• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unsure of how to properly install...

Redrick

Landlubber
Hey there folks,

Discovered the mod, and am looking forward to playing it, just unsure of how exactly to install it proper. I found several guides on the forum and the actual files themselves on how to install them, and I've tried different ways, but with no luck.

I guess I'm asking for an idiot proof installation guide. Whenever I try installing, I get the error that parts of the build are missing, even though they are in the same folder. So, I tried putting the EXE into the files themselves, and it says to remove the EXE from that folder to install.

So I am very confused. I have the POTC stock game installed, as well as the b14_beta3_installer.exe and the b14_beta3_full.7z that I extracted. I put both the EXE and the part 2 7z file/folder in the same folder.

thanks!

What exactly happens and what exactly are you trying?
It should be as simple as placing both files together in the same folder using their original filenames and then running the EXE installer.
If you do something else, the installer gives an error telling you why.

Stand by, trying a fresh install again. I take the EXE and put it in the same folder that contains the B14.7z extracted folder. When I install to the POTC stock game (not in Program Files) it says that some parts are missing, but it continues installing anyway. Trying to start a new game results in a black screen. Thanks for the quick reply!

Why are you extracting the 7zip file? No where in the instructions does it say to do that.

Did it give the following messages?
"Main Files archive file not present. Place 'b14_beta3_full.potc' in this folder to continue." - It will accept .7z as well
"Main Files archive not found. Skipping section."

The first message there tells you what the installer is looking for.

However, if that happens during a clean install on the original game, the next message should be:
"Build 14 Beta 3 Main Files not found. Make sure to install those first!"

Because a necessary step was skipped. The only reason why what you describe might happen is:
1. The installer cannot find the file it needs
and
2. You were installing on an already modded game that was older than Build 14 Beta 3

I really have to replace the ModDB main archive file with the .potc alternative some time.
Just to prevent people from bypassing the whole installation process. :facepalm

Not sure what I am doing wrong here... I was able to do it on my other computer with no problem.

have new game on desktop/pirates.. inserted the file build-14-beta-3-full into the folder

The installer build-14-beta-3-4-installer.. is out of the game folder as it tells you do so, once I try the install I get the same error as above.

Driving me nuts as I did the exact same thing on my other computer and worked fine.

*EDIT*
Well might as well share my fail so anyone else can try this before pulling their hair out..

On one computer I was able to have the zip in the game folder and then installer out of the folder.. on this computer both were in separate folder, and the key was run as admin.

Thought I would share

Last edited:
Le Sigh............

Why is it that nobody can figure out the instructions? :rumgone

This pic shows a good safe installation path. Most people will probably use the C drive instead of a D drive. POTC folder.jpg

This pic shows how the installers are in the same folder somewhere else. POTC installer folder.jpg I put them in the same place as all my other utilities like video and sound drivers, antivirus, etc.

It really is that simple.

Back