyways.

I think I would start to get the hang of it, :keith if I could get past the first 30 minutes of the story, lol :ko

If there IS a "beginner" storyline, it is the one you're currently trying to play. This is the one that has the tutorial at the beginning to explain things (adapted a bit to explain some Build 14 features too).
However, if you choose the Stormy Start option though, you skip all that and instead get a random start that is deliberately harder than the start would regularly be.

The Stormy Start option does randomize the beginning of the story and it allows you full free play until for whatever reason you end up near the waters around Barbados.
Once you do that, the original game's story of the French invasion is triggered, and from there on you can continue with the regular story.
The following walkthrough might help you if you get stuck or are not sure what to do: http://www.piratewiki.net/index.php?title=Original_Story_-_New_Horizons_Quests
Of course you are free to deviate from the story and ignore it where you want; in most instances, there are no time limits and you can continue where you left of once you feel like it again.

Being resurrected on being killed is a deliberate option, but there is the chance that you die for real. Every time you are resurrected though, you lose some of the stuff you had before, so it's best to avoid it.

The class choice (Merchant, eg.) defines which of your skills you will develop more quickly than others. As a merchant, for example, you will more quickly gain experience in trading.
This is a part of the Auto Skill System that makes your skills go up as you use them, rather than being manually assigned by yourself after each level-up.

I hope this helps you get started. :doff

actually that does help greatly thank you! :dance :woot may try to play Hawk's "tutorial" to get a better grip on things

thanks again :cheers

Yes, you were making things too hard on yourself. Don't use "easy" because it is too easy and don't use "swashbuckler" because it is too hard. And do use the tutorial. That will send you off in style. :cheers

Because the Standard storyline is intended now as a "getting started" story, the default difficulty for that one is set to "Beginner".
All other storylines are set to be more difficult, though of course the player can always override the default.

Back