• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

USS Enterprise (Refit) Unity 5 Test Scene

Captain Murphy

Actually a Captain
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Programmer
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
When I started in Unity last year I used some free models from http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ to begin understanding some of the lighting and material concepts in Unity 4. Since then I have learned quite a bit and also found that I still had some of those old projects in my folders so I decided to bring them up to date in Unity 5f4.

Image Gallery

Working running lights:
A5pUb5v.gif

cgqhzIc.png

yvxpDKk.png

As of now it is simply a scene that you can move around in and look at the ship. It is a model made for exterior viewing so it really isn't very detailed inside. The camera effects I was going for was just past The Motion Picture but not quite JJ Abrams level.

You can download a playable scene here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4axou7t1glc6vl/Enterprise Refit Showcase 1.0.17.zip?dl=0

Assets Used:
Meshes from http://www.trekmeshes.ch/

SSAO Pro
Space Scene Construction Kit
Custom made light blinking script

I have quote a few plans for the scene over the next few months, but since it is just a side project it will take some time to do. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Those running lights are pretty neat, even the quick flashers on the nacelles, nice! The lighting and shadow following the contour of the deck plating is quite a nice effect! I really like the look of deck plating as well, that is a very realistic plated metallic surface. :onya

I have the shuttle bay doors functioning now. They don't open like the movie version, but at least they work!

@Captain Murphy, that looks pretty good actually!

@Pieter Boelen, the Star Trek universe was was full of pirates!

Like this guy for instance!

Harcourt_Fenton_Mudd_2266.jpg

Or these guys, Orion Pirates!

PO1_Big.jpg

And of course, Orion slave girls!

Vina_as_an_Orion_slave_girl.jpg

This scene has been one of my testing grounds since starting in Unity, so I have used it for all sorts of lighting effect attempts. My next goal on it is to add some basic crew that you can see through the portholes and in the rooms. Nothing major, just some free Star Trek models wandering about. After that I want to do some minor animation and add in a space dock so that I can replicate the undocking scene from The Motion Picture (TMP) complete with startup lighting sequence and music. :D

Technically Khan could be considered a pirate, as he certainly did succeed in taking over a couple of starships with a comparatively small crew! That was not his proclaimed profession however.

The term Megalomaniac would certainly apply. He considered himself to be the leader of a master race of genetically engineered humans.

Just tried this and it definitely looks cool! Performance wasn't very good though; quite laggy....

I have updated the link to the latest version.

Update:
  • Added ship control, can now fly it around
  • Added camera types that can be cycled through
  • Added a couple sounds and theme music
  • Added F1 help for all keys
  • Added the code to open/close shuttlebay doors
  • Screenshot code is a bit faster
  • Changed how mouse view works (must hold mouse 2 to change view/location of camera)
  • Redid some of the interior lighting
  • Fixed running lights to match The Motion Picture

I think I see a Hearts Of Oak sequel in the works! :woot

So, where is the Klingon Battle Cruiser or Romulan Bird of Prey?? If you want me to fly the thing, I gotta have something to shoot at! :walkplank

There is another ship in the scene, you just gotta find it. Just a hint, it is to stbd when you start.

I do want to put in a Klingon cruiser in there, maybe put some basic pathfinding on it. I have been working on the phaser and torpedo effects while stuck on phone meetings so those may be available before too long. Still have to work on shields and making them look correct.

Nice modeling, captain.

I thought Cumberbatch rocked as Kahn. The only thing I really liked about the movie. It's a good thing I didn't see it in theaters, though. Not because I would have felt ripped-off, but because everyone there would have stared at and wondered about that guy in back laughing at Kirk's "death" scene. ;)

@Captain Murphy, I'll check it out this weekend mate, won't have time again before then.

While I think J.J. Abrams did a decent job directing and making the new Star Trek films look good, I can't say the same for the writing or storylines. That was quite disappointing. I was also not to fond of Christopher Pines portrayal of Kirk, but Zachary Quinto was quite good as Spock.

Nice modeling, captain.

I thought Cumberbatch rocked as Kahn. The only thing I really liked about the movie. It's a good thing I didn't see it in theaters, though. Not because I would have felt ripped-off, but because everyone there would have stared at and wondered about that guy in back laughing at Kirk's "death" scene. ;)
Not my models, I got them from the Trek meshes website. I, too, loved Cumberbatch as Kahn. He did overplay a few spots but in all it was a good portrayal.

@Captain Murphy, I'll check it out this weekend mate, won't have time again before then.

While I think J.J. Abrams did a decent job directing and making the new Star Trek films look good, I can't say the same for the writing or storylines. That was quite disappointing. I was also not to fond of Christopher Pines portrayal of Kirk, but Zachary Quinto was quite good as Spock.
My personal favorite was Karl Urban as Bones. The appearance of the movie was nice except the bloom was a bit overdone as well as a LOT of the lens flares.

For Star Trek films, I just really, REALLY want them to actually do some exploration in space and an adventure following from that.
They have basically never done a proper story like that, despite that being the official Enterprise mission.

I: Alien theat to Earth (V'Ger)
II: Crazy person (Khan) on the loose (after Enterprise)
III: Rescue Spock
IV: Save Earth from Space Whales by travelling back in time
V: Forced "exploration" to find "God"
VI: Peace negotiations gone wrong
VII: Crazy person on the loose (prevent destruction of alien planet)
VIII: Alien theat to Earth (Borg) plus more time travel
IX: Protection of alien planet from own federation
X: Peace negotiations gone wrong. Again.
ST: Crazy person on the loose/Alien theat to Earth. Again.
ST:ID: Protect from own federation. Again. Also: What is 9/11 anology doing here!?!?

But never ever did they have deliberate exploration in these films, despite the following being repeated many, many times:
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its [...] mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
How about they actually go ahead and DO that for a change! Should be pretty obvious to take that as idea for the next movie, no?

The only thing that comes close is Star Trek: Voyager which at least did have them far away from Earth exploring strange new worlds.
Of course due to its episodic nature, it still didn't seem very explorer-like. But they almost got it there....

Also, proper space battles as in Star Wars have hardly ever been seen in Star Trek and I'd quite like to see it.
A little bit in First Contact and apparently Deep Space Nine has some too, but I haven't watched that yet.

Long story short: There are clearly still Star Trek stories to tell in film. But they need to get off their arse and actually make it happen.
Also skip any strange modern anologies and just go for the obvious story options that have never been done. :facepalm

Back