• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Updates to Blacksmiths

Dextr

Sailor
Uh, this is strange, but I do seem to remember, that in the previous updates the blacksmiths had a line, allowing to get all your blades in the inventory fixed. Now they fix only one at a time, making it much more tiresome to have your crew and officers properly equipped. Is this how it should be?

There is only one blacksmith that does multiple blades.
Can't remember which one it is by the top of my head.
Would be nice if they all did though.

It's the one with the file called just blacksmith_dialog.c
blacksmith3_dialog.c repairs all guns. 2, 4, 6, and 7 do not have those options. Intentionally?

And there's a bug in blacksmith_dialog.c. When you use first "repair all" and then repair 1 single blade you get an extra blade.

Last edited:
It's not intentional. Just a feature that was never expanded on.

Ok, the bug looks complicated. If I can't fix it I suggest we skip it in those 2 files.

Perhaps I can have a quick look next week.
Don't have access to the code today.

The bug appears when you 1 "repair all" 2 repair equipped without open the inventory between.
I have not time to do anything until monday night.
If you fix something Pieter, please upload to me as I'm already working on those blacksmith dialog files.

There is only one blacksmith that does multiple blades. Can't remember which one it is by the top of my head. Would be nice if they all did though.

It's the one on Bonaire.

It's the one with the file called just blacksmith_dialog.c blacksmith3_dialog.c repairs all guns. 2, 4, 6, and 7 do not have those options. Intentionally?

Guns? You mean blades? That's another point here - the Bonaire blacksmith can fix all blades at a time (THAT IS TO SAY HIS APPRENTICES FIX THEM ALL TO THE "FINE" STATUS), but does not fix guns at all!

The blacksmith at Sao Jorge only repairs guns, and can repair the lot at once. At a guess, he's "blacksmith3".

I didn't have the option to repair them all to "Excellent" status, but I'm not sure whether that's because he won't put that level of effort into a mass job or whether I didn't have enough money.

Different blacksmiths have different skills. Most do blades, some do guns.
I think there are even 1-2 or so who manage to do both.

There is only one blacksmith that does multiple blades. Would be nice if they all did though.

I would just like to share my view on this issue: the very idea of fixing one blade/gun per time, or in other words, per day is very inconvenient. Imagine yourself trying to properly equip your officers and crew with excellent swords and guns, and spending A WHOLE MONTH ON IT JUST STAYING AT THE BLACKSMITHS'! And then, you get all your beloved weapons deteriorate in just a single fort fight! Seriously, I don't get it how guys like Hylie Pistof manage to keep their equipment excellent all the time (I remember him saying that:)), without spending the whole gameplay fixing things. I for one, had an occasion when my crew started dying due to food loss, while I was waiting to get all my blades fixed:) That's why I totally agree with Pieter that multiple fixing would be most welcome. Also, I don't see any problem in allowing the blacksmith to fix all blades to the excellent status in multiple regime, if you have the money and give him proper time, which IMHO, should definetly be shorter than a blade per day ratio.

Not that many blades get degraded in boarding battles. Usually only 4-10. It is upgrading all of the looted swords that takes the time. That is why I only keep the best swords and then only if they are already in fine or excellent condition. All others get sold.

LOL, yes it is a good idea to watch your rations while in the blacksmith shop. With every sword repaired it also shows how many days of food you have left. I have spent two pay periods in there so it is necessary to pay attention.

Basically, if you don't want to spend the time repairing them, just sell them!

The reason for blade at a time is simply because that was much easier to mod back in those days.
If that multi repair works properly, perhaps it can be include for the other blacksmiths too? But I don't know how that works because I never tried.

Back