• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Very Difficult treasure quest

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
It finally happened. I found an impossible treasure quest. I don't know how many pirates there are but after we are all dead there are 3-6 still left.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Open Sea March 28th, 1692.7z
    642.9 KB · Views: 75
Impossible because the enemies are too strong then?
What is your character level? There has been a fair bit of work by @Levis to make enemies not too low level.
Maybe you're now getting the reverse of that situation where they're really very good instead.

You can try temporarily lowering the difficulty.
God mode should get you through as well, of course.

Cheating doesn't work for me. The only one being cheated is myself. Why play the game at all?

Before making the last post I even went so far as to bring 5 crewmen ashore too. That didn't work out as they just stood there while we got slaughtered. :rumgone

While playing I sailed past Hispaniola and decided to try it again with 5 crewmen. Before going ashore I tried to arm them but they said they were already armed! :dance This time it worked out a little differently. I started out hand grenading the pirates from a distance until one crewman ran ahead and got grenaded. :facepalm He won the Darwin Award for that. :ko Except for that idiot it went well this time as they all got into the fighting. We were all pretty tore up and only one crewman survived but we did survive the attack. It turned out there were 10 pirates. Oh, and no treasure. :bird:

Crew gets auto equipped these days, courtesy of @Jack Rackham.
Depending on which modpack you are playing, they may have been affected by a "not equipping" bug.
That should be fixed in the most recent updates though.

Sounds to me like the system is behaving well. I guess you are playing on high difficulty.
There is some randomization in the pirates so they could be easier other times. And if you find a really tough one indeed you might want to use grenades and such. Means they will be used more also.
I don't see any reason to change anything yet :p.

Higher difficulty makes the game difficult. That isn't too strange, as long as it doesn't go as far as making the game unplayable.

Personally, I feel that if random thugs are so powerful that they can not be defeated except with the proposed new high power grenades then they are too powerful. It ought to be possible to defeat them with a full team of officers equipped with suitable swords and armour for your level without having to resort to weapons of mass destruction.

Personally, I feel that if random thugs are so powerful that they can not be defeated except with the proposed new high power grenades then they are too powerful. It ought to be possible to defeat them with a full team of officers equipped with suitable swords and armour for your level without having to resort to weapons of mass destruction.
I think there are two issues here:

1. Random enemies become TOO hard in the late game on the highest difficulty level: In that case, possibly the effect of difficulty on enemy rank is too pronounced.
That being said, there is a reason for that being the highest difficulty. If even the highest one is relatively playable, then it doesn't give us an "ultimate challenge" in the game.
Of course the level below that should DEFINITELY be playable.
In the end, the choice of difficulty level lies with the player. You can even switch in mid-game.

2. Grenades (aka. "weapons of mass destruction") become near-useless in the later game due to a discrepancy between character HP and the damage done.
If there is only one type of grenade, that always remains a problem. So having multiple levels of them makes sense regardless of #1 above.

Hmm. My problem in this particular case was that I tried the treasure quest too early in the game and we did not have good enough skills to take on the pirates. When we came back later with better skills we were successful. I was venting my frustration as much as anything. When one goes into a 10-8 fight, gets wiped out, and sees that there are still 4-6 enemies left one can get frustrated.

Don't over think things.

Back