• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Water in the Ocean Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, the water is too clear but the rest looks waaaaaay better than stock. :onya When I first started playing COAS I was struck by how dark and dreary the world is and by how green the water is. I've been experimenting with using POTC values and have got the water from where I'm sailing through an algae bloom to an inland lake, but the sky is the big problem. You seem to have fixed that!

You seem to like the FWzP. I gotta get the POTC version into COAS. It looks like you are using V1 with the bad sails.

Sock it to me Hylie. Didn't realize there was a newer version. I don't think NH has the texture Craiggo did up for me. If you look at the taffrail you will see the arms of Holland, not the horse and king. This version is also darker. Craiggo did this skin up especially for me and I LOVE IT! He is awesome! If you give me the improved model I will pop my favored textures on top.

On the water....I would rather it be a little too clear and sometimes a little too bright than the foggy darkness it was. I never said I would get it perfect, but its a heck of a lot better than it was as I illustrated in the previous video clips. Glad you like it.

MK

That is pretty clear. The clearest water I've ever seen in my life had a visibility of about thirty feet looking down from the surface. Normally you can't see more than twenty in that area. (It was during the Pilgrim sail this year in the Isthmus of Catalina- an absolute anomaly.) Otherwise, the waves look good.

I've been in places in both the Caribbean and South Pacific islands where you can see the bottom very clearly and the distances are easily greater than 50 feet. It really depends on the place, weather and time of day/year. I am still working on it. I still don't plan on releasing the mid era mod till Christmas and the late/early until Spring. So I have time. I'm obviously not in a hurry. Oohps my rum glass is empty again...excuse me. MK

Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me! Sock it to me???? :monkeydance Rowan and Martin's Laugh In was my mostest favoritest show. :love

Here is a link to the FWzP from my Dropbox in the "downloads" section at the top of the page.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tp...d ships/ships repaired after patch 7/FWzP1.7z
Previous experience with porting POTC ships to COAS has shown that sometimes the main sails go whacky bonkers. I am playing Luke's GOF2 and the FWzP is not in there yet, so I could not make sure the sails are ok myself.

Sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me! Sock it to me???? :monkeydance Rowan and Martin's Laugh In was my mostest favoritest show. :love

You are dating yourself a little there my friend and I remember them as well growing up. That was the last of the comedy variety shows. I was in love with Goldie Hawn and always said I would marry someone that looked like her. In the Army we used to sing a cadence - "They say that in the Army - the women are mighty fine!" (Marching formation repeats) "They look like Phyllis Diller and march like Frankenstein!" ..... Everytime I sang that I thought about Laugh In. You know the ole gal passed away just a short time back. She was hilarious.

Thanks for the updated FWzP. She is indeed my favorite ship in game.

MK

Sock it to me????? That was Nixon's line and indeed we did. I had already been drafted and come back by then and really missed R & M.

hello, i am interested in this project. i have noticed that both gof 1.3 beta and 2 have weather state modifications. are those two the same as this project? if so, would copying over the 'Program/Weather' folder from 1.3 and 2 over two gof 1.2 be enough to see the modifications. Thank you fro your time and patience.

No, these are different projects. This one is part of Modern Knight's Eras Mod.

The Weather mods are being done by Luke 159 methinks. He would know more about it.

I am also awaiting this with bated breath.

Luke had made an earlier weather mod a year or two ago. He did another update to it for GOF 2.0. However that is totally different than the work I am doing. Luke wanted wave changes, but didn't do anything to the color. My mod changes waves, color, opacity/translucence and I do so using many files and script edits from AOP: Caribbean Tales and New Horizons. I didn't just make changes to the weather files. I also made changes to the sha files, texture files, and color scripts.

Like I said I will release this as a separate mod when its done. That probably wont happen until Era's Module 2 is released. I will package the weather for it separately for those that want it.

MK

OK so I have a question before I make even more work for myself.

As some of you already know and as I've complained about myself, stock vanilla COAS is way too foggy and dark. So I change the weather and water and find out it was shoddy workmanship to cover islands that are on a plane above the Z level of the horizon. That means the water looks real, the color is correct, the sky is beautiful on a clear day - it looks much more like the Caribbean on a clear day, -----only problem is - the islands in the distance look like they are floating.

