• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Updated Build 14.1 Installer progress

Mad Jack Wolfe

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Well, slap me thrice and hand me to my mama! After consolidating all the changes and additions you lot have made to the base game, it comes to an astonishing amount indeed.

10.5 gigabytes! No wonder the game has been transformed so completely. And wondrously well, I might add.

I definitely have my work cut out, eh? :cheers

Cheers, @Mad Jack Wolfe! :cheers

Thankfully, with some clever tricks, the download size is less than 3GB for the mod.
The EXE installer only contains the latest update, so the 2 GB archive doesn't need to be redone with every release.

I've got the new installer built, current with the August patch. Testing will happen over the next couple of days to catch any bugs.

I have a question regarding the naming convention for the Build itself: what format makes the most sense? "Build 14 v4.1, Patch: 11 August 2017", "Build 14.4.1 (11 August 2017)", some combination thereof, or something completely different?

Or perhaps "Build 14.1 Full/Final". ;) Note that there are some pretty big files in the post 7th January update archive, and the installer will need to accomodate those.

So "Build 14.1 Final (11 August 2017)" then? I like the idea of including the latest patch date. Then it's clear to all what the patch level is for troubleshooting.

I took the liberty of consolidating the file copy blocks within the script, then separating them for the sake of readability. It makes the script easier to maintain for myself and whoever picks it up after me.

The name of the tarball was left unchanged (b14_beta4_final.tar) since the contents are unchanged. That way we don't have to upload a renamed file and current users don't to re-download what they already have. The name of the installer is currently "Build14_1_final_installer_11082017.exe".

@Grey Roger, no worries about the file sizes. The installer executable stands at 361 MB. :thumbs1

Last edited:
Adding the date probably wouldn't do any harm. Any time I've downloaded an installer in the past, if it didn't have the date included in the filename, I added it. (Mainly because I have a collection of old installers and need to know which one is which.)

The installer has been uploaded to a location I hope is accessible to the testers, and the usual suspects testers have been notified via private message.

Adding the date probably wouldn't do any harm. Any time I've downloaded an installer in the past, if it didn't have the date included in the filename, I added it. (Mainly because I have a collection of old installers and need to know which one is which.)
My preference is to have a date in the name as a version. The last thing I want is to have a rolling workspace that eventually becomes impossible to maintain.

Having the date in the filename makes sense to me. :onya

I do wonder about calling it Build 14.1 though when technically there was never a Build 14.0 .
Am I the only one who finds that strange? :shock

And thanks very, VERY much for working on this, @Mad Jack Wolfe! :bow

Having the date in the filename makes sense to me. :onya

I do wonder about calling it Build 14.1 though when technically there was never a Build 14.0.
Am I the only one who finds that strange? :shock

And thanks very, VERY much for working on this, @Mad Jack Wolfe! :bow
Thanks, Pieter! You gave me an excellent base to build from. :cheers

You make a great point. If we use the patch release date as the version number, then we wouldn't have to publicly bother with the right side of the decimal point unless we really wanted to. Internal versioning can remain untouched since we're the only ones who see it.

That means "Build 14 (11 August 2017)" drops the beta moniker and becomes our full release. The installer name becomes "Build14_installer_11082017.exe" and helps clear up confusion as to which installer someone is using when they ask for support. Clean, simple, easy to remember.

That's my tuppence on the matter. In the spirit of piratical democracy, I'm good with whatever the group decides.

@Mad Jack Wolfe I myself will not be compiling Build 14 ever again after this year,
but @Grey Roger is likely going to continue making ZIP archives for it anyway.
It would be great if you could continue to whip those into convenient user-friendly Installer EXEs for the less tech-savvy regular players.

For that purpose, I have uploaded ALL files I used to create the very latest EXE here:
You (or anyone) can use this as starting point to continue working your magic from. :doff

@Mad Jack Wolfe I myself will not be compiling Build 14 ever again after this year,
but @Grey Roger is likely going to continue making ZIP archives for it anyway.
It would be great if you could continue to whip those into convenient user-friendly Installer EXEs for the less tech-savvy regular players.

For that purpose, I have uploaded ALL files I used to create the very latest EXE here:
You (or anyone) can use this as starting point to continue working your magic from. :doff
Thanks, Pieter. I've just downloaded your archive so I'll have a clean slate to work from. :onya

I just discovered the Installer EXE I uploaded on the 1st wasn't 100% up-to-date!
I actually made a small change to the Change Log and Build Date after.
But in my severe need of vacay, those slipped past the compilation process.

In case somebody wants to fix my error:
Attached are the files that were intended to be the REAL final ones.

Attachments

• Build Info.txt
    205.4 KB · Views: 69
  • globals.c
    14.7 KB · Views: 66
I was already planning an update for the "NOT-FINAL" installer. :p I'll check those files, then add them to it.

Back