• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Weapons Balance

DocMoriarty

Powder Monkey
Not satisfied with weapons balance in build 14 beta 3!

Actually when i was a young character it was ok, but now being teenager (12) it gets worse. I play journeyman level and think fights should be doable at this level but they aren't. It's always bad balance when you die 3 times doing the same stuff.

Well the problem is that uber weapons get available at too low levels with damages in the range 20-40 whilst only having totally useless bandage rolls which heal way too low number of hp. Thats like 3 hits and you are dead. Constantly loosing officers and stuff. No fun at all.

To remedy this there are 3 basic solutions:
1. tone down weapon stats to reasonable values
2. hand weapons of certain powers out at higher levels
3. introduce a basic balance multiplier for weapon damage

Since I'm lazy and want to play and not rebalance the whole game i opted for the 3rd and added 2 basic balance multipliers for blades and guns to InternalSettings.h. These are BASIC_BLADE_DMG_MULT and BASIC_GUN_DMG_MULT and used them in PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_fightparams.c in LAi_BladeCalcDamage() and LAi_GunCalcDamage().

NOTE: my InternalSettings.h is already heavily modified to get the balance somehow to where it should be and partially experimental so someone wants to add this to build mod then only take the 2 values from InternalSettings.h.

Wouldn't mind to see these introduced in build mod as quick remedy for bad balance!

Attachments

• InternalSettings.h
    69.9 KB · Views: 161
  • LAi_fightparams.c
    35 KB · Views: 176
I'm not at all sure how well balanced the swords are.
The pistols should make some sort of sense though since I calculated them through based on player level.

Reality. What a concept! - Robin Williams

When you are starting the game you are at the bottom of the food chain with no skills and are indeed very easy to kill. Adapt or die! Learn when to run and when and how to fight. Remember that there is no such thing as a fair fight. That means a quick slash with the Borgia blade and then running away is perfectly acceptable. Hide behind your officers and pick the opponents off when you can. Fred Bob is very wide and easy to hide behind. :bird:

I disagree. There is reality on one side and an enjoyable gaming experience on the other. It's not only the unbalance of the weapons but also being rushed by too many enemies at times. The constant saving and loading is a total immersion killer.

There is currently a problem with my simple mod though, somehow suddenly one of the chars taking part in a fight starts to get extreme xp and leveling up like 100 levels in 1 fight with the reduced damage. Sounds weird. Need to find it.

Try playing any other storyline than "Tales of a Sea Hawk". You start off at level 5, not level 1.

Before starting a new game, go into "InternalSettings.h" and disable "ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS". That way you'll be able to spend ability points to get "Advanced Blocking" and "Toughness" without having to hunt down the book for the first and survive a mass mugging for the second.

"2. hand weapons of certain powers out at higher levels"
This is already done. If you get a Letter of Marque and are then promoted a few times, you'll get a free sword. Alternatively, raid a few dungeons - if you survive, you'll get plenty of improvement to your Melee skill, as well as a good sword, especially in the cavern of Barbados. Or, if you are playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", get your reputation up to Matey and then go to Kralendijk, where someone just inside the tavern has a personal problem - solve it for him and he'll give you a very nice sword...

Back