• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

vista COAS freezing problem

I honestly can't think of anything else to try at the moment mate, but I will keep thinking on it. There has got to be a solution somewhere!

yea, there has to be a solution somewhere. is there a way to run windows in safe mode with my graphics drivers?

There is a program that will set Windows to load just the basic driver set, video, sound and minimal windows services and the program that you specify, reboot and run just that program. It's not safe mod, but a full working Windows environment. After your done playing, you just exit the game and windows will automatically reboot normally, but I forget what it's called. :facepalm

I did some looking over the weekend trying to jog my memory, but I couldn't find anything. :modding

I will keep looking mate, I'll dig through my bookmarks, I know it's out there because I have used it on Vista before.

that might be the ticket. that will tell me if the problem is with my hardware or software. I hope its not a problem with my video card.

I used msconfig to remove all startup items that weren't needed (updated, google this, adobe that) and still no luck.

I am still looking mate, I have some free time this weekend, so maybe I can come up with something. :shrug

I do have one bit of news though, that program that I was thinking about was called Bart PE, it really is only effective for applications and not games, sorry I got your hopes up mate. Sometimes my memory really stinks! There have been a few that were able to get it to work with some games, but I don't believe anything as 3D as CoAS. If your curious, you can read more about it HERE, for Vista you need Vista PE.

One thing I forgot to mention last week, if you have Vista Aero active on your desktop that can sometimes cause problems, I believe you can set the properties in the shortcut to do it automatically every time you run the game. If your not sure how, have a look HERE!

well, I think its a video card problem. I reported that my card only got to 107. i was reading the wrong line. it maxed out at 141. also I noticed that while in the f2 menu the temp drops to normal levels (I reported that it didn't freeze in that menu yet) That is with the graphics maxed. I will lower them and see what happens. i cant believe that my card gets that hot with this game. Could the game be incompatible with it?

Wow, that is hot! Especially for this game, the card you have shouldn't even break a sweat running the 3D in this game. Are your temps in other games the same? You are using a desktop right? Check the fans and airflow in your case, make sure that you don't have any plugs or ribbon cables blocking the airflow.

If it's only getting that hot in CoAS, then I am not sure what is going on, unless it is some kind of freak over processing. Download a copy of RivaTuner, it's a performance tweaking program. It was originally designed for Nvidia cards, but it will work on ATI as well. If you have never used it before, I would recommend that you don't use any of the tweaking options, unless you really know what your doing mate, just use it for the hardware monitoring. It will show the GPU load, frames, temp, voltages, and fan speeds. If you think you need to tweak something, do it from the Catalyst Control Center, until you get more familiar with RivaTuner.

Holy crap that is hot. My card averages mid 50s while running this game with Vista SP2. My card does have it's own fans. Have you tried opening your box up and leaving the hatch off? Is everything clean? My son added an additional fan to his when it started heating. I've had folks at work use external fans blowing into the open box when they're running high end stuff.

MK

well, I think its a video card problem. I reported that my card only got to 107. i was reading the wrong line. it maxed out at 141. also I noticed that while in the f2 menu the temp drops to normal levels (I reported that it didn't freeze in that menu yet) That is with the graphics maxed. I will lower them and see what happens. i cant believe that my card gets that hot with this game. Could the game be incompatible with it?

And if the Video card does have a fan on it, clean it if its dirty because that will be one reason why its getting so hot. I clean my PC every month without fail and as MK sail leave the side of or slightly open, this is why i have to clean mine so often is because i do just that but for the added problem of cleaning at least the comp doesn't get as hot now. If you don't want to leave the die open add some more fans if you can, or only open the side when your playing games.

I have the standard fan a the rear. I have a fan pulling air in at the front. there is a fan on the card that vents the air out the back of the case. I also added a fan inside blowing directly on the card. my case also has a big mesh hole on the side. I shouldn't have to open it. that said this is the only game that the card gets hot on.every other game doesnt get this hot. that said I now have my temps displayed on my g15 keyboard so I will have to play some games and see what the temps are. I also do blow it out regularly. The everest program also has a log function. I will see what I can log.

case:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=30

card:
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/ATI-RADEON-HD-5000/HD-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx

temp monitor program:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/everest-pc-diagnostics

case fan (set on medium speed - high is too noisy)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+Spot+Cool+Case+Fan/8013339.p?id=1156203596895&skuId=8013339&st=8013339&cp=1&lp=1

i saw that COAS was listed as supporting 3D? would this be causing problems as I don't have that turned on in my card?

Your card handles two different types of 3D, standard 3D video acceleration which uses either DirectX or OpenGL to simulate a 3D environment, and it also supports the new Stereoscopic 3D. The new Stereoscopic 3D requires special drivers, 3D glasses and a monitor that supports it. CoAS doesn't support this new type Stereoscopic 3D, it uses the standard DirectX. You should definitely not turn on the Stereoscopic 3D for CoAS.

I don't really have enough experience with the new cards to be of much use, you might have a look over at the AMD Game Forums, they may be able to help you track down your issues better than I can mate.

I forced the video card fan to 75% which kept the temps down some. but it still froze. so heat is not the problem. oblivion has been running around 130 deg f with no problems.

I loaded the latest update (sept 19 i think) of my video driver and still nothing. so I give up. I love the game but restarting every half hour (or so, sometimes less) gets very old quick. although I still think that it is a conflict with my video card.

Back