• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unlocks for Advanced Blocking and Toughness

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
I started a few new games and I have the same problem everywhere: I cant find this goddamn book for advanced blocking. And especially in the early game it is very important.

And then Toughness.. It is IMO not good that you need advanced blocking before. And also many don't know that the Highwaymen only give you this perk if you already have advanced blocking. This can get dangerous if you dont know. And it is pretty stupid that they only once are afraid of you.

So I'd ask if we can increase the book's chance to be avaible.

For Thoughness I had an idea yesterday: Is it possible to unlock the perk after you were hurt badly and recovered? For example, you board a ship, get damaged to lets say 25% HP and then when you are full HP again you unlocked it. Would make much more sense to me because how can anybody learn how to be tough? "Arr you always have to put your shoulders back arr" ? xD

I started a few new games and I have the same problem everywhere: I cant find this goddamn book for advanced blocking. And especially in the early game it is very important.

And then Toughness.. It is IMO not good that you need advanced blocking before. And also many don't know that the Highwaymen only give you this perk if you already have advanced blocking. This can get dangerous if you dont know. And it is pretty stupid that they only once are afraid of you.

So I'd ask if we can increase the book's chance to be avaible.

For Thoughness I had an idea yesterday: Is it possible to unlock the perk after you were hurt badly and recovered? For example, you board a ship, get damaged to lets say 25% HP and then when you are full HP again you unlocked it. Would make much more sense to me because how can anybody learn how to be tough? "Arr you always have to put your shoulders back arr" ? xD
Those books should show up in stores. Normally when I did a playtrough the first shop I visited had at least one of the books. But I could increase the rarity of the book a bit.

This determines how the bandits will give the perk:
Code:
if(CheckCharacterPerkLocked(Pchar, "Toughness"))
            {
                if(CalcCharacterSkill(PChar,SKILL_FENCING) >= 4)
                {
                    if(makeint(Pchar.Rank) >= 15)
                    {
                        //You don't need to pay
                        Diag.TempNode = "GetLost";
                        d.Text = DLG_TEXT[56];
                        Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[57];
                        Link.l1.go = "Exit_GetPerk";
                        Link.l2 = DLG_TEXT[58];
                        Link.l2.go = "Exit_RunFight";
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        //Check if you can pay
                        if(makeint(Pchar.money) > pricePerk)
                        {
                            d.Text = DLG_TEXT[56] + DLG_TEXT[59] + " " + pricePerk + " " + DLG_TEXT[60];
                            Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[57];
                            Link.l1.go = "Exit_GetPerkPay";
                            Link.l2 = DLG_TEXT[58];
                            Link.l2.go = "Exit_Fight";
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            dialog.snd1 = "";
                            dialog.snd2 = "";
                            dialog.snd3 = "";
                            d.Text = RandPhrase(DLG_TEXT[24], DLG_TEXT[25], DLG_TEXT[26], &dialog, dialog.snd1, dialog.snd2, dialog.snd3);
                            Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[27];
                            Link.l1.go = "Exit_Fight";   
                        }
                    }
                }
                else
                {
                    dialog.snd1 = "";
                    dialog.snd2 = "";
                    dialog.snd3 = "";
                    d.Text = RandPhrase(DLG_TEXT[24], DLG_TEXT[25], DLG_TEXT[26], &dialog, dialog.snd1, dialog.snd2, dialog.snd3);
                    Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[27];
                }
            }
            else
            {
                if(CalcCharacterSkill(PChar,SKILL_FENCING) >= 7 && makeint(Pchar.Rank) >= 10 && Makeint(PChar.reputation) <= 30) //Upped the rank a bit by Levis, used to be 8
                {
                    dialog.snd1 = "";
                    dialog.snd2 = "";
                    dialog.snd3 = "";
                    d.Text = RandPhrase(DLG_TEXT[15], DLG_TEXT[16], DLG_TEXT[17], &dialog, dialog.snd1, dialog.snd2, dialog.snd3);
                    Link.l1 = LinkRandPhrase(DLG_TEXT[18], DLG_TEXT[19], DLG_TEXT[20]);
                    Link.l1.go = "Exit_NoFight";
                    Link.l99 = LinkRandPhrase(DLG_TEXT[21], DLG_TEXT[22], DLG_TEXT[23]);
                    Link.l99.go = "Exit_RunFight";   
                }
                else
                {
                    dialog.snd1 = "";
                    dialog.snd2 = "";
                    dialog.snd3 = "";
                    Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[27];
                }
            }
So your requirements are:
Fencing needs to be larger then 4 - This should be easy to accomplice
If you are level 15 you can get it for free, else you need to pay for it.

about the defense perk being a requirement for toughness: Toughness is a pretty valuable perk and it gives you a large edge on other characters of the same level, so hence it shouldn't be easy to obtain...
We could change the unlocking to sleeping in a bed from a citizen. @Tingyun noticed their dialog talks to you about learning stuff about healing wounds, so that would actually fit. We could give the raiders another perk to unlock (suggestions?).

Well if you can find the book more easily then no problem if leaving the requirement, else remove it.

How about this: Toughness gets unlocked after sleeping at strangers (maybe be hurt as another requirement?) and the raiders can teach you critical hits, since this is something you can actually learn from them.

Last edited:
Back