Since learning photoshop, I have been familiarizing myself with a huge amount of our games textures. I have managed to find all of the island textures.

So my question is this. if I add a light blue coloring to the bottom of the islands, OR a sandy beach color extending their depth, will the game simply start from the bottom of the new segments I add so that they are floating too - OR do you guys think this might be a way to close these floating gaps so we can enjoy the nicer weather and water I've worked on for so long??????

Anyone have any ideas, or am I just going to have to wing it?

MK

How can you make the bottom of the islands light blue? Change the island textures? But isn't that going to look REAL weird when you get closer to them?
I suspect that you're going to have to decrease the visibility until the game engine isn't showing weird effects like floating islands. :(

Right now as it is you don't see the bottom of the island textures when you get close to them, so my theory is that you would only see the blue or sand color added to the bottom of the textures when you have the problem on the distant horizon. The islands only float when you are far away from them. They look fine when you are closer.

I have already played with the code with no effect. Even Pirate KK when he was playing with the source said this couldn't be fixed with a code change. That's why I'm looking at a texture fix to the problem. My worry is that I will put in the work to match the colors etc....and the islands will just float even higher.

I'm guessing no one knows the answer, so I will probably just try this out....

MK

Hmm. My initial thought is that the island models simply need to be moved downwards, but up close I'm guessing that would make them look odd.
A better solution might be to actually extend the bottom of the islands downwards. That could theoretically mean the islands look the same up close, but also don't appear to float from afar.
It would require experience in Maya to do this. Perhaps after the next Build update is released this weekend, I could try to help you with this.

Thanks Armada!

A lot of the time it isn't that noticeable. You see a thin line of blue sky peeping from under the distant shoreline. I was thinking I wouldn't have to extend the texture that far. Are you certain the mountains are actually modeled? Or is it just painted their 2D as an illusion at a certain distance. I mean the textures for the islands are 2D renderings, and that's why I thought I could possibly just extend the texture itself further downwards.

I will take some screenshots to show you guys. I will also see if I can find the texture for that particular island I shoot - and put a big thick black line along its bottom edge in photoshop and then convert it back to TGA.TX and put it back in the game just to experiment.

MK

I'm just guessing at how it works. If you can see the floating island from a distance, and sail straight to it without any loading screens, then I assume it is a 3D mesh, in which case you can't extend the bottom just by changing the textures. Even if the textures are 2D renderings that look like mountain ranges, I suspect the textures are repeatedly mapped to different parts of the islands.
Some screenshots would be very useful, either way. :read

Well I think you are right. The distance is further than a texture alone can cover. I did manage to make it better I think, but you can still see the floating. There are only actually four island mesh faces for coastlines. The game uses combinations of these to make you think it is more random and varied. So it shouldn't be all that much work to extend them downwards.

Been busy lately, so only able to mod at night. Here are some screens. Sorry for the large sizes, but that's the only way I think that you will be able to see what I'm talking about. MK

Before:
start_121128_2257348.JPG
start_121128_2257255.JPGstart_121128_2257466.JPGstart_121128_2258403.JPG
start_121128_2258061.JPG

You will notice it gets worse as you move the camera higher away from the ship. So now here's an example of the 2D texture panel that I modded. I added an inch of length to the height and extended the image further down so that there is a slight double image at the bottom. Then I added a blue stripe at the very bottom.

back_mountains w blue strip.jpg

Here's after. I think it is better now, but there is still clearly some floating. I will test some more. I am going to cut those masts off that Dutch frigate in the next day or so myself. Perhaps you can help me figure out how to extend the corresponding mesh to this terrain as well.

AFTER:

start_121129_0217026.JPG
start_121129_0217205.JPGstart_121128_2259446.JPG

In that very last thumb you can still see the sky peeking out from under the land, but I have the camera quite high, and usually its much worse at this angle and distance. BTW that's AOP1 water in the forground and POTC NH water in the background.

MK

Lots of changes there. You are making a real difference to COAS! Is the sky improved also?

Thanks for the complement Hylie!

I reviewed the nicest sky files from both COAS and AOP1. So yes there a few replaced sky files from AOP1:CT.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back