• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Upgrade Idea's

PapaDooks

Landlubber
G'day folks,
No idea if these are even possible but a few things i thought of while playing so figured i'd put them out there.

Exchange cargo space for crew quarters and other way around. i know a lot of privateers used to carry a heap more men onboard to send off as prize crews and the such by converting holds into extra quarters. i noticed a lot of the french made ships in-game already have larger crew but smaller holds as it is.

Chain slings and Netting. would slightly reduce sail and crew damage. i know atleast naval ships used to equip chains onto their spars to reduce the chances of them being shot away and would rig nets above the decks to help stop some of the falling rigging being able to land on top of gun crews.

I'm unsure how the game works out how many men fight in the boarding attacks but maybe something like swivel guns that reduce the enemy resistance when you board them. to represent firing swivel's of canister across their deck's before you jump across.

Does the Corsair Upgrade not already do something to make your ship better suited for pirating?

The Musket Volley ability does exactly what you describe for boarding.

You can imagine boarding netting being a part of your defense skill.

I believe the Corsair Upgrade does the opposite, it increases your cargo capacity at the expense of hit points. Besides, I usually try not to arrive at the next port without a full complement of prize ships, and generally manage to put at least a skeleton crew onto them using the ships' own surviving crews topped up with some from my own crew to bring them up to minimum required total. So I don't find the extra crew quarters necessary.

What might be useful, possibly as a perk, is to use free cargo space to accomodate survivors picked up from the sea. The game used to assume you had found somewhere for them and allowed you to rescue them even if you already had a full crew; now you can only rescue survivors if you are short of some crew. So, if you have less than full crew, survivors could be added to your crew as at present; if you have a full crew and have the perk, each rescued sailor could take up a certain amount of free cargo space, and also take a share of your food and rum stocks. These survivors would need to be removed at the next port, otherwise you'll eventually run out of cargo space.

I believe the Corsair Upgrade does the opposite, it increases your cargo capacity at the expense of hit points. Besides, I usually try not to arrive at the next port without a full complement of prize ships, and generally manage to put at least a skeleton crew onto them using the ships' own surviving crews topped up with some from my own crew to bring them up to minimum required total. So I don't find the extra crew quarters necessary.
Not sure entirely what it does anymore. Check PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h; it is defined in there somewhere.
In any case, it is an upgrade that makes some things better and some worse to eventually make your ship more suited to pirating.

What might be useful, possibly as a perk, is to use free cargo space to accomodate survivors picked up from the sea. The game used to assume you had found somewhere for them and allowed you to rescue them even if you already had a full crew; now you can only rescue survivors if you are short of some crew. So, if you have less than full crew, survivors could be added to your crew as at present; if you have a full crew and have the perk, each rescued sailor could take up a certain amount of free cargo space, and also take a share of your food and rum stocks. These survivors would need to be removed at the next port, otherwise you'll eventually run out of cargo space.
At the moment if you cannot fit more crew, the rescued ones just aren't added.
This sounds like a lot of work and I'm not entirely sure what would be the advantage of doing it.
So I doubt I'll be doing anything with it, considering the amount of other large things I still want to tackle some time.

The different nationalities do give different stats for their ships. The French and English ships tend to have the smallest holds and largest crews for that type while the Spanish have the largest holds and smallest crews. The Dutch and Portagee ships are variable. Sometimes they are small and sometimes they are large.

Back