• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unique Joinable Characters

migck

Landlubber
Officers hired at taverns have many dialogue options for managing them and you, none of which the officers you can get in the different quests have, only exception I noticed is Rys Bloom. Artois Voisey, Lucas da Saldhana, Claire Larrouse... they are cool to have around, and some of them have unique appearances, but their dialogue is or becomes fixed (Lucas always thanks you for rescuing him, Artois becomes silent, Gervasio says the same line he spoke when you first talk to him...), there is no option to fire them (I wouldn't want to fire any of them, but still...), and you need a regular officer for some things like building or changing the difficulty (though Rys Bloom does the job nicely).

It would be good for them, if it were possible, to have the regular officer lines after completing their mission. And maybe some way to train or specialize their skills and attributes (by the time I got Artois, I was a better navigator than him even without item buffs, and his tagged attributes did not include sailing. In fact, the only ones I found useful are Lucas and Joaquin de Masse, because they start at high level and health, have good combat skills, and so they can quickly be turned into gutting machines. And they look cool!) Speaking of Lucas, shouldn't he have a golden armor in his inventory by default?

Also, could there be some way to prevent them from dying? Not necessarily immortality like Danielle, but maybe dropping unconscious until the fight is over if their health falls too low.

And is there a list of these characters? I got a good load of them, but I've read about some I've never seen like Amerigo Vieira or Florens Clauss, and apparently Sabbine Matton (the daughter of Martinique's store owner) can become an officer though I don't know how. Oh, and Edgar seems to have a quest, is there a list of character quests if any? I only knew of Artois/Nigel.

Finally, I noticed that the officer's attributes or skills don't seem to apply too well unless your officer travels with you. I had this french guy named Baldewyn Coffier, my quartermaster, 10 in commerce and the advanced commerce perk. In the stores the price changed depending on whether or not he was accompanying me. I think it's the attributes since he had the "trusting lad" perk and I could sell contraband at the stores while he was at the ship, but I'm not sure. Also, isn't the gunner supposed to give full bonus to accuracy and cannons attributes? I had Edgar Atwood as gunner and he only contributed to melee, no accuracy or cannons. But gunner skills worked, and he keeps my musket loaded.

Dialogs are very true. The options could be added,
but requires someone to swap dialog filenames and currentnodes at various points in the storylines.
Or at least give them the regular officer dialog once their quest is over.

As for their skills, I agree some of them are pretty useless. Artois is notorious for that and Edgar Attwood isn't much better.
We could just go ahead and increase their stats completely, I reckon.
Or try to recode it so that once you hire them, their stats are reconfigured to sort-of match your player level.
I did something similar with the hirable Mr. Gibbs.

Maybe we COULD add some code to let quest characters be knocked out instead of dying.
That would save us a LOT of potential quest issues, except in spots where an officer dying should give a different response.

For hirable officer quests, have a look at our Wiki walkthroughs: http://piratewiki.net/index.php/Quests

The skill contribution sounds a bit messed up. We had changed the code so officers WOULDN'T need to follow you ashore anymore.
Is he the correct officer type? WAS he set as Quartermaster? Please check in your F2>Passengers interface what he skills display as.
The skills displayed there should be what he contributes based on his officer type.

Baldewyn Coffier - quartermaster. He displays the skills melee, repair, defense and commerce. Everything else is 0. In the passenger view menu, Nathaniel does appear with 10 commerce as a result of the skill contribution. But the prices do change in stores whether Baldewyn accompanies me or not. It could be the basic and advanced commerce perks the ones not working, but trusting lad does seem to work ok as i can sell contraband at the stores.

And is there a list of these characters? ............ I've read about some I've never seen like Amerigo Vieira or Florens Clauss,

Amerigo Vieira --- he is one of the targets in the Hard Labors of an Assassin Sidequest

Florens Clauss --- he is in the Nigel Blythe sidequest - you meet him near the end on Nevis I think.

:ixi

Baldewyn Coffier: Can you change his role from Quartermaster to something else and then back again?
I wonder if he's not contributing his skills like he should because ApplyOfficerTypeClass() and/or UpdateSkillModifiers()
is not being executed when you hire a quest officer. If that is the case, we'll need to add that in the hiring code for ALL hirable officers.

I should have thought of that sooner.
Changed his role and prices varied dramatically, all while he was at the ship. AFAIK commerce attribute has a much bigger impact on prices, Nathaniel's was 5, half of Baldewyn's. So its Baldewyn's basic and advanced commerce perks the ones not working while Baldewyn is waiting at the ship.

After you swapped the roles to something else and back to quartermaster,
did the prices in stores get better even with him still on the ship?
And, if so, did the prices get better STILL when you DID take him ashore?

As far as I can tell from the code, Baldewyn Coffier's commerce abilities SHOULD be taken into account even when he's only on the ship.
The only reason I can think of why he wouldn't contribute his skills if because during the hiring process, some code wasn't executed for him.
However, if you change his role from quartermaster to something else and back again,
this code should be executed for him and his skills and abilities should contribute properly.

Can you please do a bit more testing of the above? I'd like to know what's going on here and get it properly fixed. :facepalm

IF you want better stat and skill, you can edit in the officer init. Find them by name. You can change their attributes, rank, health and add perks. Though sadly, Artois Voisey's health can't be changed, it's coded.

Back