• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

USS Enterprise (Refit) Unity 5 Test Scene

You might have to explain the controls a bit, because I'm having a hard time with it.
It seems any response in motion is quite slow. And what is the difference between D, E and Shift+D for example?

Is there any camera mode where you just are put behind the ship and keep following?

Well you are moving around many tons of ship so it is a bit slow, they do need to be adjusted, but I want them to be different for certain speeds so that a ship moving fast will take longer to turn and a slow moving ship will turn much faster.

W & A will change the pitch up/down (rotating the ships nose up/down), Shift W & A will change the elevation by moving the entire ship up/down. Same goes for the A/D keys.

There are two 'following' camera modes, the first will keep the orientation of the camera fixed, the other will keep the direction fixed but not the rotation. You can use the former to rotate around behind the ship and use it as a follow cam. I will see about adding a dedicated following camera though.

So Shift A/D is shifting the ship sideways, while regular A/D turns the ship?

Update
  • Controls changed so that velocity forward will reduce maneuverability
  • Cameras modified. They still need some work. Sometimes they go batty.
  • Added firing torpedoes.
Link in original post updated.

But never ever did they have deliberate exploration in these films, despite the following being repeated many, many times:
How about they actually go ahead and DO that for a change! Should be pretty obvious to take that as idea for the next movie, no?

Also, proper space battles as in Star Wars have hardly ever been seen in Star Trek and I'd quite like to see it.
A little bit in First Contact and apparently Deep Space Nine has some too, but I haven't watched that yet.

the tele show from the 60's they did a lot more exploring. if anything voyager is more of a "child" to the original series then most of the movies in spirit anyway.

oh and don't bother watching DS9 if your wanting to see space battle. star trek battles are very boring it's mainly shots of the bridge and shaking camera's and the odd image of a ship firing at nothing. not as action packed as the second death star battle from ROTJ.

so did anyone else ever find it weird that the klingons used cloaks. romulons used cloaks. federation didn't ? i mean seriously you'd give up that kind of advantage o_O

Latest update to the particle effect library. This is a test of the starfield at 'warp'. The actual velocity is the same as when at an impulse speed (real Z speed seen in bottom corner) but the particles are created by a 'warp' flag. When at impulse you have the smaller particles and space fog, but warp is a clean version that only allows straight line flight.

Here are a couple of pics of the 'going to warp' effect trails:

gMnPu.png

gMnuS.png

The full effect will be requires some impulse power, then does a 'warm up' where the engines sound ramps up (pitch and volume) then pushes the ship to 'warp'. The trails will appear for about a second or so behind the ship while the stars begin to appear and stretch. As the stars effect comes in, the trail will go away.

The warp effects are coming together, now time to work on 'de-warp' effects to make the stretched stars slow back down before disappearing.

I like the Hearts of Oak logo on those videos! Yes, Star Trek = Pirate Stuff! :razz

But as much as it isn't pirates, it is still VERY cool. So what's going to happen now? You'll end up making TWO games?

The "sound ramping up" sounds to me like it should go a bit higher and louder. But I don't know why it seems that way to me. :confused:

Ah, the channel logo shows on them, forgot about that. It shows on all of the videos from that channel, regardless of the playlist it is in.

As of right now it has been an exercise in learning how particles, trail renderers, PBR, multiple light sources, and SSAO all interact for a scene. I also have an interesting double camera system working (you can see in the last warp video) where I am moving two separate cameras inside of a world that see different things and overlay them. Camera 1 sees the ship only, camera 2 sees the background/planets/solar bodies. When they are put together using depth rendering you get a complete image of the world. The trick is, that planet is about 1m in diameter but if you fly the ship to it it looks like a planet. This may be our answer to free sailing and seeing islands in the distance.

The sound is a single 'engine hum' doing all of the work. It does a pitch/volume change for the different engine states and that was about as high pitch and high volume as it would go before it sounded a bit too odd. I think the issue is the ramp up ending doesn't exactly line up with the warp jump so it seems to just sit at the high pitch too long.

This all looks far too cool. Do you have too much time on your hands, Captain Murphy? :p

@Captain Murphy, sorry mate, I didn't get a chance last weekend to give it a try. I really like the new particle effects, nice work mate! Maybe I'll get a chance to check it out this weekend! :wp

Well my goal of only spending 40 hours of development on this project is up, so I don't know that it will get a whole lot more attention. I am on to my next learning project already.

LOL, that's your fault for not being in the UK. :wp
Here's an excerpt of the article instead:
Star Trek 3 co-writer (and Scotty actor) Simon Pegg says audiences can expect the third film in the rebooted sci-fi franchise to be about frontierism, adventure, optimism and fun.

Speaking to Spinoff Online, Pegg indicated that he and co-writer Doug Jung intend to bring the movie franchise back to its TV roots, saying, "[W]e just want to take it forward with the spirit of the TV show. And it's a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that's where we want to take it, you know. Where no man has gone before – where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation."

LOL, that's your fault for not being in the UK. :wp
Turns out I CAN see it at home; just not at work.... :facepalm

Anyway, that's certainly good to hear. Could be a huge lot of fun if they want it to be.
And if they're trying to compete with Star Wars in any way, it pretty much has to be.
It is quite an obvious choice, but after the last two films (which I do like, especially the first), I was admittedly beginning to wonder....

Did some model cleanup to smooth some normals, re-uv'ed a couple items to align some of the textures a bit. Then gutted the game itself and redid a number of functions and started rebuilding the post process effects and the scripting. The lights scripts are also redone with a bit better reflections. It is now on Itch.io as well so updates are easier to deploy. Everything is brought up from that old beta Unity 5 to Unity 2017, so a lot more optimized.

Enterprise by Salty Sea Dogs

Let me know what y'all think!

Did some model cleanup to smooth some normals, re-uv'ed a couple items to align some of the textures a bit. Then gutted the game itself and redid a number of functions and started rebuilding the post process effects and the scripting. The lights scripts are also redone with a bit better reflections. It is now on Itch.io as well so updates are easier to deploy. Everything is brought up from that old beta Unity 5 to Unity 2017, so a lot more optimized.

Enterprise by Salty Sea Dogs

Let me know what y'all think!
Impressive! The refit Enterprise has always been my favourite.

Back