• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Updating the reward for the Marauder

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
When you go to the Martinique Governor, and capture the pirate frigate he gives 5000 in gold. Given what pirate hunting is paying on other islands this seems paltry. Perhaps its time for a change.

The French had a reputation for not paying their Captains. One French Captain put up a heroic performance in getting a French convoy past a British blockade in the Med to France. But because he was fighting a rear guard action he arrived in port after the convoy arrived. The Crown used that as an excuse to not pay him at all!

Ok then, I think it will be good to check the what the French Governor pays for regular ship hunting quests.

The French Governor on Martinique just offered 22,600 gold pieces for taking or sinking a 22 gun brig. Again 5.000 pieces for a 36 gun pirate corvette seems inappropriately light.

This is not a high priority to address but if someone is interested and has the time something like 30k to 65k might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
It is extremely easy to change the reward for that quest; should just be one number somewhere in a line of code; easily done.

The background is that this particular quest is a specific sidequest, while the regular Governor Ship Hunting quests make use of a completely different system.
There is a different ship as enemy for that quest in different periods; technically then there may need to be a different reward in different periods.
It may be possible to auto-calculate that to be in line with the rewards for the generic quests, but that would take a bit more doing.

Since this is a special side-quest, maybe a special reward could be thought up instead of just "giving more gold".
Then we can do a fixed pay of 40,000 gold, which may still be a bit too little for an enemy that size.
But since you get something else that you cannot get in any other way, that balances it out.

Does that sound like a good idea? If so, what kind of "special reward" could this be?

For one thing, if you capture rather than sink Marauder, and provided you're not a naval officer, what you get as a reward is Marauder, which is quite a nice ship. (If you are a naval officer then you can't swap ship to take command of it, but then either you're a naval officer in the service of France and it's your duty to deal with that ship anyway, or you're a naval officer in someone else's service so why are you doing jobs for the French? xD) If you do the same quest in "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic" periods then you fight, and have the chance to take, Iceni Queen, which is a really nice ship!

Rewards for this quest are handed to you at case "english_war_ship_4" of "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Joseph Claude Le Moigne_dialog.c".

As for special rewards, how about a nice new shiny sword? The French Nobility Sword (blade25) is valid for all time periods. It's also pretty rare (rarity 0.05) so you're not likely to get one elsewhere. For good measure, make it "blade25+3" (excellent quality version, when I said "nice new shiny" I meant it :D).

As for special rewards, how about a nice new shiny sword? The French Nobility Sword (blade25) is valid for all time periods. It's also pretty rare (rarity 0.05) so you're not likely to get one elsewhere. For good measure, make it "blade25+3" (excellent quality version, when I said "nice new shiny" I meant it :D).
As solutions go, that is for sure a very workable and simple one. :onya

That would make it worthwhile for me as the ship itself does not suit my play style and is immediately sold. But a nice sword to add to my collection...........

Very well then; as soon as I get the chance, it'll be 30,000 gold + sword.

In the Joseph Claude le Moigne dialog file:
Code:
    case "english_war_ship_4":
       dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[77];
       link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[78];
       link.l1.go = "exit";
       PlayStereoSound("INTERFACE\took_item.wav");
       AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 30000);
       if(ENABLE_WEAPONSMOD)   GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade25+3");
       else           GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade25");
And changing the code too:
Code:
". I'll pay you 30000 gold to sink or capture the warship. And there may be an extra bonus in it for you too.",
[...]
"Here, take your reward as agreed and this sword as well. Consider it a token of my gratitude. Now don't stray too far. I may have more assignments for you later.",

Sound good?

This quest is a bit of an odd one, actually. It was the original ship hunting quest, before they were introduced as randomly generated ones for each governor. Making it a bit more special is definitely nice.

Back