• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Vanderdecken ships

Cody

Landlubber
hello, im new to the thread but not new to potc new horizons. im currently playing as a naval officer for the united states, im also at the highest rank and would like to purchase two more 1st rates. i read on another thread that you have to buy 1st rates from this guys store on isle de muerta. so i got the compass and i went there wanting to buy the dauntless for myself. low and behold i cannot purchase anything from him, not a single ship and i do have enough money. i click on the ship like normal and nothing happens, cant do anything besides repair and sell my ships.

is this a known bug or does he only sell to pirates?

He sells to anyone. He's just a shipyard.

You cannot buy ships because you're a Naval Officer and are meant to command whatever ship you're assigned to.
You get new ships for free upon being promoted, which eventually leads to first rates.
This is part of the new navy officer gameplay.

Anyway, he sells special ships that you cannot get otherwise.
But regular first rates may be available from regular shipyards. They're just rare.

Perhaps allow Vanderdecken to sell ships to naval officers? He's a massive cheat anyway, so if people playing as naval officers want to buy ships anyway, that gives them a way to do it. Of course, having spent lots of hard-earned money on a new ship, you'll lose it when it's replaced at your next promotion, but if you're at the top rank (when you're allowed to swap ships), this would give you a way of getting something better than the usual. Or you could be procuring the super-ship, at your own expense, on behalf of your nation, and being an admiral, you get to choose who will command it - yourself, of course. :napoleon

Perhaps allow Vanderdecken to sell ships to naval officers? He's a massive cheat anyway, so if people playing as naval officers want to buy ships anyway, that gives them a way to do it.
That requires an exception (allow at Vanderdecken) on the exception (don't allow for Naval Officers).
Possible, of course. But I don't think we need to bother unless there is real player demand for it.

Can you buy ships at higher ranks? I can't remember now.

You cannot buy ships because you're a Naval Officer and are meant to command whatever ship you're assigned to.
In that case, when are you able to buy ships that show up in the shipyard with "Cannot buy - Navy ship"? I often see that as a Privateer and assumed it meant I would have to be a Naval Officer to buy it... unless that restriction is now obsolete?

In that case, when are you able to buy ships that show up in the shipyard with "Cannot buy - Navy ship"? I often see that as a Privateer and assumed it meant I would have to be a Naval Officer to buy it... unless that restriction is now obsolete?
Once you obtain the required Privateer rank, you can buy navy ships. :yes

Use the "Promote" cheat up to Rank 12 and you should be able to buy Tier 1 ships as a Privateer.

Ah, OK. Do you think the message should say "Cannot buy - Rank too low" instead, to avoid confusion?

Ah, OK. Do you think the message should say "Cannot buy - Rank too low" instead, to avoid confusion?
Could do, I suppose. Easy enough to change in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\shipyard.c .
This was of course added many, many years before the dedicated "Naval Officer" gameplay was ever included.

oh alright, yeah im already the highest rank (dont remember the name) i have two first rates already and would like to get two more. the lowest rate i see in shipyards is a two but maybe thats just me not getting lucky. can i possibly get one from the naval base on antigua? im not at war with the british anymore but i cant seem to find the dude in the shipyard, hes not at his desk and only the gaurd is walking around, cant talk to him about buying a ship. maybe if i get a letter of marque will i be able to buy from them. figuring since its a naval base that they would have first rates.

If I remember correctly, the Antigua dockyard will repair your ship and that's all - you can't buy or sell ships. This is why, if I've captured any prize ships on my way to Antigua, I stop off at Charleston, Nevis to sell them before proceeding to the naval base. He'll also only do that (and the storekeeper will only trade with you) if you have a British Letter of Marque, or possibly if you bribe them.

Probably capture is the easiest way of getting another ship.

I wonder if ship purchase should be unlocked for Naval Officers once you become Commodore.

i believe it does unlock once you reach commodore, darn, i guess ill have to just keep my eyes open. is it possible to encounter 1st rates like the man o war? think i can cap a few of those and be satisfied, once we go to war with Britain again. or maybe if i can spark a war without losing any reputation or points with america. right now we neutral with Britain.

Sparking a war isn't currently possible in the game without using the console.

But first rates can indeed be encountered.
There is one relatively rare type of WorldMap/DirectSail Encounter that consists of a large fleet of rather huge ships.

direct sail is just when you get randomly taken out of the world map right? man i wanna find that fleet now lol

also, completely unrelated question.. but i just started a profile with barbossa and the cursed pearl. will my deck crew ever look dead or will they always look normal?

DirectSail is sailing from Island to Island without using the worldmap.

As Barbossa, your crew is cursed at night, assuming you indeed have a whole bunch of cursed coins in tyke Weapons Locker.

sweet! ill have to keep an eye out and start using that instead of worldmap, the deck crew hasnt turned into skeletons at night yet but then again i just started and the pearl hasnt even gotten the torn sails yet.

They only turn into skeletons during boarding; not in 3D Sailing Mode (only exception is the cursed Black Pearl).

Worldmap ship encounters and ships encountered during DirectSail are equivalent.
You can use whichever method you like best.

Back