• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Worldmap

Yeah, I noticed it's still quite a nasty issue. :facepalm
Perhaps treating the island as two parts might work, or at least should be worth trying. Using East and West parts sounds sensible to me.
What changes would need to be made in the code? Just another entry in Worldmap_init.c, or more than that?

What changes would need to be made in the code? Just another entry in Worldmap_init.c, or more than that?
You can try with a doubled up entry there and see what happens.
I'd be surprised if it'd work, but at least then we tried. :facepalm

OK, I'll try that out and let you know what happens.

Well, that doesn't work. I duplicated the code there and named one West Cuba and the other East Cuba, then commented out the towns and shores outside each one's radius.
In the game (started a new game), the label still reads Cuba, and has moved to the East position, but there is no West label... or anything at all.
Travelling to the Easy side and leaving the World Map takes you where you'd expect, but entering the West side just places you in open water.

Chances are this would only work if we treated the East and West sides as fully-separate islands in all ways, so more code would need to be duplicated (Islands_init.c?).

I didn't really expect it to work. Indeed you can try copying the island init entry too.

Didn't they split Cuba and Hispaniola in two in CoAS too? They must've had a reason for that. This might be it.

Didn't they split Cuba and Hispaniola in two in CoAS too? They must've had a reason for that. This might be it.

I still don't have that game, so I wouldn't know. But it does sound plausible.

In other news, I've exported the Cartagena island, seabed and "refl" models to test in the game... and starting a new game to visit the island, there's nothing there. :modding
The first time, I just encountered a load of sea foam in the place of the former island, complete with collision (??!) and no island.
I then deleted the foam files to force the game to generate new ones, which it did, but still no island, and now no visible foam either.
So then I rotated the island locators to see if that would make a difference, but apparently not. I assume everything has moved, but I don't have any visual references to confirm that.

All I CAN see is the stock fort floating in its position. And to confuse things further, System.log claims the island has no sea bed... but the model IS in the folder. :facepalm
Needless to say, I'm stumped. The island export worked properly, and it looks good in GM Viewer and TOOL. Here are the logs, though I'm not sure they're very helpful.

Attachments

• compile.log
    19.9 KB · Views: 164
  • system.log
    5.8 KB · Views: 171
Code:
Island: island Cartahena has no sea bed, check me!
That HAS to be related to the problem. Somehow. Maybe it has to be exported with different settings?
Is there anything in the help files here by any chance? http://piratesahoy.net/build/tools/

What if you try to import and export an existing island model, say Antigua? Does it also disappear then?

BTW: Splitting up Cuba would throw the Colonies Interface out of whack too.
That could end up REAL annoying REAL fast.

I'll try substituting in the previous seabed model and see if that helps. I can't see why there would be any special requirements for it. o_O
I'd rather not mess with any other islands until this one is working as intended.

While I'm at it, do you know where the game defines the positions of the fort, seabed and "refl" models? It doesn't seem to be in the blank models with locators, so must be in the code somewhere.

Looks like the seabed is called in the island GM file itself.
And the fort is called in Islands_init.c . See here for the Antigua one:
Code:
        rIsland.reload.l1.fort.model = "Antigua_fort1";
        rIsland.reload.l1.fort.locators = "Antigua_fort1_locators";

Well, apparently I missed that part, but fixing it still makes no difference to the island being visible. I just don't get it. :facepalm
This time I got an error log as well, relating to World Map positioning, I think. Probably doesn't help.

Attachments

• error.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 169
That error message is suggesting that the island where you're at doesn't have a position set in the worldmap init file. VERY strange?
Any chance you could upload your modified Cartagena island model so I could do some experimenting of my own?

Agh, it seems I'm experiencing just about the same as you do.
The game DOES know I'm at Cartagena, because I get the appropriate on-screen log message. But it's NOT showing the island model.
And I've got one added piece of confusion:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...s-code-and-much-more.20575/page-6#post-456486

This file contains a Barbados.mb file that perhaps you can look at for guidance: http://piratesahoy.net/build/tools/Help/HelpFiles.rar
Also look at the included ImportInStorm.doc file. That seems to explain different settings required for importing (but I wonder if they mean exporting; I think they do).

How hard would it be to import, say, Antigua into Maya and export it straight away without modifications?
If that does work, then at least the exporting process is sound and something else is amiss.

Checking that help file and the example island model was at least somewhat helpful, but didn't fix the invisible island problem.

It DID show me that all the base locators should be positioned at (0,0,0) to export each part (island, fort, seabed, refl), which I didn't know before.
And better still, I managed to properly decipher the instructions on how to export models WITH locators, and I even managed to get it to work with a test model. :woot
Turns out the English translations in the document are quite misleading; I ran the Russian text through Google Translate and got much better results. Will upload an alternative version soon.

Anyway, I've updated the Cartahena_NEW.7z package with all the models positioned correctly now, even though they don't show up.

STILL not showing up? Even with everything set up apparently correctly on exporting?
Now I REALLY wonder what would happen if you try another island. :modding

Yep, this has me properly confused. I mean, I must be doing SOMETHING right with the export process because I'm getting locators exported properly for the first time.
It has me wondering whether there's been a huge miscalculation of scale, and the island has exported far too small... but so far I'm getting no hints of that from GM Viewer. :read

I'll keep looking for a solution for now. Antigua looks like another mess of its own, so I don't want to try anything with that just yet.

Try another island that isn't a mess then. A stock game island then. Just to make sure the method works at all. :facepalm

I'm having a mystery of my own with TOWN pirate flags. That is being PROPER elusive. o_O :modding :boom:

I just exported the Barbados model from the help files, with the same export settings as Cartagena, and it DOES show up in the game.
So this would indeed suggest a problem exists with the Cartagena model itself. Now to figure out what... :modding

Agh. Oh well, at least you know something more. The plot thickens! :cheeky

Back