• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help undiscovered fast travel locations suddenly visitable

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
It used to be I would need to talk to townsfolk or discover fast travel locations before I could go to them in towns.

However, now it seems I always have them available even without talking to someone (at least in the first town).

I am not sure why, I have done 2 things:

-installed latest patch (but I don't think that could cause it)

-turned to arcade mode to test tavern hires (but I turned it back to realistic, and started a new game, many new games in fact, all on realistic mode. My options file is same as the old version, even checked with winmerge and a backup).

My internal setting hasn't changed either, still:
#define DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL 1 // BOOL - 0=OFF - Town locations must be discovered by finding them manually before you can use Fast Travel

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I can't imagine what is causing this, or how to fix it.

Last edited:
If you start a new game with the settings "wrong", then the Arcade style "no need to discover" logic has already intialized.
Probably a new game needed and then it should behave itself.

That's the odd thing: I have started over many times with realistic mode on (only had arcade on for a brief moment to test, and I didn't keep any saved games). And the other elements are correct (for example, can't fast travel at sea).

@Pieter Boelen
To be sure, just started in ironman, no world map can be accessed, but still, instant fast travel within towns. I am going to try searching through my files and see what I could have messed up...

Hmm, testing revealed it is only the initial town that is instantly discovered. All other towns you have to discover the locations. So maybe I didn't do anything weird to my game.

I really do think this is a change from before, as I think I remember having to discover locations even for the first town.

I wonder if something slipped in to other updates causing this? I will open a bugtracker entry.

Actually, during my realism start in freeplay in the July 28th 4.1 Beta wip, I distinctly remember I couldn't fast travel to the places in speightstown. That beginning section actually was super frustrating because I was running around town trying to find the shipwright when I stumbled into a dungeon somehow, and kept getting killed because my brand new charactor had no melee skills or bandages. :p

Ah. good times.

I'd test it, but now I'm terrified of how changing realism/arcade works.

If I open a new profile, go to realism, and accidentally forget to turn it off, it will effect my arcade save right? Say I forget to go back to arcade, will it mess with that save?

@Redbeard if you talk to the town npcs, and they are the kind that give you a choice of questions, you can ask them for directions and they will open up the fast travel locations.

As for spreightown dungeon, if you fall in again, just turn around right away and you can exit, you'll be swimming near the docks.

I think you do have to make sure it is set correctly before loading your save, but if you forgot, you ahould be able to switch midgame. I think the important thing is what the setting was when you either started the game, or last used F11 to reinitilize. If you change settings, make sure to press f11, same with installing (most) updates.

Thanks for your confirmation, it looks like something is now set to automatically open the starting town locations then. :)

Don't worry about switching settings too much, or messing up your save, as long as you switch back it shouldn't matter. The only thing that might get messed up is ship stats if you buy a new ship on the other settings.

Well it was a while back. I dont often talk to 'walkers' as I like to call them. I was also pretty new. Now I know what I'm doing. I'll start a new game on freeplay and see if my memory is correct.

You might want to reserve the term "walkers" for the guys with ransom dialogs (because their assigned file is called "Enc Walker").
The guys who give directions are regular "citizens".

Just to prevent potential misunderstand there. ;)

Haha! I was thinking of Sim City and Pharaoh. both call random citizens 'walkers' I had no idea the game refers to them in that fashion as well.

Back